Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Best Way to avoid SPAM?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Knute

what is the best way, to avoid spam when using forums? I never got any Spam at this email until I signed up here. I guess it's because of the email in my profile

~ Knute

• User profile image
    jj5

SpamBayes.

John.

• User profile image
    Nystul

1. Never, ever post your email in online forums, newsgroups, etc. Ever.
    2. Get yourself a good news aggregator. NewsGator is worth much more than the modest $29 that they are asking for it.
    3. Whenever you make a post, whether it be here or to some NNTP newsgroup, you can watch for replies from within NewsGator. Since each forum thread has its own RSS feed, any replies you might hope to get will come directly to you without you handing your email address over to spammers. NewsGator's NNTP support doesn't have thread-based RSS feeds, but it pulls down all new posts when you ask it to so that you can check for replies. And since it integrates into Outlook 2003, you can sort by conversation to find your replies in a threaded view.

• User profile image
    barogers

Create a free email account at Hotmail, Yahoo, etc. and hand out that account name rather than your "clean" account.

Use IM or private messaging to trade your clean email address with other forum users for off-forum conversations.

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

Knute wrote:
    what is the best way, to avoid spam when using forums? I never got any Spam at this email until I signed up here. I guess it's because of the email in my profile

~ Knute

Never post your email on the internet, do not give it out to untrusted websites, do not make it a free/isp email, when posting it online, use html entities to hide it from spambots, and so on.

• User profile image
    IceFreak2000

One of the ways I avoid spam is to use a specific valid email address in newsgroups (a sure-fire way of generating spam traffic).

All of the mail sent to this address is automatically fed into SpamAssassin which helps it to build up its filters.

I *very* rarely ever get anything pass through nowadays.

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

IceFreak2000 wrote:
    One of the ways I avoid spam is to use a specific valid email address in newsgroups (a sure-fire way of generating spam traffic).

All of the mail sent to this address is automatically fed into SpamAssassin which helps it to build up its filters.

I *very* rarely ever get anything pass through nowadays.

What if someone sends you a valid email?

• User profile image
    IceFreak2000

The only place the email address is ever broadcast is in a newsgroup - and it's patently obvious to any human trying to mail to it that it's a spamtrap.

My *real* email address is something completely different.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.