Coffeehouse Thread

45 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

do we need user rankings?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

ive stayed away from suggesting this..in the community spirit and all..

but its true - the n00bs are out - shell out shell out

makes you feel like somewhat of a fool spending so much of your time writing / thinking / coming up with threads for c9 - only to be called a troll or whatever by "casual" posters

i no i requested Sort by author - but honestly c9 - you have got to have some sort of... give and take. Right now - thats not whats happening.

i dont want to say the star system - by posts.. but something

its the big one year celebration - but im feeling like there is not too much to celebrate..

is it just me?  should it not be recognized that there are certain members that are here day in day out?

sorry im piszed off at being labeled a troll by a "drive by poster"

..now if youll excuse me i have a bridge to to get back too

signed billy goat grant

ps - if not - fine. - ill admit to being PEEVED as i write this

new day tommorrow..

ohm  ohm

• User profile image
    Sabot

Jamie I think you are like the majority, you would like to see balance. The IT industry is just like politics with a conservative right and a liberal left with the all important middle ground. Typically the party that controls the middle ground governs and rules because it has the majority.

Just like politics our industry has extremists, although their numbers are few they are very vocal. I totally understand where you are coming from and would like to say that I totally support your point of view that we do need to concentrate on the middle ground.

Rather than having both operating systems (Linux and Windows) being able to co-exist on the same device, I prefer the approach that software running on a device, no matter what operating system will be able to communicate and share any data easily, reliably, quickly and securely.

I also hold the belief that operating system and software should be chosen based on it being the best for the job it will have to perform. Also the choice of software has to be strategic; there is no point in purchasing software that only runs on Linux if all your servers run Windows and all of your staff has only been trained in Windows as an example. This isn’t basis; it’s just common-sense.

Some ambassadors for Linux (not all) that currently occupy our forum in my mind are just to extreme in their views for me to comfortable in being sympathetic about their cause as many of the arguments seem rant like and often juvenile. My message to them is clear … tone it down … and more people will listen to you and except that people will disagree.

As for rankings, well something to discuss, personally I think it could be a good thing. So cheer up mate, time for a group hug.

• User profile image
    eagle

jamie wrote:
    feel like somewhat of a fool spending so much of your time writing / thinking / coming up with threads for c9

Channel9 would be a better place without you firing off five threads in succession!

Many of the “jamie” threads are just fat pitches lobed at the open sorcerers.

Please, please, please stop talking directly to “Microsoft” like a Protestant minister talking to God, this is a community.  

• User profile image
    Jaz

i don't want user rankings, but perhaps with the 1 year anniversary coming up maybe the people who are here day in day out should all be allocated a special 1 year badge

• User profile image
    Marsella

How would the ranking work, time of join, number of posts, quality of posts, modding system (\.)? Bit harsh Eagle.

• User profile image
    Ovidiu.​Platon

It might be interesting to have some form of statistics about C9 activity. Many communities have a vast silent majority and a vocal minority. Maybe the "casual, drive by" poster has been reading the forum for a while and got sick of useless junk posted constantly by some.
    By statistics, I mean initiated threads and replies, on the one hand, and threads read/last login/login count/login frequency on the other hand. The star system might be a good way of ranking individual posts, but it's also highly subjective (I don't read every single post around here and I certainly won't rank each).
    Besides, there's the risk of people replying indefinitely just to increase their activity stats, and there's one last question: Beside your ego being hurt by some "drive by" poster's opinion, what would the final purpose be?

• User profile image
    Tensor

Keeps coming up this one doesnt it? /. implemented the whole self-modding/karma system to allow users to make sense of the vast amount of posts, mort of which where "OMG WTF 1337 f1r57 p0st l1nux 5uXX0r5", or somthing to do with Hot grits, Natelie Portman, the death of Stephen King, or what what gets done in Soviet Russia. for the most part it works.

None of that stuff happens here. Threads are typicaly 10-12 posts long - not he 100s or 1000s of /.. Spam get removed by the mods, all is relatively calm and happy. Maybe one day C9 will approach the size of /. - in the mean time I dotn think we need anything like that... In fact i think making a cadre of "regulars" is not healthy... I would argue that the site is allready dominated by a few people with strong personalities - thats not a dig at you Jamie or anyone else - it is what it is. Voices that would be lost in the static of /. can be loud here.

• User profile image
    Nrp

Marsella said:
    How would the ranking work, time of join, number of posts, quality of posts, modding system (\.)? Bit harsh Eagle.

Until you wrote that question I thought a rating system should not be implemented.  However you managed to spark the problem solver within me.

I purpose that a user's rating should be based on voting by other users on the quality of individual posts.  That way each post, thread and even forum could be rated.

In addition if you guys were feeling "perky", you could implement an advanced statistical model.  Everyone on the forums should start with a set rating and some sort of expected error, which should decrease as more ratings/votes are invoked on the user's content.  Obviously a "vote" from a higher ranked user should be worth more than a vote from a lower ranked person.

If you are feeling lazy, you could just implement a 5 star system and calculate an average.  It would of course be wise to log the votes so that another statistics model could be implemented in the future.

Of course open source communists should be restricted from using the system.

• User profile image
    Bogusrabin

Tensor wrote:
    "OMG WTF 1337 f1r57 p0st l1nux 5uXX0r5"

If you didn't understand this might help you ...

• User profile image
    Rossj

Nrp wrote:
    Of course open source communists should be restricted from using the system.

Nice and fair then?

• User profile image
    Tensor

Bogusrabin wrote:

If you didn't understand this might help you ...

Does that remind anyone else of the drugs conference in Fear and Loathing? Smiley

• User profile image
    Maurits

The article missed the main point of l33t - evading keyword agents.  A low form of encryption, like Furrfu.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Tensor wrote:
    most of which where "OMG WTF 1337 f1r57 p0st l1nux 5uXX0r5", or somthing to do with Hot grits, Natelie Portman, the death of Stephen King, or what what gets done in Soviet Russia. 

In Soviet Russia, 1337h4x0rs post YOU!

• User profile image
    harumscarum

no I dont think we need them. I do think that Jamie needs a hug though. Smiley

• User profile image
    Cairo

sorry im piszed off at being labeled a troll by a "drive by poster"

Hi Jamie. I stand by my statement. Explain to me how your "drive-bys" on non-Microsoft software (e.g., Firefox) are not trolls.

• User profile image
    ahockley

Yes, let's rank users.

I rank Jamie "Annoying".

So what if you post every day?  Why not try waiting and only posting when you have something relevant to say?  I'd rather see folks make one intelligent post a month than five ridiculous ones a day...

But by your standards, whoever posts the most is "better"?

• User profile image
    Cairo

harumscarum wrote:
    no I dont think we need them. I do think that Jamie needs a hug though. Smiley

Someone call Chubby Huggs!

</getfuzzy>

• User profile image
    Maurits

How about a personal "ignore these users" list?  If I find a particular user annoying, I add them to my "ignore" list.  Then instead of seeing what they post, I see a message like (this post has been hidden because AnnoyingUser is on your "ignore" list Remove)

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.