Coffeehouse Thread

26 posts

Bill Gates interviewed by Peter Jennings on ABC World News Tonight

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • scobleizer

This is one of the best interviews of Bill Gates that I've seen. Peter was tough and asked about a ton of questions. Firefox. iPod. Open Source. Security. Product Quality.

• Sabot

JENNINGS: You have been a big advocate of travel. And you have on occasion said that Americans who spent more time traveling in Africa, for one, would learn something. What would we learn?

GATES: Well I think there is a lot of compassion when you see people in a very tough situation. When you see parents dying of AIDS, you see orphans, you see malaria. If you don't see it — if you are just reading the statistics its hard to relate to and its hard to think of it as something that you need to help change. So actually getting out to India, to Africa, that's critical to me to make sure my foundations is doing effective work and you know renews my commitment to take all the wealth I have and make sure it goes back to causes like world health.

JENNINGS: But you are a very specific example in this case and I will come to that, how do you think the average American would change if he or she traveled more?

GATES: I think they'd vote for Politicians who cared more about the developing world and the tough conditions there. That our aid would be more enlightened and a higher percentage of what we do. I think they would want to get involved themselves in either being a part of a volunteer organization here in the U.S. or even spending some time helping out overseas. I think they would feel a more common bond and realize how privileged they are.

• W3bbo

Has anyone noticed that in every single interview that "Big Dollar Bill" he gives Microsoft licensee's and their own products a plug when the question was about the competition?

Consider the iPod question.... he hijacks the conversation to talk about how great the Creative Zen Micro is.

Consider the BBC interview he gave a few weeks ago, there he hyped about the Media Center PC when asked about where computers were headed.

In an interview he gave for CNN's Richard Quest (the most annoying news anchor in existence) he couldn't stop himself from divulging the virtues of the SPOT watch and (again) Windows Media Center.

Here's a better question for Big Dollar Bill:

"Without mentioning a single Microsoft, Microsoft-derived, or Microsoft-licensed product in your response at ALL, what do you think of Linux, iPod, Firefox, and Web Standards?"

Scoble: See if you can pass that to the big guy (maybe on the internal email system?)

• W3bbo

Bill Gates wrote:
    I think they'd vote for Politicians who cared more about the developing world and the tough conditions there. That our aid would be more enlightened and a higher percentage of what we do.

Didn't Bill vote republican last year?

• Maurits

Probably worth $2K to get the Republican telemarketers off his back Wink

• variable

W3bbo wrote:

"Without mentioning a single Microsoft, Microsoft-derived, or Microsoft-licensed product in your response at ALL, what do you think of Linux, iPod, Firefox, and Web Standards?"

Scoble: See if you can pass that to the big guy (maybe on the internal email system?)

W3bbo, you, your thoughts and your disgusting avatar are a waste of bandwidth. Go away and keep your hands out of my pockets!

• variable

What are you saying? Republicans don't care about other people? You are wrong!!!! Bill Gates is the supreame example of a Republican. His comment means elect people that don't tax the crap out of you so you can help the world too. Bill is helping people and the world. He as a citizen, not the government. That is what republicans believe. Government has no business managing social programs. None.

• NeoTOM

variable wrote:
    W3bbo wrote:

W3bbo, you, your thoughts and your disgusting avatar are a waste of bandwidth. Go away and keep your hands out of my pockets!

Variable, this is knife, go away

• NeoTOM

Wow, I had no idea I'd ever see Bill Gates being asked tech questions by Peter Jennings.

Stupid commentary:

JENNINGS: On the subject of music, I read somewhere that about 80 percent of Microsoft employees who have a music playing instrument or a music playing device use an iPod.

GATES: Well, I doubt that's the case.

As do I. Any Microsoft guy want to back him up on this?

"I use the Creative Zen which is a fantastic product."

Sorry, but what is it with people's fascination with blue? The one big reason I don't want a Zen is because of that baby blue light that, no matter what color your Zen is, you have backlighting the thing. I'm pretty sure there's other reasons, too, but I just can't stand that blue!

JENNINGS: SPAM?

GATES: Why yes, thank you. (takes some) Mmm, pork snouts!

JENNINGS: What's the worst thing about gaming?

GATES: Well, gaming can be so interesting that it draws you away from reading or doing your homework. Certainly in our household there'll be a budget for how much time gets spent in front of the videogame.

Oww, the truth. Bill, please, when you come here for our 1st birthday, tell me how you implemented that.

• ScanIAm

On a side note, for some reason, the page that hosts the interview causes my browser (ie) to crash like James Dean at an intersection.

• NeoTOM

ScanIAm wrote:
    On a side note, for some reason, the page that hosts the interview causes my browser (ie) to crash like James Dean at an intersection.

I blame spyware. Came up fine for me.

*preemptive "convert, my friend" defense*

• ScanIAm

I rebooted and it happened again.  I run all the various spyware apps on a regular basis.  I have, noticed this happen on other occasions.

I installed a hosts file that eliminates ads.  I think that some of these sites somehow figure that out and cause trouble Smiley

• Sabot

W3bbo wrote:
    Has anyone noticed that in every single interview that "Big Dollar Bill" he gives Microsoft licensee's and their own products a plug when the question was about the competition?

Consider the iPod question.... he hijacks the conversation to talk about how great the Creative Zen Micro is.

Consider the BBC interview he gave a few weeks ago, there he hyped about the Media Center PC when asked about where computers were headed.

Blimey I’m going to sound like some kind of Bill Gates apologist now, but what the heck …

Now imagine for a second, (because if you’re bright that’s all it will take!) you are a Chair of a successful company, wouldn’t you be proud of every single product your company makes.

Reading the interview I didn’t detect marketing spin, I detected a man who is proud of his creations and the things that use his creations.

Now people go away and read a blog by a Microsoft person, infact any Microsoft person! I think you can see that these guys genuinely love what they do and take a hell of allot of proud in what they do. I think we should just take a moment to recognise that.

After being so anti-microsoft for such along time, I feel that now we are talking to the real people of Microsoft and not the marketing people so we are seeing the real message, and that is Guys and Girls that just want to make really good kit.

Beer28 mate … do you live in the UK, near London? If so, we need to go out for afew beers (not as many as 28), you can talk Linux all you want and get it out of your system. Or see you at the Geek Dinner on the 24th?

Because, Man you need to relax !!!

• W3bbo

variable wrote:
    W3bbo wrote:

By my comment regarding republicans, it was a poor attempt at humour, playing on the popular stereotype that republicans are self-centered and ignore the rest of the worlds problems. (Such as Kyoto, the UN, Iraq, etc)

Fortunatley I live in the UK, so you cannot really ask me to comment, needless to say, I don't plan on voting this year (We need a change from Labour, but the Conservative's plans for public services and higher-education are unworkable, and the Liberal Democrats aren't going to get into power, and don't get me started on the BNP)

• manickernel

Thanks Sabot.... for attempting to bring a bit of mature commentary here. Unfortunately whenever the subject of Bill Gates and altruistic actions comes up the anklebiters turn out in force. Microsoft has made a greater contribution to world health than many countries. They granted computers to libraries and schools across the US, and continue to provide software at greatly reduced prices to education. (and of course the anklebiters say this is to hook those poor souls on drugs) The Gates Foundation is perhaps the best example of a charitable effort that strives to put dollars on the heads of those in need, rather than line the pockets of corrupt goverments and aid agencies. The Gates Foundation does this without any attempt of self promotion, although when one is as big as they it does occaissionally hit the news. This is the true meaning of and spirit of helping others.

OH, I am a republican.

But I loved Jimmy Carter. He was just too naive, as are most Democrats.

GATES: Well I think most people are kind of overwhelmed with the statistics. You know that you hear a million people die of Malaria, several million people die of AIDS, and its hard to relate to. Whereas if you knew just one family, and saw what was happening there, you could understand that those children have joy and opportunity, just like your children do. Then it would be easier to relate to. And so for me, you know I study the statistics, but I also have to go over there and have that direct connection to really renew my belief that every life should be treated on an equal basis.

GATES: Well, I looked at what is the greatest inequity in the world. The U.S. is very oriented towards solving inequity — gender inequity, racial inequity. In fact, you'd have to say, the great inequity is that we let people die of these diseases. We treat their lives as being worth less than a few hundred dollars because that's what it would take to save them. And so there's a huge disparity and bringing the advances in science to those diseases can change that in a big way. So, my goal was to pick the thing I thought was the greatest inequity in the world, focus on that as our top priority and that's world health and then take the greatest challenge for the United States and make that also a priority and that's the work we're doing in education.

• W3bbo

I agree about the philanthropic interests of the Foundation, but one cannot dismiss any theories about ulterior motives, especially considering Microsoft's own business practices.

Consider that the Foundation regularly donates to "The Discovery Institute", a highly conservative think-tank that promotes the teaching of creationism in schools and provides funding to "Creation-'Science'" organisations.

• rjdohnert

Great Interview!!!!  Really good job Bill.  That interview makes me wanna start a Bill Gates fan club.  One thing you have to give Bill, Love him or hate him, he does excellent interviews.

• Zaczek

W3bbo wrote:
    I agree about the philanthropic interests of the Foundation, but one cannot dismiss any theories about ulterior motives, especially considering Microsoft's own business practices.

Right. Well, it's not hard to make the connection between
    the crusade for intellectual property and against generic drugs and philantropic foundations and the push to
    deliver proprietary drugs as part of humanitarian programs.

This is Bill all right and his argument about
    how intellectual property will save the world. The foundation and the software business is part of the same thing. Is this good or evil? Decide for yourself.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.