Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Microsoft...You're Screwed

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    intelman

It baffles my mind at the sheer amount of vista bashing crap out there. I agree that Vista is slower than it should be, but this is ridiculous.  Comparing a 10 year old OS to the current one. If it really is faster though, that is lame.

http://techtalk.pcpitstop.com/2008/04/03/windows-98-turns-70-in-dog-years/

• User profile image
    JChung2006

98 does less than Vista.  However, maybe there's a lesson to be learned from that...

• User profile image
    Bass

JChung2006 said:
    98 does less than Vista.  However, maybe there's a lesson to be learned from that...
    Huh? I don't see the big deal. Vista is has been trashed pretty much everywhere, including in the mainstream. Oh no! Not another dude with a blog!!

Personally I don't like Vista very much either. But if you like it, more power to you.

• User profile image
    Ray7

And this is worth blogging  about?

Of course Windows98 is 'faster' than Vista. If he ran DOS on the machine it would be faster still.

Chances are that he wouldn't be able to do as much.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Ray7 said:
    And this is worth blogging  about?

Of course Windows98 is 'faster' than Vista. If he ran DOS on the machine it would be faster still.

Chances are that he wouldn't be able to do as much.

Depends on how you measure 'faster'.  I'm sure Vista could win in certain benchmarks; for example, did 98 even have multi-core support?

I've noticed some bloggers who have tried Vista since SP1 came out and changed their minds.  I got into the SP1 beta (Likely due to being invited to the original Longhorn/Vista beta).

<Cheap plug>

I wrote a series of posts on the subject, and went through much turmoil and internal dispute before finally making it my primary OS - Despite having gotten a free license via the Longhorn Beta program (Thanks whoever invited me; I couldn't find the invite thread).

</cheap plug>

I think people are finally starting to realize that (With SP1 applied) Vista is a solid OS.  It's the most aesthetically appealing OS I've ever seen, and my network file transfers are faster than ever before (Having reinstalled my File & Printer Sharing).

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

SlackmasterK said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*
    Depends on how you measure 'faster'.  I'm sure Vista could win in certain benchmarks; for example, did 98 even have multi-core support?

I've noticed some bloggers who have tried Vista since SP1 came out and changed their minds.  I got into the SP1 beta (Likely due to being invited to the original Longhorn/Vista beta).

<Cheap plug>

I wrote a series of posts on the subject, and went through much turmoil and internal dispute before finally making it my primary OS - Despite having gotten a free license via the Longhorn Beta program (Thanks whoever invited me; I couldn't find the invite thread).

</cheap plug>

I think people are finally starting to realize that (With SP1 applied) Vista is a solid OS.  It's the most aesthetically appealing OS I've ever seen, and my network file transfers are faster than ever before (Having reinstalled my File & Printer Sharing).
    Sorry dude, but the UI of your site is horrible.

• User profile image
    stevo_

Sven Groot said:
    SlackmasterK said:
    *snip*
    3d mark is never a good way to benchmark a systems ability to do heavy processing (even such as gaming).. even if vista is the 'netburst' of os's.. the hardware is so much faster now that nobody cares..

People need to get over this thing of counting processes, or getting stressed about their memory being used..

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Sven Groot said:
    SlackmasterK said:
    *snip*
    Yeah, I haven't really gotten much feedback on it tbh... What do you think of the old one?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

SlackmasterK said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*
    Yeah, I haven't really gotten much feedback on it tbh... What do you think of the old one?
    Sorry, but that's just as bad. Bottom line is, I hate monospace fonts for anything other than code.

• User profile image
    Cream​Filling512

SlackmasterK said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*

<Cheap plug>

</cheap plug>

Win98 certainly had no SMP support, I can't imagine it being faster in any benchmark anyway.  Unless you're measuring performance of real-mode DOS applications.

• User profile image
    Charles

Comparing Windows 98 to an NT-based general purpose OS like Vista is like comparing raisins to pineapples.... Rediculous.

For one thing, Windows 98-type OSes have no user mode/kernel boundary, are highly insecure and, well, are dead and gone for good. That species of OS is extinct and for good reason. There are so many significant differences in OS physiology that any meaningful comparison is pointless.

Vista, with all of its apparent problems (some very real, some not so much) is the core Windows architecture of the forseeable future (core OS, kernel, HAL, base driver model, etc). Sure, Windows 7 will be an evolutionary release (I'd imagine - I know very little about the offering, but that will change when the Windows team opens its doors to C9), but the core architecture will most likely be very similar (and users don't care about core architecture anyway; and they shouldn't. The system should just work as expected.)

C

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.