Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Microsoft, and Rip-Off-Britain

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jh71283

Just been looking at costs for the Microsoft Empower for ISVs.

US: $375

UK: £260 = $514 (plus £45.5 ($90) in tax.)

WTF?!?!

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

EU import tax,.

• User profile image
    Minh

Maddus Mattus said:
    EU import tax,.
    Bill Gates: Fine me for monopolistic practices will ya? Two can play that game!

• User profile image
    jh71283

Maddus Mattus said:
    EU import tax,.
    Maybe, I'm not sure though. 27% seems pretty steep, but you may be right.

• User profile image
    SaraJoRedux

jh71283 said:
    Maddus Mattus said:
    *snip*
    or the dollar could be crap.

• User profile image
    Rd_Falcon

SaraJoRedux said:
    jh71283 said:
    *snip*
    or the dollar could be crap.
    Actually a weak dollar would make US goods less expensive for other countries to buy, while foreign goods would become more expensive to us in the US.  So going off that, it should be cheaper to buy it in the UK.

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

jh71283 said:
    Maddus Mattus said:
    *snip*
    It's more like 40% last time I checked.

We fine Microsoft for providing Mediaplayer with Windows, but we have no problem putting tax on everything that comes from outside the EU,...

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Rd_Falcon said:
    SaraJoRedux said:
    *snip*
    Actually a weak dollar would make US goods less expensive for other countries to buy, while foreign goods would become more expensive to us in the US.  So going off that, it should be cheaper to buy it in the UK.
    Last I checked, the pound was 0.50 for $1 in terms of exchange rate, but prices as a rule are closer to 1:1 or 0.75:1 across the board, especially in software and consumer electronics.  It's not just Microsoft that's ripping off Britain, it's pretty much everyone that's ripping off Britain.

• User profile image
    Rd_Falcon

CannotResolveSymbol said:
    Rd_Falcon said:
    *snip*
    Last I checked, the pound was 0.50 for $1 in terms of exchange rate, but prices as a rule are closer to 1:1 or 0.75:1 across the board, especially in software and consumer electronics.  It's not just Microsoft that's ripping off Britain, it's pretty much everyone that's ripping off Britain.
    Well in that case the only explination that I can come up with is that the companies realized people will pay those absurdly high prices for the items.  May complain about the prices, but they will still buy them regardless.

• User profile image
    Ray7

Rd_Falcon said:
    *snip*
    Well in that case the only explination that I can come up with is that the companies realized people will pay those absurdly high prices for the items.  May complain about the prices, but they will still buy them regardless.
    That seems to be about the size of it, according to Adobe.

They set their prices based on customer research carried out in the region. If they believe that the customers in the UK will pay the higher price, then that's what they charge.

• User profile image
    spivonious

Rd_Falcon said:
    *snip*
    Last time I was in London, CDs cost £15, value meals at McDonalds cost £4, and the minimum wage was £7/hr.

You can't compare prices with exchange rates; it's all relative.  See Big Mac Index.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

spivonious said:
    *snip*
    Last time I was in London, CDs cost £15, value meals at McDonalds cost £4, and the minimum wage was £7/hr.

You can't compare prices with exchange rates; it's all relative.  See Big Mac Index.
    A big mac is a luxury item, a bread and butter index would be more reliable.

(but not infallible as it would fail to take account of other necessities such as the price of shelter)

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.