Coffeehouse Thread

29 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Google's virtual world

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Bass

Of course if you only hang out on Channel9 you wouldn't see that Google has been all over the place this year it's confusing people about what exactly Google is. So whats new? Shortly after Google annonced their plans to build a space elevator (no joke!), they annonced this:

http://www.webware.com/8301-1_109-9984909-2.html

It's some kind of virtual world idea.

• User profile image
    Minh

Google Second Life. I wonder if you can build stuff. If doable, I'll start an actual coffeehouse there. Where niners can come straight in, without the long wait. I'll code up a dancing blowdart at the entrance greeting visitors as they come in.

Haha!

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

Minh said:
    Google Second Life. I wonder if you can build stuff. If doable, I'll start an actual coffeehouse there. Where niners can come straight in, without the long wait. I'll code up a dancing blowdart at the entrance greeting visitors as they come in.

Haha!
    Will there be a spam button?

*runs*

• User profile image
    Rd_Falcon

Maddus Mattus said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*

*runs*

How about selling spam sandwiches to go with the coffee?  Well I guess it wouldn't really be selling since the article says that there isn't any money in the virtual world.

Lively is an interesting name choice for the program though. 

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Rd_Falcon said:
    Maddus Mattus said:
    *snip*

How about selling spam sandwiches to go with the coffee?  Well I guess it wouldn't really be selling since the article says that there isn't any money in the virtual world.

Lively is an interesting name choice for the program though. 

I'd try it out and make a C9 Coffeehouse, but apparently Windows has decided it's a good time to install updates (5:45 in the afternoon?  WTF?) and my computer's almost unusable for now....

• User profile image
    jason818_25​3.33

Who didnt see this coming?

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

jason818_253.33 said:
    Who didnt see this coming?
    Here you go:  http://www.lively.com/dr?rid=8883077785163166461

Work in progress, at least until I get bored.

• User profile image
    wisemx

CannotResolveSymbol said:
    jason818_253.33 said:
    *snip*
    Here you go:  http://www.lively.com/dr?rid=8883077785163166461

Work in progress, at least until I get bored.
    I just dropped in.
    btw, my room ID is 8401968594296812204
    (Testing it for the Illuminati.)

• User profile image
    jamie

how long has second life been around... years or more...

and google still beats ms to a dritributed avatar 3d product...

..even when they had comic chat - and killed it.

you gotta wonder sometimes...

*all of the above most likely suck - but whos going to argue that one day - these stupid things will be how we all interact...

so where's ms's version?

bam...bam...bam....

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

jamie said:

*all of the above most likely suck - but whos going to argue that one day - these stupid things will be how we all interact...

so where's ms's version?

bam...bam...bam....
    I do wonder... I wonder why the hell Google even wants to do this. If Microsoft would do it I would wonder even more (for Google it can sort of be explained because advertising is there core business, but it's still weird).

If MS now comes out with something like this, the only explanation I can see for it would be "because Google did it", not because it makes sense to do it.

• User profile image
    Bass

Sven Groot said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*
    I do wonder... I wonder why the hell Google even wants to do this. If Microsoft would do it I would wonder even more (for Google it can sort of be explained because advertising is there core business, but it's still weird).

If MS now comes out with something like this, the only explanation I can see for it would be "because Google did it", not because it makes sense to do it.
    The whole "Live" is "because Google did it" (actually it's more of a "f**king kill Google" brand). I will bet you $5 that Microsoft announces (not necessarily delivers) some kind of virtual world software within 2 years. I will bet you another $5 that it will have the word "Live", or "Zune" in it, eg. "Zune World Live!".

• User profile image
    jamie

Bass said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*
    The whole "Live" is "because Google did it" (actually it's more of a "f**king kill Google" brand). I will bet you $5 that Microsoft announces (not necessarily delivers) some kind of virtual world software within 2 years. I will bet you another $5 that it will have the word "Live", or "Zune" in it, eg. "Zune World Live!".
    i agree... "Lively" is a shot across the Live bow for sure.

• User profile image
    jason818_25​3.33

Sven Groot said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*

"I do wonder... I wonder why the hell Google even wants to do this"

apparently they are out of ideas.

• User profile image
    jamie

jason818_253.33 said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*
    "I do wonder... I wonder why the hell Google even wants to do this"

apparently they are out of ideas.
    kids will use it and one of the "3d avatar realms" platforms will win.

Shouldnt it be windows?

Buy facebook and second life... make second life good.

Tongue Out

edit: ..then hook them both up to Xbox live... (i dont have an xbox... maybe that could be the platform... dont know)

• User profile image
    Bas

jamie said:

so where's ms's version?

bam...bam...bam....

Part of me hopes that this is because Microsoft, unlike Google, realises what an incredibly stupid idea this is.

I mean, I've seen all sorts of media hype Second Life as The Most Important Thing Since The Internet. Businesses would leap onto it and it'd be one of the primary ways we'd shop and communicate in the future. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather just type the name of a book and click "Order now" than steer my crappy 3D avatar into a crappy 3D store, figure out where the books are, steer it to the books section.. etcetera.

Anyway, like you said, it's been around for years. So where's the big revolution the media announced? Any time now?

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

Bas said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*

Part of me hopes that this is because Microsoft, unlike Google, realises what an incredibly stupid idea this is.

I mean, I've seen all sorts of media hype Second Life as The Most Important Thing Since The Internet. Businesses would leap onto it and it'd be one of the primary ways we'd shop and communicate in the future. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather just type the name of a book and click "Order now" than steer my crappy 3D avatar into a crappy 3D store, figure out where the books are, steer it to the books section.. etcetera.

Anyway, like you said, it's been around for years. So where's the big revolution the media announced? Any time now?
    G just needs to spend "easy ad-money" as quick as possible. Before somebody will claim them back. Big Smile

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Wil

Maybe the long-term goal is to build a Virtual Cineplex consisting of dozens of Youtube theaters, where your avatar has to sit through a bunch of ads to get to the videos (while chatting with your fellow audience members, of course)?  It's hard to see how they will make money from this "product" otherwise.

• User profile image
    Minh

Maddus Mattus said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*

*runs*
    Maddus Mattus said:

*runs*

Oh, you better run...

But seriously, there will be a "spam" button. But, I'd be responsible and only allow myself to use it!

And no joke, as I was messing w/ my "Fantasy Island" yesterday, a female avatar named Olga from Moskow dropped by. We chatted, I gave her my credit card information... OK, the credit card was a joke.

But, that's a potentially new form of spam. Hot sexy looking avatars.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.