Coffeehouse Thread

20 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Do you learn from reality TV?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

Without getting into a "is tv bad or good" arguement...

would you say that you learn much more now - from watching tv + reality shows - than in the past?  (pre-reality tv)
    Should you ever find your self in the berring straight on a crab boat - would you know how to set the bait? or pull in the pots?
    Do you learn - without... learning?
    As maddenning as the one format fits all agenda is - are you better off due to reality tv?  (not trump/A-idol...etc - real reality shows)

my answer would be yes.  from tips on homes to food to gadgets to anything...  I think reality tv - shows what people actually DO.
    This is alot different than regular tv - 5 years ago and back - where tv really did "rot your brain!"   (not)

so...  reality TV.   yay or nay?   Learned stuff?  learned nothing.  Boring.  Interesting....  etc

?

• User profile image
    wisemx

Are you serious?
    Would anyone here admit to watching reality TV?

• User profile image
    jamie

wisemx said:
    Are you serious?
    Would anyone here admit to watching reality TV?
    lol... 

Next week in the coffeehouse: ... does minh go..INSANE?  does jamie freak OUT?  

probably.

Wink

* i meant - this stuff never existed when I grew up.... if it had i think id be 20 times smarter..  (never did good with lessons and reports...)

* que the 20 times smarter replies 

• User profile image
    wisemx

jamie said:
    wisemx said:
    *snip*
    lol... 

Next week in the coffeehouse: ... does minh go..INSANE?  does jamie freak OUT?  

probably.

Wink

* i meant - this stuff never existed when I grew up.... if it had i think id be 20 times smarter..  (never did good with lessons and reports...)

* que the 20 times smarter replies 
    You grew up? Dang.
    I was born Nov 1961 and am still resisting.

• User profile image
    dentaku

Some people lump all kinds of things into "reality TV" but if there's a competition involved then it's not reality obviously. It's more of a game show at that point and anything that involves celebrities is obviously just for the entertainment value and I don't bother watching that.
    It's fun to see how other people live.
    I like watching Deadliest Catch but since almost everyone around here depends on fishing (including my job) it's quite interesting to see how people do it in the Pacific. Crab fishing is like lobster fishing on a gigantic scale.

• User profile image
    harumscarum

I have no shame to admit I watch it so yay. However I don't watch tv to learn I watch to be entertained.

• User profile image
    jamie

dentaku said:

Some people lump all kinds of things into "reality TV" but if there's a competition involved then it's not reality obviously. It's more of a game show at that point and anything that involves celebrities is obviously just for the entertainment value and I don't bother watching that.
    It's fun to see how other people live.
    I like watching Deadliest Catch but since almost everyone around here depends on fishing (including my job) it's quite interesting to see how people do it in the Pacific. Crab fishing is like lobster fishing on a gigantic scale.

true - but there are so many options now..

..big city broker = real estate, 20 shows on homes, home care, street value, renovation, building...
    switch to cooking... bla bla bla to infinity... switch to design or fashion or motor cycles... or cars... or cycling... or...or...

just pointing out it never existed growing up...

i think i would have learned more - quicker

(*that could be good or bad...)

ps - even seeing alton brown on foodtv - going to old roadhouses and diners - and co-ercing the cooks into revealing how they make things...  or how things are made... or mega machines...   

so i guess the real question is:   will the tv and reality shows make people smarter

?

edit:  * or ... all the same?

• User profile image
    harumscarum

jamie said:
    dentaku said:
    *snip*
    true - but there are so many options now..

..big city broker = real estate, 20 shows on homes, home care, street value, renovation, building...
    switch to cooking... bla bla bla to infinity... switch to design or fashion or motor cycles... or cars... or cycling... or...or...

just pointing out it never existed growing up...

i think i would have learned more - quicker

(*that could be good or bad...)

ps - even seeing alton brown on foodtv - going to old roadhouses and diners - and co-ercing the cooks into revealing how they make things...  or how things are made... or mega machines...   

so i guess the real question is:   will the tv and reality shows make people smarter

?

edit:  * or ... all the same?

I wonder where the time gained from having so much information around us goes. For instance at NASA everything can be calculated by computers instead of sliderules. So now with all the time saved from computers where does that extra effort/time go?

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

Well,.. as a child I did learn english from watching cartoons.

But what do I learn from current tv?

Not much,.. Certainly not from reality tv.

• User profile image
    Bas

harumscarum said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*

I wonder where the time gained from having so much information around us goes. For instance at NASA everything can be calculated by computers instead of sliderules. So now with all the time saved from computers where does that extra effort/time go?

I've been wondering the exact same thing. We made it to the moon in the freaking sixties, using calculations chiseled into a block of ice with a walrus tooth. Now we have the most insane computers: how come we're not colonizing Mars yet? We haven't even set foot on the damned thing.

Well,.. as a child I did learn english from watching cartoons.

Cartoons with subtitles. Best way to learn English by a long shot. I can't imagine any of the English classes in school having had nearly the same effect.

As for the reality TV thing.. I suppose it depends on how you define "reality tv". Stuff like Deadliest Catch may not provide everyone with usable skills, but.. I don't know, I always hope that a "Huh, I never knew people did stuff like that" moment opens up some new and undiscovered neural pathway in my brain, eventually leading me to come up with something that I wouldn't have thought of otherwise. That is, if your brain even works that way.

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

Bas said:
    harumscarum said:
    *snip*

Cartoons with subtitles. Best way to learn English by a long shot. I can't imagine any of the English classes in school having had nearly the same effect.

As for the reality TV thing.. I suppose it depends on how you define "reality tv". Stuff like Deadliest Catch may not provide everyone with usable skills, but.. I don't know, I always hope that a "Huh, I never knew people did stuff like that" moment opens up some new and undiscovered neural pathway in my brain, eventually leading me to come up with something that I wouldn't have thought of otherwise. That is, if your brain even works that way.
    Without subtitles Wink You don't learn you native language with subtitles, you learn it by observing someones actions. As a child you have an open mind and you are far more capable of learning stuff. As an adult you weigh everything according to your own experiences and are therefore limited in absorbing new information.

Oh, and I did think of one thing that I learned from reality tv;

There are a bunch of idiots on this planet Wink

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Bas said:
    harumscarum said:
    *snip*

Now we have the most insane computers: how come we're not colonizing Mars yet? We haven't even set foot on the damned thing.

Because having insane computers doesn't make rockets go faster? It also doesn't make it easier to provide food, water, and protection on a four month journey through space.

It certainly doesn't magically provide NASA with the funding to actually go do these things, even though I'm sure they could if they wanted.

• User profile image
    Ray7

I saw five minutes of Big Brother the other night, and learned the benefits of finishing primary education.

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

Sven Groot said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

Because having insane computers doesn't make rockets go faster? It also doesn't make it easier to provide food, water, and protection on a four month journey through space.

It certainly doesn't magically provide NASA with the funding to actually go do these things, even though I'm sure they could if they wanted.

Why would we go to mars? There's nothing there but rock. We have everything we need right here!

I am a big Star Trek fan, and I cant wait for all these technological gimmicks to come into my life. But then I think of the stuff we have today and can't imagine a more exiting age to live in.

• User profile image
    Bas

Sven Groot said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

So all in all, you're saying that we're still stuck with the same abilities we had in the sixties despite all the technological advancements since then? I wonder why we keep bothering, then.

Why would we go to mars? There's nothing there but rock. We have everything we need right here!

Yeah, that whole going to the moon thing was a waste of time, too. I can't believe we even bothered.

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

Bas said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

Yeah, that whole going to the moon thing was a waste of time, too. I can't believe we even bothered.

The whole moon thing was a race to show wich countries president had the biggest fallus.

There hasnt been anyone up there in decades, because there is nothing there.

Edit: substituted * for fallus,.. damn bad word filter.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Bas said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

Of course things have advanced a lot since then. Compare the space shuttle and the ISS to what they had in the 60s. But the basic problem, which is getting people there and keeping them alive for that long, are still very difficult, and above all very expensive. Without the Soviets breathing down their neck, the US just isn't giving NASA the funding that these projects would require.

Nevertheless, NASA is going back to the moon. In 2010 the space shuttle will be retired, to be replaced by the Aries rockets and Orion space capsule. The Orion is similar in design to the Apollo command module; it sits on top of a rocket and lands in the ocean, thus eliminating a lot of the problematic parts of the shuttle. It is much more advanced of course. It will launch with solid rocket booster technology from the space shuttle, and the glass cockpit and avionics will be based on those in the Boeing 787. It will also be reusable up to 10 times (unlike the Apollo modules which could be used only once). The Orion will be capable of taking four astronauts on missions to the International Space Station, and the moon.

NASA aims to return to the moon no later than 2020. The goal is to have much more and more frequent missions to the moon than in the 60s and 70s, and to establish a permanent manned outpost on the moon for long-duration stays (up to 6 months, the same duration as crews of the ISS). This will serve primarily to build experience for a manned mission to Mars in the first half of the 21st century, according to NASA's timeline.

See here for more details: http://www.nasa.gov/topics/moonmars/index.html

Also, if you want to see how much has changed, compare this picture (NASA mission control during the Gemini program, which preceded Apollo) to this one (present day mission control for the space shuttle). The difference is rather extreme. Smiley

• User profile image
    vesuvius

I watch as little as possible because a lot of it is like bubblegum. Sweet for two minutes then eternally insipid.

My biggest gripe is the huge diminishment of quality drama and comedy. Look at Cable/Sky and it's mostly re-runs of programs from the 60's, 70's and 80's. Even in the 90's there are stand out comedies like The Fast Show. Even the cartoons were great back them. I guess I'm beginning to carry on like someone who is middle aged, but the quality of television nowadays is watered down with the America's Got Talent, Gladiators, Pop Idol etc. If you really want to learn English watch something like Up Pompeii. Obviously I missed this as a kid but the dialogue in it is unsurpassable. I fear that a modern TV/Drama writer must pander to the phone-in type format
    What a deplorable regression. Bill Hicks saw this all coming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNOPu_wU6hs

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.