Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

mac friends... email fonts

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

More and more work friends are getting macs...  and their emails come as text only - non html/rtf with times new roman

is this a legacy - from the cold war between mac and pc - or is it just to "add value" to windows office users?

is there a setting in outlook that i can say - this is a mac user - use normal fonts and treat as html/rtf?

• User profile image
    PaoloM

If you mean that they can't read html mail, I am not sure you can do anything from your PC/Outlook side...

• User profile image
    jamie

PaoloM said:
    If you mean that they can't read html mail, I am not sure you can do anything from your PC/Outlook side...
    no - what they send me..

* and then it turns the whole email I sent them - into times new roman... ugly..uselss... like ... the c9 editor Tongue Out
    (cant change colour, sizing, tables, photos... removed.)

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

It's less a cold war between Mac and PC and more a cold war between HTML mail and plain text mail.  Some PC mail clients prefer plain text mail too (of note, Outlook Web Access basic version converts everything sent to plain text).

• User profile image
    jamie

CannotResolveSymbol said:
    It's less a cold war between Mac and PC and more a cold war between HTML mail and plain text mail.  Some PC mail clients prefer plain text mail too (of note, Outlook Web Access basic version converts everything sent to plain text).
    cant windows - knowing i have office ... adjust that for me?

Hello .. Office.   Please make mac idiots emails not wreck my formatting.  thanks.

Smiley

..but im still not convinced its not an internal plot!

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

jamie said:
    *snip*
    cant windows - knowing i have office ... adjust that for me?

Hello .. Office.   Please make mac idiots emails not wreck my formatting.  thanks.

Smiley

..but im still not convinced its not an internal plot!
    Email clients do not and should not allow the sender to specify whether or not they will display HTML emails--  it's left up to the user as a preference.  If you really want your mac friends to see your HTML emails, get them to turn it on--  but good luck with that, as they've probably explicitly turned it off.  I'm not aware of any email clients that disable HTML mail viewing by default (sending is another matter).

If you don't want to see Times New Roman in emails they send, change your default font in Outlook preferences.  Most normal people don't spend hours adding tables to their emails for no good reason--  if they want to send an HTML email, they'll send one; otherwise, they'll use a plain text email if it's the email client's default.  This case (HTML viewing on, HTML sending off) will mutilate your HTML email when they reply, but they did see your content as you sent it.

(and if they really aren't seeing your formatting at all, you're probably sending as Outlook Rich Text Format, in which case you're the idiot sending garbage...  set Outlook to send HTML and all will be dandy).

• User profile image
    La Bomba

jamie said:
    *snip*
    Email clients do not and should not allow the sender to specify whether or not they will display HTML emails--  it's left up to the user as a preference.  If you really want your mac friends to see your HTML emails, get them to turn it on--  but good luck with that, as they've probably explicitly turned it off.  I'm not aware of any email clients that disable HTML mail viewing by default (sending is another matter).

If you don't want to see Times New Roman in emails they send, change your default font in Outlook preferences.  Most normal people don't spend hours adding tables to their emails for no good reason--  if they want to send an HTML email, they'll send one; otherwise, they'll use a plain text email if it's the email client's default.  This case (HTML viewing on, HTML sending off) will mutilate your HTML email when they reply, but they did see your content as you sent it.

(and if they really aren't seeing your formatting at all, you're probably sending as Outlook Rich Text Format, in which case you're the idiot sending garbage...  set Outlook to send HTML and all will be dandy).
    Switch to a Mac.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

La Bomba said:
    *snip*
    Switch to a Mac.
    Everybody seems to be switching to Mac. It's like Invasion of the Body Snatchers. JOIN US. IT WON'T HURT.

• User profile image
    Kolin1

I really don't know where you are coming from here.
    I use a mac at home and use the default mail client (Mail.app)
    I can receive HTML/Rich text messages fine and any formatting in emails i send comes out fine at the other end aswell.

Have i missed something?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.