Coffeehouse Thread

20 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Vista multi-million pound ad campaign is ready to roll

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ray7

But Pocket-lint asks, is it too little too late?

Again, they make the mistake of assuming that a survey carried out on a website, has anything to do with reality.

66% of people saying that MS should give up on Vista just means that they have successfully attracted a wodge of ABMers to sign up and leave a comment. Good for their hit rate, but not really a meaningful analysis.

Still, the comments from MS were interesting; it appears that the 'Get a Mac' ads have done some damage.

• User profile image
    elmer

MS Marketing... I can see it now...

"Vista: It's probably not as bad as you think"

• User profile image
    Bas

elmer said:

MS Marketing... I can see it now...

"Vista: It's probably not as bad as you think"

As much as I'd like this to work, we'll probably just end up with "Windows: The productive starts NOW!" or something awkward and meaningless like that.

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

Bas said:
    elmer said:
    *snip*
    As much as I'd like this to work, we'll probably just end up with "Windows: The productive starts NOW!" or something awkward and meaningless like that.

At least they respect their competitors. Got to give them some credit for that.

• User profile image
    Ray7

Bas said:
    elmer said:
    *snip*
    I think it'll be a lot of people (blonde, perfect teeth) running around in fields. Nice post-sixties hippy music (Zero 7 probably) playing in the back ground.

And at the end the Vista logo with the words 'This is our Multi-million pound ad campaign' superimposed over the top.

• User profile image
    Bas

Ray7 said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*
    I think it'll be a lot of people (blonde, perfect teeth) running around in fields. Nice post-sixties hippy music (Zero 7 probably) playing in the back ground.

And at the end the Vista logo with the words 'This is our Multi-million pound ad campaign' superimposed over the top.

Interesting, but too risqué, probably. Also, if they're all blondes, you don't get the black guy and the Asian woman for that multiethnic stock photography look. I'm sticking with this:

There, MS Marketing. Your new ad campaign. I can has $500 million?

• User profile image
    Dovella

PLS C9 Post a video PLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wont spam every world wide web !!!

the my first target

APple forum!! Wink

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

Bas said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*
    Interesting, but too risqué, probably. Also, if they're all blondes, you don't get the black guy and the Asian woman for that multiethnic stock photography look. I'm sticking with this:

There, MS Marketing. Your new ad campaign. I can has $500 million?
    the productive starts now?

For 500 million, is that the best you can come up with?

back to the drawing board!

• User profile image
    Bas

Maddus Mattus said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

For 500 million, is that the best you can come up with?

back to the drawing board!
    Hey, they're happy with "Welcome to the social" and "The wow starts now". If they're ready to pay for that, why try harder?

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Bas said:
    Maddus Mattus said:
    *snip*
    Hey, they're happy with "Welcome to the social" and "The wow starts now". If they're ready to pay for that, why try harder?

$500 million, OKTHXBYE!

Herbie

• User profile image
    vesuvius

What I find profoundly annoying is that PaoloM will argue that wasting 3 million on re-writing Messenger or Windows Media Player is unjustifiable. Presently, a significant number of niners have defected, I know of a few people that have purchased a Mac (I am now considering getting one again - had a G4 way back when)

Most people are defecting because of the finish of the operating system, Apples adverts have resonance because the beauty is immediate and the grapevine laudable. Vista on the other hand, though not bad, has very poor finishing and Microsoft Adverts are like selling snow to Eskimos. People live in a world of state of the art Zones, iPods, Mobile phones, HDTV, blu-ray and all manner of visual interfaces. Look at the BBC news and you have carousel views for the imaging and so forth.

For all my adoration for Windows, Microsoft is playing catch-up as far as OS's are presented. A second Vista Service pack completely addressing Long's UI taskforce, allowing skinning of the desktop like Live mail (surely that's not hard), a WPF media player and messenger client could all be achieved with 10% of the cash they are going to waste advertising.

People are not stupid, so your OS finish must improve. I hear very little negative stuff about Macs compared with Vista. It is the grapevine Microsoft need to placate, because adverts are great, but as I’ve mentioned already, people make far more informed decisions nowadays, and need visually compelling features, rather than a list as long as you arm on security features.

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

vesuvius said:

What I find profoundly annoying is that PaoloM will argue that wasting 3 million on re-writing Messenger or Windows Media Player is unjustifiable. Presently, a significant number of niners have defected, I know of a few people that have purchased a Mac (I am now considering getting one again - had a G4 way back when)

Most people are defecting because of the finish of the operating system, Apples adverts have resonance because the beauty is immediate and the grapevine laudable. Vista on the other hand, though not bad, has very poor finishing and Microsoft Adverts are like selling snow to Eskimos. People live in a world of state of the art Zones, iPods, Mobile phones, HDTV, blu-ray and all manner of visual interfaces. Look at the BBC news and you have carousel views for the imaging and so forth.

For all my adoration for Windows, Microsoft is playing catch-up as far as OS's are presented. A second Vista Service pack completely addressing Long's UI taskforce, allowing skinning of the desktop like Live mail (surely that's not hard), a WPF media player and messenger client could all be achieved with 10% of the cash they are going to waste advertising.

People are not stupid, so your OS finish must improve. I hear very little negative stuff about Macs compared with Vista. It is the grapevine Microsoft need to placate, because adverts are great, but as I’ve mentioned already, people make far more informed decisions nowadays, and need visually compelling features, rather than a list as long as you arm on security features.

I agree, 500 million on marketing is not going to make Vista any better as an OS. You reap what you sow. Marketing department has sown expectations so high, that Vista could never own up to. Now they are reaping the dissapointment.

I see past the marketing. Even the marketing department of my current employer sows promises I know we cant keep. It's always sugar coated. The problem is people these days are calling their bluff.

• User profile image
    Dovella

vesuvius said:

Stop blogosphere antivista PLS.
    Now Stop

Vista is Nice S.O.

@ Maddus

Microsoft not finidh money for 500 milion .  not worry

• User profile image
    Ray7

Dovella said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*
    Now Stop

Vista is Nice S.O.

@ Maddus

Well, I can see their  point to be honest.

The question isn't the money; it's how they spend it.

The Apple app store has just gone live and so has the MobileMe and folk are talking abour redesigned laptops from Apple in the next few months.

With a fraction of the budget, I pretty much expect Apple to completely drown out anything MS does with $500million ... but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

• User profile image
    stevo_

Ray7 said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*
    Well, I can see their  point to be honest.

The question isn't the money; it's how they spend it.

The Apple app store has just gone live and so has the MobileMe and folk are talking abour redesigned laptops from Apple in the next few months.

With a fraction of the budget, I pretty much expect Apple to completely drown out anything MS does with $500million ... but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Personally I disagree with some reasons here, but I do share the same concern that this won't be the 'oh snap' come back to the apple ads..

But the points, I don't think vista was a disappointment or looks any less polished than os x.. someone posted a blog the other day saying that microsoft, and specifically more - windows.. will always be a mundane giant.. it probably won't ever get massively dislodged but it probably won't ever impress the masses.. no matter how good the OS is..

I think if you are working on the Windows teams, you should be empowered and happy with what you know is done, because you'll probably never praise from the 'consumer voice'..

Just like ANY news, the best way to get an audience.. it to talk about something that as many of your audience possible knows about..

Microsoft [yep]

And bad news always gets the bigger audience (says a lot for us as a race really)..

So calling microsoft sh-- is the best way to get news.. although at some point, a target gets 'meh'.. sometime in the future, the tides will turn on someone else.. apple will undoubtedly yet it, and it'll get it in the form of "apple just aren't what they were".. apple will have essentially out inovated theirself design wise as far as the consumers see.

• User profile image
    vesuvius

Dovella said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*
    Now Stop

Vista is Nice S.O.

@ Maddus

I am not anti-Microsoft at all in the blogosphere. All my other posts promote Microsoft technologies. I do think the mentality needs to change a bit @ Microsoft.

What I am 'anti' is the waste of money on marketing. If they gave the Windows team $50 million (just 10% of marketing), we would have a more polished OS. If they gave the dev team $50 million for Vista service pack 2, and concentrated solely on the UI, people’s perceptions would change. Microsoft can no longer just be a server and operating system company. They must exceed in the UI field as well. You can see the difference immediately between Apple and Windows UI camps. I will bet you any amount of money if you went through OS X you'd find far fewer UI inconsistencies than Windows. Why do you have a flat screen instead of a CRT screen? It looks better, that’s why.

A lot of Vista has a hand-me-down feel to it. Seen it all before. You know there were times a family grew up and a younger brother wore all his older brothers’ clothes. It was great because it saved money, but people dislike living like that nowadays. I complain because I care. Sometimes a parent will scold their child, not because they are cruel, but because they want their child to improve.

It's very much about looks these days (shallow I know), and if you remain unstylish then people will leave Windows in their droves.

• User profile image
    Dovella

vesuvius said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*

I am not anti-Microsoft at all in the blogosphere. All my other posts promote Microsoft technologies. I do think the mentality needs to change a bit @ Microsoft.

What I am 'anti' is the waste of money on marketing. If they gave the Windows team $50 million (just 10% of marketing), we would have a more polished OS. If they gave the dev team $50 million for Vista service pack 2, and concentrated solely on the UI, people’s perceptions would change. Microsoft can no longer just be a server and operating system company. They must exceed in the UI field as well. You can see the difference immediately between Apple and Windows UI camps. I will bet you any amount of money if you went through OS X you'd find far fewer UI inconsistencies than Windows. Why do you have a flat screen instead of a CRT screen? It looks better, that’s why.

A lot of Vista has a hand-me-down feel to it. Seen it all before. You know there were times a family grew up and a younger brother wore all his older brothers’ clothes. It was great because it saved money, but people dislike living like that nowadays. I complain because I care. Sometimes a parent will scold their child, not because they are cruel, but because they want their child to improve.

It's very much about looks these days (shallow I know), and if you remain unstylish then people will leave Windows in their droves.

You can always do better
    Vista can do more, but is not a problem for microsoft invest in it.
    improve the arriving day by day .
    I had been with Microsoft would have spent even more
    Leopard without all ADV would not have sold 10 PC (mac)
    then each person has their own opinion

• User profile image
    elmer

I'd go with the time honoured...

"Never mind the quality, Feel the width !!"

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.