Coffeehouse Thread

24 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Long's blog is down

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    sushovande

Well, he did say he likes to edit a code on a live server - anyways, the main page is HTTP 500-ing, and the taskforce is 

Could not connect: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
    -ing

Can someone (1) repro this (2) nudge him?

• User profile image
    La Bomba

Wake me when he's posted something worth reading.

• User profile image
    wisemx

MySQL?!!

• User profile image
    dentaku

Yup, hasn't worked since this morning.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Noticed this last night, about 14 hours ago.  The taskforce too.

• User profile image
    Bass

Haha! Long's blog is using Linux! Although that doesn't improve uptime - clearly if he was using Windows he'd be too busy getting some from the ladies to fix his blog.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Seems like he is aware of the problem but kind of not in Australia ... might take a few days until fixed.

• User profile image
    sushovande

littleguru said:

Seems like he is aware of the problem but kind of not in Australia ... might take a few days until fixed.

Thanks for the update, lil'guru!

• User profile image
    Itslloydhere

littleguru said:

Haha "kindof not in Australia"

you make me laugh Tongue Out

• User profile image
    littleguru

Itslloydhere said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*
    Haha "kindof not in Australia"

you make me laugh Tongue Out

Hehe Wink

• User profile image
    jamie

• User profile image
    littleguru

Long told me that his blog is "on vacation" Wink I'm sure it will be back as soon as he's back in Australia.

• User profile image
    longzheng

littleguru said:
    Long told me that his blog is "on vacation" Wink I'm sure it will be back as soon as he's back in Australia.
    Oh wow, this is something.

First off, I wub MySQL and Linux web servers. You can't beat free.
    Secondly, the server admin was suppose to upgrade an extremely outdated MySQL install which failed first, as noted in the first post.
    Shortly after the whole server failed and never rebooted properly, the kernel was corrupt somehow.

Currently everything's being backup up and ready to be wiped fresh.

After the Imagine Cup win (w00t), I've been on holiday in Denmark anyway so didn't have much time/effort to write blog posts so I'm kind of glad to take a break from it. Now I'm back in Australia so I'll see to get it back and running soon.

Thanks everyone Smiley

• User profile image
    longzheng

longzheng said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*

Secondly, the server admin was suppose to upgrade an extremely outdated MySQL install which failed first, as noted in the first post.
    Shortly after the whole server failed and never rebooted properly, the kernel was corrupt somehow.

After the Imagine Cup win (w00t), I've been on holiday in Denmark anyway so didn't have much time/effort to write blog posts so I'm kind of glad to take a break from it. Now I'm back in Australia so I'll see to get it back and running soon.

Thanks everyone Smiley
    Oh and special thanks to Dan for his Imagine Cup blessings (http://channel9.msdn.com/shows/This+Week+On+Channel+9/This-Week-on-C9-Imagine-Cup-hosted-services-C-40-and-ASPNET-tips/)

• User profile image
    vesuvius

longzheng said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*

Thanks everyone Smiley

Long, you've got to make sure that this does not happen again. Your blog is referenced by a lot of sites, and basically you end up with a lot of broken links. It also looks very bad.

Everybody needs a break, so you need contingencies to ensure uptime is monitored, and any failures rectified at the soonest opportunity. If you take a look at the amount of traffic you generate, that is the amount multiplied by 1 or 2 weeks of disappointment and unprofessionalism. Not very good now is it.

Congrats, for the imagine cup by the way.

• User profile image
    longzheng

vesuvius said:
    longzheng said:
    *snip*

Long, you've got to make sure that this does not happen again. Your blog is referenced by a lot of sites, and basically you end up with a lot of broken links. It also looks very bad.

Everybody needs a break, so you need contingencies to ensure uptime is monitored, and any failures rectified at the soonest opportunity. If you take a look at the amount of traffic you generate, that is the amount multiplied by 1 or 2 weeks of disappointment and unprofessionalism. Not very good now is it.

You're absolutely right vesuvius about downtime reflecting badly on a site. Not to mention the millions of lost AdSense revenue. Nah, I kid. Couple of dollars.

Unfortunately I don't administer the server (I'm a Linux noob) so I don't actually have any control over how soon it can be recovered. In addition, the holiday made it impossible for me to take time out and pressure the server admin (a friend of mine) to get it done quicker, but he was busy anyway. Now that I'm back I'll make sure it gets done quicker.

• User profile image
    jh71283

vesuvius said:
    longzheng said:
    *snip*

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

So does this mean my Vista bugs are lost? Sad

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.