Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Problem with WMP 11 in Vista

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    XaeroVincent

I'll just cut to the point and say Windows Media Player 11 isn't working. I click to launch the program but nothing happens.

I found this in Event Viewer logs:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Event Viewer suggests that I reinstall WMP 11 to fix the service problem but I'm not sure how. Can I just download the WMP 11 setup again and it offer me a reinstall option--I don't see a way to uninstall? Or is the setup only for XP, since Vista already includes WMP 11?

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

What did you do? Tried restarting machine? Maybe System Restore will help (just open start menu, and type 'System Restore') and restore to some date before this bug showed up.

• User profile image
    XaeroVincent

RoyalSchrubber said:
    What did you do? Tried restarting machine? Maybe System Restore will help (just open start menu, and type 'System Restore') and restore to some date before this bug showed up.
    I'm not sure.

Restarting doesn't work. WMP 11 hasn't worked in months but I thought I'd take a look now since I have time.

My most recent restore point was long after it stopped working and I tend to delete all but the most recent restore point to keep things tidy.

But I'm gonna try reinstalling it (if thats possible).

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I'd try reregistering wmp.dll and wmpdxm.dll ("regsvr32 wmp.dll" and "regsvr32 wmpdxm.dll").

0x80040154 is REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG so it indicated the COM registration is missing or corrupted.

• User profile image
    XaeroVincent

Sven Groot said:
    I'd try reregistering wmp.dll and wmpdxm.dll ("regsvr32 wmp.dll" and "regsvr32 wmpdxm.dll").

0x80040154 is REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG so it indicated the COM registration is missing or corrupted.
    That was it.

Thank you. Smiley

I looked up the error code and found out that the DLLs  indeed needed to be registered. I'm still not sure why it stopped working before, however.

• User profile image
    harlock123

XaeroVincent said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*
    That was it.

Thank you. Smiley

I looked up the error code and found out that the DLLs  indeed needed to be registered. I'm still not sure why it stopped working before, however.
    Well registration being a Registry thing
    Registry corruption (in its broadest sense of anything happening that is not supposed to happen)
    is a likely cause.

I have seen situations where overly aggressive CCleaner sessions might hose something like this...

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.