Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

What is a good practice to archive media?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    intelman

How do you guys archive your media? Are things such as "gold DVD-r discs" just a gimmick, or do they really keep your data safer? I know gold really is resistant to almost everything....

Just curious.

http://www.amazon.com/MAM-Mitsui-Gold-Arch...R/dp/B000FAJQHS

• User profile image
    Itslloydhere

I had no idea you could even get Gold DVD-R's commercially. Cool.

Archive as in backup? If you burned them to DVD you could also keep them offsite... so if your house burns down, your backup/archive doesn't go with it!

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

My backup DVD-R's from five years ago still read just fine, they should do the trick.  Of course, if you have over 436GB of media I'd suggest you just get backup hard drives like I do.

• User profile image
    intelman

SlackmasterK said:

My backup DVD-R's from five years ago still read just fine, they should do the trick.  Of course, if you have over 436GB of media I'd suggest you just get backup hard drives like I do.

What about for a decade or so...

• User profile image
    zian

intelman said:
    SlackmasterK said:
    *snip*
    What about for a decade or so...
    1. Regularly verify old backups
    2. Regularly move those old backups to newer media as necessary

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

zian said:
    intelman said:
    *snip*
    1. Regularly verify old backups
    2. Regularly move those old backups to newer media as necessary

Also when archiving big files to DVD I tend to rar them into smaller chunks and create parity files with quickpar.  I also copy the software required to extract the files to the disc as well.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.