Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

1-800-GOOG-411

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Raghavendra_​Mudugal

Nice; (anybody tried it? by the video is cool)

• User profile image
    littleguru

The video is indeed cool Smiley I wonder how good this service works in reality. Somebody should really try it out.

• User profile image
    Bas

What is it?

• User profile image
    Chadk

That is pretty neat. But US-only I suppose Sad

• User profile image
    MasterPi

littleguru said:
    The video is indeed cool Smiley I wonder how good this service works in reality. Somebody should really try it out.

Weird. For the first two thirds of the video, I was thinking "Voice recognition, enter city, state, search by category....hey, this is exactly what my current 411 service does."

But then when he got to the map and text features (could have spent way more time showing off those), it got interesting. 

• User profile image
    jonathansam​pson

I've been using G411 for a long time now. I love it. Better than my local 411 that costs $1.50 per call.

Jonathan Sampson

• User profile image
    Mark Brown

jonathansampson said:
    I've been using G411 for a long time now. I love it. Better than my local 411 that costs $1.50 per call.

Jonathan Sampson
    hmm, Sounds like a Google love fest in here. Smiley

I should point out that we've had this ourselves for some time and I think ours is actually better. No seriously.
    http://www.livesearch411.com/ 1-800-CALL-411

Not only can you look up YP listings using VR but you can also get maps, driving directions, traffic, current and forecasted weather and also movie times. It can even check if there are tickets still available. Also you can forward a listing you look up to another person via SMS so if you're looking up a place you are both meeting you can send the info to your friend as well.

Check it out.

regards,
    mark

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Mark Brown said:
    jonathansampson said:
    *snip*

I should point out that we've had this ourselves for some time and I think ours is actually better. No seriously.

Not only can you look up YP listings using VR but you can also get maps, driving directions, traffic, current and forecasted weather and also movie times. It can even check if there are tickets still available. Also you can forward a listing you look up to another person via SMS so if you're looking up a place you are both meeting you can send the info to your friend as well.

Check it out.

regards,
    mark

There was a comparison between the two services somewhere, might have been on ArsTechnica. Basically, Live won out for the most part over Google, although the author of the article did have some problem with voice recognition with Live.

Mark, I do like the "Call for free" option in Live Maps though. Wink

EDIT: Just listened to the demos. Yeah, the Live 411 definitely sounds much better.

• User profile image
    harumscarum

Mark Brown said:
    jonathansampson said:
    *snip*

Check it out.

regards,
    mark

I'll try both next week when I am on the road and see which one is more awesome.

• User profile image
    intelman

Mark Brown said:
    jonathansampson said:
    *snip*

Check it out.

regards,
    mark

I've used Live 411 and Goog 411 for a while. I do prefer live just because I can save the settings. But one week, I called live 411 from my saved address book, and it was a phone sex line. It fixed itself in a few days, but I know the number was right. It was truly messed up....someone dropped the ball there.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.