Coffeehouse Thread

49 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows Media Player 12

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Harlequin

Any word on v12 of WMP? Features, what the team is up to, etc. Be a nice C9 video to chat with them.

• User profile image
    vesuvius

If it isn't done in WPF, I won't bother getting Windows 7. There really will be no compelling reason to upgrade. If ever there was an oportunity to improve the image of Vista/Windows 7, this would be it.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

vesuvius said:
    If it isn't done in WPF, I won't bother getting Windows 7. There really will be no compelling reason to upgrade. If ever there was an oportunity to improve the image of Vista/Windows 7, this would be it.
    By just converting it to WPF but not adding features?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

ZippyV said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*
    By just converting it to WPF but not adding features?
    If it meant the other features would be better executed, sure. But I doubt using WPF would lead to a reduction in memory or processor usage.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

W3bbo said:
    ZippyV said:
    *snip*
    If it meant the other features would be better executed, sure. But I doubt using WPF would lead to a reduction in memory or processor usage.
    Especially since Solitaire was in WPF and they didn't add that to Vista because it was too slow(thus the huge bitmap-driven Soitaire in there now). Imagine WMP11, redone in WPF Smiley

• User profile image
    DirkGently

Harlequin said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*
    Especially since Solitaire was in WPF and they didn't add that to Vista because it was too slow(thus the huge bitmap-driven Soitaire in there now). Imagine WMP11, redone in WPF Smiley

Which begs the question - if Microsoft is not going to develop major consumer (not developer) apps in WPF, what message are they sending? I would hope that WPF becomes mature and performant enough that it becomes the standard for Windows (and possibly other platforms) GUI development. That is not the case today and apparently MS themselves have little to no confidence in it. All the MSDN/C9 articles won't help unless we see major apps stat using it (I mean stuff like WMP, Office, Zume software, all the Windows Live tools) etc.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Harlequin said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*
    Solitaire on Windows Vista is an embarassment. The Solitaire on Windows from 3.x through to XP remains unchanged and an icon of simplicity and shows how easy it is to write a simple yer performant application with a very small footprint.

Yes, it looks nice, but they shouldn't mandate a Dx9 GPU just to run the thing. Try playing it on a "Vista Capable" laptop with an Intel Integrated GPU.

How many tens-of-megabytes big is Vista's Solitaire, again?

• User profile image
    vesuvius

Harlequin said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*
    Consequently ratifying the assertion that most users will make in Windows 7. My base applications i.e. Office, Web Browsers etc. are, and will remain native, due to performance issues or business sense.

Why bother upgrading your OS, if you're not offered anything new?

• User profile image
    turrican

vesuvius said:
    Yeah! I hope for a ton of WPF stuff! I really want to give WPF serious try but I dunno... I am kind'a doubtful right now. If Microsoft isn't doing it, why should I? Don't get me wrong, I like WPF a lot!

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Harlequin said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*
    Solitaire in Vista is just a DirectX application, nothing to do with WPF.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

ZippyV said:
    Harlequin said:
    *snip*
    I don't see how slow it can be. I have WPF application I build myself. It is pulling massive amount of images at same time without too much performance problem. it is at www.jmcphtogallery.net .

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Bass

vesuvius said:
    Why would WPF provide a "compelling reason to upgrade"? I think they should make it even simpler, what ever happened to the "Media Player" part of "Windows Media Player". I think it should focus on media playing and not fancy effects.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

ZippyV said:
    Harlequin said:
    *snip*
    No, but it WAS done in WPF in early betas. And the vectors and resizing was too much for Vista, thus it was done the plain-Jane way.

• User profile image
    Bass

Harlequin said:
    ZippyV said:
    *snip*
    No, but it WAS done in WPF in early betas. And the vectors and resizing was too much for Vista, thus it was done the plain-Jane way.
    Do you have evidence of this? Because that would be serious evidence that WPF sucks - A simple Solitaire game can't be written in it without serious performance concerns.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Harlequin said:
    ZippyV said:
    *snip*
    Are you sure? I recall seeing only two versions of Solitaire during the Vista beta: the original XP one, and the one that's in there now. If there was a WPF version, I don't think it ever made it into the public betas.

• User profile image
    BHpaddock

vesuvius said:
    So if it were all done in WPF but looked exactly like Vista, you would buy it?

But if it looks brilliant but is written in native code you won't?

• User profile image
    blowdart

BHpaddock said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*
    So if it were all done in WPF but looked exactly like Vista, you would buy it?

But if it looks brilliant but is written in native code you won't?
    What if it faked a bunch of DLL names and in memory bits so it *looked* like it was using WPF?

• User profile image
    Dexter

Sven Groot said:
    Harlequin said:
    *snip*
    Are you sure? I recall seeing only two versions of Solitaire during the Vista beta: the original XP one, and the one that's in there now. If there was a WPF version, I don't think it ever made it into the public betas.
    I think there was a WPF Solitaire written by someone in Microsoft but it was just that, a WPF version of Solitaire. It was never intended to be "Vista Solitaire". Not to mention that there are other "cards" game in Vista and all were developed by "Oberon Games" and Microsoft...

As for the whole WMP/WPF issue:

I couldn't care less if WMP is a native or managed/WPF application, I only care if it works and suits my needs. Thankfully every new version of WMP was better than the previous so I hope that stays true for v12.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.