Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Book Recommendations for LINQ?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

I'm not one for usually buying books on subjects, but I'm finding less time to play and experiment with the latest tech toys. So are there any recommendations on books that cover LINQ, especially LINQ-to-SQL (fka DLINQ) and LINQ-to-Entities (still in Beta, btw)?

• User profile image
    eddwo

I think "Linq in Action" is pretty good.  I've not read all of it yet but I've been through most of the basics on the query operators and XLinq and pretty much all of the DLinq chapters. It seems to cover pretty much all of the ground you would expect including the more advanced stuff like extending Linq by implementing your own IQueryables and manipulating expression trees that the more basic books don't get to.

It does briefly cover Linq to Entities, but the entity framework is such a large new area I'm expecting to have to find a separate book about it. I't will take a bit more time to explain all the stuff about the CSDLs SSDLs and MSLs, which I wouldn't expect to find in a book focused on Linq itself.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

eddwo said:
    I think "Linq in Action" is pretty good.  I've not read all of it yet but I've been through most of the basics on the query operators and XLinq and pretty much all of the DLinq chapters. It seems to cover pretty much all of the ground you would expect including the more advanced stuff like extending Linq by implementing your own IQueryables and manipulating expression trees that the more basic books don't get to.

It does briefly cover Linq to Entities, but the entity framework is such a large new area I'm expecting to have to find a separate book about it. I't will take a bit more time to explain all the stuff about the CSDLs SSDLs and MSLs, which I wouldn't expect to find in a book focused on Linq itself.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I just went out and bought it from Amazon (the other LINQ books didn't get such good reviews anyway).

And if anyone's interested in y'know... buying me stuff for free Smiley here's my wishlist.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

W3bbo said:
    eddwo said:
    *snip*
    Thanks for the recommendation. I just went out and bought it from Amazon (the other LINQ books didn't get such good reviews anyway).

And if anyone's interested in y'know... buying me stuff for free Smiley here's my wishlist.
    W3bbo said:

The W3bbo Fund.   Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Niner

There's also a free ebook on LINQ:
    http://channel9.msdn.com/Wiki/FreeEbooks/
    Introducing Microsoft LINQ by Paolo Pialorsi and Marco Russo

• User profile image
    wisemx

I agree LINQ in Action is very good.
    My only complaint is that it does repeat most topics way too many times.
    The best resources may be the Microsoft Webcasts.
    Once they're over you can download them and watch at anytime.

• User profile image
    marco.russo

You could evaluate our Programming Microsoft LINQ book. We had a single bad review on Amazon, fundamentally because the reader expected a VB-based book. Our book has been publised in late May and for this reason (I hope) we still don't have many reviews. If yopu read it... please give us your feedback!
    This is a 660-pages book that cover LINQ syntax for MS LINQ implementations and that has other several chapters dedicated to what happen under the cover and how to write your own LINQ provider and/or LINQ extension. You can read the complete TOC here and download two sample chapters and sample code from the book website. Our previous Introducing Microsoft LINQ was based on beta 1 version and is downloadable for free here, it is not too much outdated, but it is short (240 pages) compared to the new Programming LINQ (660 pages).

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.