Coffeehouse Thread

2 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

To normalise or not to normalise?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    vesuvius

Jeff Atwood has an article that appears to promote denomalisation. I agree with him about the joins, but would you ever want to be associated with building a table with denomalised parameters as suggested?

SQL Compact is very limited with regard to correlated queries or stored procedures, so denormalised tables are de rigueur. Recently I elected SQL Express over Compact because although the reduced imprint is great, if you want to scale the application, you have to re-write the database tables and data access layer and business logic etc. In SQL Express it's a very simple upgrade.

Are you courageous?

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

Well,

It's always a balance between performance and usability. I currently have a similar scenario I am working on. It involves setting percentages of molecules present in an alloy. I could go for the super duper normalized view and create a property bag in SQL or just place all the values they use in the table directly. I went for the latter, because it's more usable for me.

And the bit of SQL Express, I dont want to bother the end customer with a complete database program install. Any service installed on any machine is a risk. Even Microsoft doesnt install SQL Express for it's products that use a database (for example; Windows Media Player (Compact Edition) or XP Media Center (SQLite)).

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.