Coffeehouse Thread

58 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

What would you ask the Tablet PC team?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    scobleizer

What differentiates it from a laptop? Try using a laptop while standing up. Tablet PC excels there.

Another scenario? Try using a laptop in an airplane with a food tray in front of you. A Tablet PC is far nicer there.

Another one? Drawing in ArtRage. The pen interface is far nicer than using a mouse.

Another one? Are you left handed? A pen is nicer than a mouse.

Another one? Ever seen a pressure sensitive mouse? Me neither.

Another one? Drawing a picture with a pen is far nicer than with a mouse.

We have some more examples on video too.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Eddie,

can you have a free Tablet PC? Um, yes! Just get a job with the Tablet PC team. They are hiring devs and testers.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

wheat: good points. The Tablet PC is picking up steam. Lots of good new stuff and news coming. I'll get the video up soon.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

kencollura: I saw a new PowerToy today, but the team asked me to keep that one quiet. It's awesome, though. Should be out in public this summer, I think. I am not sure, though.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Shining: yeah, I asked them about Dell, Sony, and IBM. The folks here are working hard with a variety of OEMs. They can't announce stuff before the OEMs announce it, though. Ask your favorite OEM to do a Tablet PC, though. That does help.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

alltp: There are massive improvements coming in pen input in the 2005 version of Tablet PC Edition. Amazing improvements. Have you tried it yet?

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Yeah, I wish I had a Farsi version of the Tablet PC too. Unfortunately it's a business decision that's tough to make. Peter Loforte told me that third-parties can port the recognizer to other languages, if they see a business need.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Terri, regarding Windows Media Center with Tablet PCs. Interesting suggestion! One that the team is thinking about very hard. What would you like to see us do? What is the scenario that isn't possible today that you'd like to see made possible?

• User profile image
    terri

scobleizer wrote:
    Terri, regarding Windows Media Center with Tablet PCs. Interesting suggestion! One that the team is thinking about very hard. What would you like to see us do? What is the scenario that isn't possible today that you'd like to see made possible?

After a rough day, I'd like to become the ultimate couch potato.  Grab my Tablet and use it for everything!  Run a show that's been recorded and send it to the TV while I work on my website or in the newsgroups or just answer email. I want to be able to pause that program when I lose focus and start it again when I'm ready to pay better attention. I want to turn on the coffee pot.  Smiley

Seriously, I think it's a perfect marriage.  I want to be on the inside when it happens, from beta on, alpha if possible.  If I can't get on the Media Center beta, then I want to create a new category that I have a chance with. Wink  It's something I've been suggesting for a while now.  I think it's got lots and lots of marketing potential.

• User profile image
    WNewquay

re: synchronizing files / "do you use Outlook 2003"

Hi

Thanks for the response.

Yes, using Office / Outlook  2003

Like it very much, and recommend whenever asked, that people upgrade Office, even if only to get Outlook 2003.

I just went the the help files
    (search on synchronize pst)

Didn't see anything promising.

Do you have a reference (link) to explore?

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Terri,

I agree with you. I want that too.

Internally we talk about two experiences: the two foot experience (in other words, your Tablet PC) and the 10 foot experience (in other words, your TV screen, or plasma screen that's on the wall or across the room).

I can see a whole bunch of scenarios where these two experiences work together. In fact, I'm about to buy a Windows Media Center to run the two TVs in my house, and I'd like to see how the Tablet PC fits into that scenario as well.

The Windows Media Center team (and others, including the Longhorn teams) are working on this. I'll try to get an interview with the teams who are working on this stuff so you can see what they are thinking of, and so you can get early access.

• User profile image
    jsco

scobleizer wrote:
    Eddie,

can you have a free Tablet PC? Um, yes! Just get a job with the Tablet PC team. They are hiring devs and testers.
    How does one apply for a "tester" position, and, more importantly, what exactly is a tester?

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Actually next week we have an interview coming up with Sara Ford, who is a tester on the Visual Studio team. She explains that testers are people who find bugs.

Now, that isn't as easy as it might sound. You have to be curious. Detail oriented. And probably a developer yourself (testers do write code to automate their tests, and also it helps if you can have credibility with the developers to 1) explain what the bug is 2) Not get snowed when they say 'it's not my fault"

But more to come. I'll have the team answer this. Plus you might check the jobs' bloggers (the recruiters are keeping a blog) and Microsoft's Careers page.

• User profile image
    terri

scobleizer wrote:
    Terri,

I agree with you. I want that too.

<snip>

Thanks, Robert.  Believe me, I'm working on it from my side as well, bugging everyone I can.

I can't wait to see this all with Longhorn.  It's going to be absolutely amazing!  I'm really interested in the HDTV capabilities that might be coming along.  It doesn't feel like my TV is being utilized to its utmost.

If you hear anything specific, feel free to email me, too.

• User profile image
    AntoniDol

I think the Sensive Symbol Commander that's been pre-installed on my M200 is great. Actually l think it should be in the OS, because you lack keyboard shortcuts in Tablet mode, you need Pen shortcuts. And that's exactly what Sensiva Symbol commander is!

Of course is it great to write text that is recognized Well too, so Dutch handwriting recognition would be appreciated as well!

• User profile image
    HPClean

I think Dictionnary tools Powertoys is a great software.
    for Example i use it with a french dictionnary of veterinary words (approx. 1200 words), very specific of my job, and i have a very good recognition now.
    this Software could it be integrated in Tablet PC System ?
    I think can add word on all dictionnary in tablet PC system, must be simple for the user

• User profile image
    anywhereany​time

Robert & Teri,

Count me in too in this discussion and "must have". Ever since we got into the Windows Media Center 2004 Beta program, we were hooked and have almost a terabyte of recorded video edited with a terrific utility from Alex Siegler at www.thegreenbutton.com  Very recently, one of the MCE MVP's (SFAJeff) announced a Beta for great MS-DVR to WMV9 conversion - which we now watch wirelessly streamed to our Tablet PC or TV.

We bought our first Tablet PC's (Acer C301 convertibles), for a customer project, and now we are hooked on the Tablet PC as well.

Having spent considerable time on all things MCE related, the integration ofthe two are a natural as Teri is evangelizing. 

Technically, since the Tablet PC sits on top of WinXP Pro, as does the Tablet PC, there might be many possibilities.  One possibly simple addition would be to create a "Virtual Remote"on the Tablet PC screen so as to use the remote with pen taps only ??

Robert, I think that there would be an interesting nucleus of "fans" on the integration of these two breakthrough Microsoft products. 

Be glad to helpin any way,

Scott 

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Scobleizer:
    Ask if she knows about this bug:
    http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=4675

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.