Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Apple and the problems with Mobile Me

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    littleguru

    Apple has changed the interval of the synching with the "cloud" over MobileMe to 15 minutes - instead of instant as promoted first. For people who are still using Tiger (10.4.11) the synchronization time has been put to 1 hour. Awesome how Apple slows the old OS (speaking of the sync features) down in favour of the new OS... This could be something that Microsoft could incorporate to sell more Vista copies Wink - make XP do some random stuff while the users works with it to make it look slower than Vista...

    The file sharing via e-mail link has also been put in a "coming soon" status although the service has been released a few days ago.

    People, who wanted to try the MobileMe service, also report that the button to cancel the 60 days of trial doesn't work at all. Seems like when you get the trial you are in without possiblity to get out again.

    Don't get me wrong. This is not some random bash but rather I'm really wondering why Apple never tested the features or, even, how something like this could have happened... seems a little bit ridiculous to me; isn't it?

    The article listing these  problems is found here">http://www.heise.de/newsticker/Apples-MobileMe-mit-Aenderungen-und-Problemen-am-Start--/meldung/110934">here (it's in german).

  • User profile image
    Ray7

    littleguru said:

    Apple has changed the interval of the synching with the "cloud" over MobileMe to 15 minutes - instead of instant as promoted first. For people who are still using Tiger (10.4.11) the synchronization time has been put to 1 hour. Awesome how Apple slows the old OS (speaking of the sync features) down in favour of the new OS... This could be something that Microsoft could incorporate to sell more Vista copies Wink - make XP do some random stuff while the users works with it to make it look slower than Vista...


    Lots of glitz, but no real backbone. It looks like they've built it on the same shoddy infrastructure that they used to build the .Mac service. How can they charge $99 a year for this?

    littleguru said:

    Don't get me wrong. This is not some random bash but rather I'm really wondering why Apple never tested the features or, even, how something like this could have happened... seems a little bit ridiculous to me; isn't it?


    Has anyone else noticed that whenever someone dares to point out a problem with Apple, they feel the need to start the sentence with

    'Don't get me wrong ....'

    Usually,  it goes something like

    'Don't get me wrong, I love my Mac, but ....'

    What IS that about?

    Is it just a form of politeness, or are we just trying to avoid being verbally set upon by man-bag wielding, latte-quaffing metrosexuals.

    Anyway, as you were saying ...

    The problem with Apple is that they have to keep stuff a secret to make a big splash; so even with a small user base and limited machines to support, their stuff has to hit the market pretty much untested for load (and in some cases, stability), otherwise they would lose the element of surprise.

    Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Apple fan, but this, after the disastrous Leopard release, does make wonder if the company is losing its way on the quality control front.

  • User profile image
    littleguru

    Ray7 said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*


    Has anyone else noticed that whenever someone dares to point out a problem with Apple, they feel the need to start the sentence with

    'Don't get me wrong ....'

    Usually,  it goes something like

    'Don't get me wrong, I love my Mac, but ....'

    What IS that about?

    Is it just a form of politeness, or are we just trying to avoid being verbally set upon by man-bag wielding, latte-quaffing metrosexuals.

    Anyway, as you were saying ...

    The problem with Apple is that they have to keep stuff a secret to make a big splash; so even with a small user base and limited machines to support, their stuff has to hit the market pretty much untested for load (and in some cases, stability), otherwise they would lose the element of surprise.

    Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Apple fan, but this, after the disastrous Leopard release, does make wonder if the company is losing its way on the quality control front.

    My "don't get me wrong" wasn't Apple related. I would have posted that also with any other technology or company. I wanted to point out that this isn't a random rant but rather that I'm trying to understand why something like this could happen.

  • User profile image
    Ray7

    littleguru said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*

    My "don't get me wrong" wasn't Apple related. I would have posted that also with any other technology or company. I wanted to point out that this isn't a random rant but rather that I'm trying to understand why something like this could happen.

    Yeah, I know ... you didn't qualify it with an undying love for Apple for a start ...

    I was just making an observation.

    As to why it happens.  As I said, when you are trying to keep everything you do a big secret, then you simply can't test properly.

    There are a lot of folk complaining that iPhone apps are crashing their iPhones ... hard.

    Now ignoring the notion that this wasn't supposed to happen (rock solid OS, sandboxed applications and no multi-tasking to bugger things up), there is still no real explanation as to what is going wrong. The developers say that Apple introduced last minute changes in the firmware that are causing real problems.  So why didn't they know? Because that's the way Apple likes to play it.

  • User profile image
    Bas

    Speaking of quality control, I'm hearing reports that the App Store turns out to be mostly crap. Flashlight apps and stuff like that. Single applications that are only used to promote some online radio station or some website. I'm reminded of Microsoft's Gadget Gallery. Maybe the drawbacks of being a more mainstream platform are starting to kick in?

  • User profile image
    Dovella

    if it had happened to Microsoft the same thing at this time there were several fires and Huntings witch in Redmond

  • User profile image
    stevo_

    Dovella said:
    if it had happened to Microsoft the same thing at this time there were several fires and Huntings witch in Redmond

    Yea, if Microsoft did this  - all the big "news" sites out there (like engadget and that other one full of linux d-- heads, whats it called?) would be screaming about this..

    But meh, being Apple they get their silenced e-pistol out.. and assassinate anyone who dare tal--

    MHngfass heel#'####21========

  • User profile image
    Dovella

    stevo_ said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*

    Yea, if Microsoft did this  - all the big "news" sites out there (like engadget and that other one full of linux d-- heads, whats it called?) would be screaming about this..

    But meh, being Apple they get their silenced e-pistol out.. and assassinate anyone who dare tal--

    MHngfass heel#'####21========

    I do not think murder, IMO editors could be partisan?

    while several user know that a mistake so I call future  Big Smile

  • User profile image
    BHpaddock

    Dovella said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*
    I do not think murder, IMO editors could be partisan?

    while several user know that a mistake so I call future  Big Smile

    Perhaps they should have just built MobileMe on Exchange Tongue Out

    My push e-mail works great through that.

  • User profile image
    Dovella

    BHpaddock said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*
    Perhaps they should have just built MobileMe on Exchange Tongue Out

    My push e-mail works great through that.
    Wink

    Hey Brandon
    how many journalists have reported this news? Big Smile

    In Italy 0 ,
    in the world??

    and

    the video of bill Gates crash Win. 98 with USB is very popular..

    and this?  is popular?




Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.