Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

The Home Cloud ....

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ray7

    Now I haven't been impressed with a lot of stuff from MS of late, but I have to say that I am gobsmacked with my Windows Home Server. It just sits there in a corner and does its job.  A doddle to set up (what setup?)  and dare I say it, matches anything from Cupertino for ease of use.  Well worth the money.

    It does need to come with a cat warning though. Something to warn prowling felines that it is about to wake up all the machines in the house to back them up.

    'MOM, DAD WE HAZ BURGLRZ!'

    'Calm down Rory, burglars come in and just take the computers; they don't switch them on and spend quality time facebooking until the police arrive.'

    So what does it need to make it absolutely perfect?

    Well, it's all very well backing up the computers to a server .... but the server is still in the house. What if it burns down, or gets swiped along with the rest of my stuff?

    How about an online backup service to go with it? Something that has a single command to take the backups and store them on MS servers somewhere? I would certainly pay a (reasonable) yearly fee for that.

    But how about this? Why not extend it become the Home Cloud? The whole family can sync their contacts, calendars and emails, to any device that supports it. Third parties can use it as a hub to sync data for any application they create.

    I mean, the thing is on 24/7 anyway, it has its own IP address, so why not really make use of it?


  • User profile image
    Bas

    I love WHS too, except for the fact that it actually destroyed my data instead of keeping it safe. Now I have to run a beta patch on it just to get it to do what I paid for.

    Yes, I'm still bitter about the whole data corruption thing.

  • User profile image
    Ray7

    Bas said:
    I love WHS too, except for the fact that it actually destroyed my data instead of keeping it safe. Now I have to run a beta patch on it just to get it to do what I paid for.

    Yes, I'm still bitter about the whole data corruption thing.

    Sorry to hear that .... Sad

    As soon as I plugged mine in, it screamed 'Patch me! Patch me!'

    I'll carry on doing the test restores though ....

  • User profile image
    Bas

    Ray7 said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

    Sorry to hear that .... Sad

    As soon as I plugged mine in, it screamed 'Patch me! Patch me!'

    I'll carry on doing the test restores though ....

    Actually, since the recent power back beta my stuff hasn't gotten destroyed anymore, even though I was uneasy about installing any beta stuff on there. So they're on the right track, even if they're a couple months late.

  • User profile image
    webmonkey

    Couldn't you just use Mesh to do it?

  • User profile image
    Stebet

    http://www.jungledisk.com/homeserver/index.aspx

    15 cents per GB per month Smiley Not all that much to pay for a permanent cloud-based backup. Just don't go storing 100's of gigabytes Tongue Out

  • User profile image
    Ray7

    webmonkey said:

    Couldn't you just use Mesh to do it?

    Yeah you could.

    But I wondered if folk would feel better about the whole cloud thing if there data was stored locally, rather than on untrustyworthy corporate servers.

    Though if their stuff was being copied to untrustyworthy servers during a sync, then would they necessarily know?

  • User profile image
    Bas

    Ray7 said:
    webmonkey said:
    *snip*
    Yeah you could.

    But I wondered if folk would feel better about the whole cloud thing if there data was stored locally, rather than on untrustyworthy corporate servers.

    Though if their stuff was being copied to untrustyworthy servers during a sync, then would they necessarily know?

    Then again, you could wonder if people's data isn't actually safer in a corporate data center than in their break-innable, power-surgable, burnable, floodable house, along with all the other devices that carry their data.

  • User profile image
    jamie

    ive been totally happy win server03 ....  does its job nicely.


    but then ive never tried whs...

  • User profile image
    magicalclick

    jamie said:
    ive been totally happy win server03 ....  does its job nicely.


    but then ive never tried whs...
    How is corporate servers untrustyworthy? You know when you have a bigger company where company information if important, you still end up sending your data over internet to data center for backup. You all end up in the same place, data center.

    Anyway, data centers are totally reliable since data is backed up in many sites all over the continent, and the fail over servers always kicks in automatically.

    Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Bas

    magicalclick said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*
    How is corporate servers untrustyworthy? You know when you have a bigger company where company information if important, you still end up sending your data over internet to data center for backup. You all end up in the same place, data center.

    Anyway, data centers are totally reliable since data is backed up in many sites all over the continent, and the fail over servers always kicks in automatically.
    For many people, the words "corporate server" are perceived as "OMG, they're going to look through my stuff and spam me!".

  • User profile image
    Ray7

    Bas said:
    magicalclick said:
    *snip*
    For many people, the words "corporate server" are perceived as "OMG, they're going to look through my stuff and spam me!".
    That was my point.  Yeah, I know that data may be safer on public servers but people don't trust corporates, unless its Apple; then of course, trust is implicit.

    So if you offer the a Home Cloud, and also allow them to backup the data (encrypted) on a server, then that could be a winner.

    There are companies appearing that will allow you to back up a WHS box, but MS needs to offer a complete solution (or just partner with someone) right out of the box.



Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.