Coffeehouse Thread

29 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows Update versus Ubuntu Update : No reboots in Linux? O RLY? :)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    turrican

Just found this fun article : http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=496

It compares Windows Update with Ubuntu Update, they even have a similar UAC prompt. You know, that thing all Linux users say Windows shouldn't have and that it sucks etc. etc. Anyway, fun to read.

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

And ubuntu doesn't have "remind me in 1 hour"

• User profile image
    intelman

brian.shapiro said:
    And ubuntu doesn't have "remind me in 1 hour"
    Ubuntu also doesn't have WGA. You don't have to click allow on the mighty yellow bar, refresh the page, then click install. It honestly gets annoying. IE8 also has a "protected mode feature" where it starts a new process and new window when it goes into protected mode, how sweet is that.

• User profile image
    Bass

Ubuntu by default only asks you for creditentals at most once per 5 minutes. Also it doesn't reset the graphics buffer or whatever the crap happens when UAC pops up, the gksu prompt appears pretty much instantly. I personally don't have a problem with UAC in theory, just it's execution.

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

intelman said:
    brian.shapiro said:
    *snip*
    Ubuntu also doesn't have WGA. You don't have to click allow on the mighty yellow bar, refresh the page, then click install. It honestly gets annoying. IE8 also has a "protected mode feature" where it starts a new process and new window when it goes into protected mode, how sweet is that.
    Firefox on Ubuntu doesn't have a yellow bar? it does on Windows.  Which I'm sure you use on Windows.

• User profile image
    turrican

Bass said:
    Ubuntu by default only asks you for creditentals at most once per 5 minutes. Also it doesn't reset the graphics buffer or whatever the crap happens when UAC pops up, the gksu prompt appears pretty much instantly. I personally don't have a problem with UAC in theory, just it's execution.
    Gotta agree with you on that ( even if I'm a MS fan-boy : p )... on my gf's laptop, everytime the UAC pops up, it sort'a change resolution or whatever the heck it does, her screen is slow and lazy so it takes like 10 seconds for each UAC to popup. Very annoying. I wonder why this behaviour exists in UAC. Anyone knows why they done it? I would hit the guy who made this behaviour with an empty can of coke if I saw him! Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    turrican

yman said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*
    By default UAC under Vista uses a different desktop than your main desktop to show the dialog. The aim of such is to prevent malicious applications sending messages to the dialog to gain privileged elevation. They take a "print screen" of your main desktop, apply some filters to give that dimm washed-out look and set that as the wallpaper desktop on the secure virtual desktop. You can tell this is happening if you are ever watching a video and UAC pops up with a static video frame in the player. This process of taking a screen shot and flipping to a different desktop causes the "flicker" effect which people often complain about. I being one of them. You can thankfully turn-off the secure desktop feature meaning the dialog will pop-up on your main windows desktop like any other dialog box. This can make UAC less irritating, however doing so you would lose the attractiveness of the isolated dialog under the secure desktop.
    Oh ! Do you know how to turn that secure dialog off?

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

• User profile image
    aL_

yman said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*
    It depends on which version of Vista you are using. If you're running Business, Enterprise, Ultimate you can use the Local Security Policy to tweek the UAC settings. However, I'm unfortunate as I run Home Premium meaning I had to manually add a registry key to turn it off. The knowledge is widespread, just do a google Smiley
    i do Smiley

http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/15402/how-do-i-disable-secure-desktop.html

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Bass said:
    This whole "you remain root for five minutes" thing is a terrible idea. Some screenshots suggested that they are planning that for Windows 7 too and I hope they reconsider. It's so easy to poke holes into that system, it's a terrible idea.

• User profile image
    intelman

brian.shapiro said:
    intelman said:
    *snip*
    Firefox on Ubuntu doesn't have a yellow bar? it does on Windows.  Which I'm sure you use on Windows.
    The yellowbar in Firefox is only for downloading extensions on a 3rd party website, or popups. I don't have a yellow bar for downloading a file.....at least by default.

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

intelman said:
    brian.shapiro said:
    *snip*
    The yellowbar in Firefox is only for downloading extensions on a 3rd party website, or popups. I don't have a yellow bar for downloading a file.....at least by default.
    I don't get a yellow bar when i want to download a file in IE . Firefox does force me to wait a few seconds before I click the button to open things though.

• User profile image
    intelman

brian.shapiro said:
    intelman said:
    *snip*
    I don't get a yellow bar when i want to download a file in IE . Firefox does force me to wait a few seconds before I click the button to open things though.
    Well then I give you the yellow bar.

You don't get one if you click a direct download link, it is only if you have to wait the odd 5 or 10 seconds, which is almost everything. Game patches, software downloads, plugins...etc.

The yellow bar is even worse for Active X though. On my test machine I'm always downloading crap from MSDN. This is the whole process. First I find the download, I check the box to download, then I click download, the MSDN bar scrolls then a yellow bar pops up asking me to allow an active x control to be installed. I click confirm allow or w/e it is. The page has to refresh. So I click the check box on the download I want, I press download again, then a dialogue box pops up saying Install or Cancel. I press install, then UAC pops up, then I click allow, then the control is installed. Then I have additional clicks where to save it...etc. Those additional clicks are acceptable, but it is just an annoying process.

Do we really need full admin rights to install the Microsoft File Transfer program? Can't it just be installed with user rights? Even if it needed full admin permissions, why can't there be a click to allow and install button in one click.

• User profile image
    Bass

Sven Groot said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*
    This whole "you remain root for five minutes" thing is a terrible idea. Some screenshots suggested that they are planning that for Windows 7 too and I hope they reconsider. It's so easy to poke holes into that system, it's a terrible idea.
    What's so wrong about giving users an option? In Vista it seems to be or all nothing. You can Ubuntu remove the grace period or change it to any arbitrary time or disable the entire thing entirely.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Sven Groot said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*
    I agree. The same problem occurs with the Belgian eID: if you use it to authenticate on a website, you enter your PIN once and you stay authenticated for a while. Other applications can just use it to authenticate on websites BEHIND YOUR BACK.

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

yman said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*
    It depends on which version of Vista you are using. If you're running Business, Enterprise, Ultimate you can use the Local Security Policy to tweek the UAC settings. However, I'm unfortunate as I run Home Premium meaning I had to manually add a registry key to turn it off. The knowledge is widespread, just do a google Smiley
    I really like how Ubuntu Update covers everything installed on the system (well, everything installed via Ubuntu's package repositories). It is far better than Microsoft Update.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.