Coffeehouse Thread

34 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Warning for "DS Development" Microsoft partner, don't buy their stuff!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    turrican

I bought a legit version of "Outlook Bells & Whistles" which they sell ( http://www.emailaddressmanager.com/ ) it only allows "two activation", one per PC. So... I install Hyper-V and poof! It won't activate now! It thinks I got a new PC. Which I don't.

This is such a bunch of crap and bs! They should atleast be honest and say "We don't sell you, we RENT it to you." a-holes... anyway, just a warning for others to see. Don't buy their stuff.

Meanwhile, I'll have to find a way to crack this thing myself to get it to work. I refuse to repay them. I already paid them and it's still on same PC.

Edit : Forget the crack, I just uninstalled their stuff. I refuse to run software from such a moronic place. It crashed Outlook all the time anyhow. I'll write a script myself.

Edit 2 : Code :

I know, very "bad" code, but I know zero VBscript. It took me 10mins but it was worth it! Now I won't need their darn activation junk. I'll do it myself.

You put the code via Tools -> Macro -> Visual Basic Editor -> Microsoft Office Outlook -> ThisOutlookSession

Private Sub Application_ItemSend(ByVal Item As Object, Cancel As Boolean)

If InStr(Item.Recipients.Item(1).Address, "SOME PERSON HERE") > 0 Then
            Item.ReplyRecipients.Add "SOME EMAIL HERE"
            For i = 1 To Application.Session.Accounts.Count
                If (InStr(Application.Session.Accounts(i).DisplayName, "SOME ACCOUNT NAME HERE") > 0) Then
                    Item.SendUsingAccount = Application.Session.Accounts(i)
                End If
            Next
        End If

Item.ReplyRecipients.Item(1).Resolve
        Item.Save

End Sub

• User profile image
    spivonious

Wait, so you installed Hyper-V and it broke the installation on the host OS?  Or did you try to install it on a bunch of guest OSes?  Because if it's the latter, then I see nothing shady.  Two PCs means two OS installations.  That is standard practice for software licensing.

• User profile image
    turrican

spivonious said:
    Wait, so you installed Hyper-V and it broke the installation on the host OS?  Or did you try to install it on a bunch of guest OSes?  Because if it's the latter, then I see nothing shady.  Two PCs means two OS installations.  That is standard practice for software licensing.

It broke the installation on the host OS. It was installed on Outlook 2007 and worked fine. I installed Hyper-V and rebooted. Ran outlook ( on the host OS ) and it asked for activation. So I clicked activate and it told me "Nope, won't do it!"... pissed me off. Anyway, I use the above VBScript to do the job now. They lost me as a customer.

I mean, sure pirating is bad and all. But this activation crap is too much to handle sometimes. Specially with limit on two activations. It sais two PCs but their activation won't work properly ( obviously )... so to heck with'em and their crappy software.

• User profile image
    DS Dev

turrican said:
    spivonious said:
    *snip*

It broke the installation on the host OS. It was installed on Outlook 2007 and worked fine. I installed Hyper-V and rebooted. Ran outlook ( on the host OS ) and it asked for activation. So I clicked activate and it told me "Nope, won't do it!"... pissed me off. Anyway, I use the above VBScript to do the job now. They lost me as a customer.

I mean, sure pirating is bad and all. But this activation crap is too much to handle sometimes. Specially with limit on two activations. It sais two PCs but their activation won't work properly ( obviously )... so to heck with'em and their crappy software.

Hi Turrican,

I'm working for the DS Development support dept. Just to clarify it:

1. You bought a single-user license of Bells & Whistles. Each single-user license can be activated twice, on two computers. It is clearly stated on our web site and it is the common practice on licensing. If you reinstall the program on a computer where it was already activated, it will not consume a new activation, unless you replaced your hardware (it is a hardware lock). If the activation failed because you reached the max allowed activations for a single-user license, it means you already activated the license twice. Since you installed Hyper-V, most likely it changed or added some hardware IDs, causing the licensing system to identify your computer as a new one (so an activation is required).

2. You could have emailed us and explain the situation, I guarantee you that we would have reset your activation counter and you could have re-activate the license without having to pay again. We are not that stupid to disallow a customer to re-activate his license, if he upgraded his computer.

Kind regards,
    Dan Pascal
    DS Development

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

DS Dev said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*
    Hi Turrican,

1. You bought a single-user license of Bells & Whistles. Each single-user license can be activated twice, on two computers. It is clearly stated on our web site and it is the common practice on licensing. If you reinstall the program on a computer where it was already activated, it will not consume a new activation, unless you replaced your hardware (it is a hardware lock). If the activation failed because you reached the max allowed activations for a single-user license, it means you already activated the license twice. Since you installed Hyper-V, most likely it changed or added some hardware IDs, causing the licensing system to identify your computer as a new one (so an activation is required).

2. You could have emailed us and explain the situation, I guarantee you that we would have reset your activation counter and you could have re-activate the license without having to pay again. We are not that stupid to disallow a customer to re-activate his license, if he upgraded his computer.

Kind regards,
    Dan Pascal
    DS Development
    Turrican, I'll have to agree with DS Dev here. It's not nice to diss a company like this and make it sound like they are being unreasonable without at least trying to contact them for a solution. I don't know them or their products, but my first impression of them after reading your post was pretty negative. But DS Dev's post made me give up that impression. Just because some random guy on the internet rants about a product doesn't mean it's a bad product.

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

DS Dev said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*
    Hi Turrican,

Kind regards,
    Dan Pascal
    DS Development

This is some agressive activation scheme you guys have.

Scanning and monitoring hardware ID's?

Thanks, but no thanks Dan.

I agree with Turrican, installing software or additional hardware should not break some program's activation. That's a bad software practice.

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

TommyCarlier said:
    DS Dev said:
    *snip*
    Turrican, I'll have to agree with DS Dev here. It's not nice to diss a company like this and make it sound like they are being unreasonable without at least trying to contact them for a solution. I don't know them or their products, but my first impression of them after reading your post was pretty negative. But DS Dev's post made me give up that impression. Just because some random guy on the internet rants about a product doesn't mean it's a bad product.
    Just an emotional rant, that explains all the edit's. Look past the text and try to see why he is so upset.

He has bought a legit product and get's the shaft for putting in a new piece of software or hardware. I would rant too.

• User profile image
    DS Dev

Maddus Mattus said:
    TommyCarlier said:
    *snip*
    Just an emotional rant, that explains all the edit's. Look past the text and try to see why he is so upset.

He has bought a legit product and get's the shaft for putting in a new piece of software or hardware. I would rant too.
    Our licensing mechanism is only using the BIOS id of the motherboard. If this ID is changed, we assume the motherboard changed too, so most likely it is a new computer. As a result, the program asks for a new license activation.

If you just install new hardware or even reinstall the OS, it will NOT ask you for a new license activation. It only does it if you replace the motherboard or if you install a program that updates or emulates new BIOS ids (like the current case). We don't find this solution to be so agressive... and we always reset the activation counter if we are contacted about it.

BTW, we did receive an email today from Turrican and his license counter was already reset.

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

DS Dev said:
    Maddus Mattus said:
    *snip*
    Our licensing mechanism is only using the BIOS id of the motherboard. If this ID is changed, we assume the motherboard changed too, so most likely it is a new computer. As a result, the program asks for a new license activation.

If you just install new hardware or even reinstall the OS, it will NOT ask you for a new license activation. It only does it if you replace the motherboard or if you install a program that updates or emulates new BIOS ids (like the current case). We don't find this solution to be so agressive... and we always reset the activation counter if we are contacted about it.

BTW, we did receive an email today from Turrican and his license counter was already reset.
    Kudos too you! Smiley

• User profile image
    turrican

DS Dev said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*
    Hi Turrican,

Kind regards,
    Dan Pascal
    DS Development
    My point is, you are being WAY TOO AGRESSIVE on the activation! WAY TOO MUCH! This happened for me in the middle of the night, in middle of my important work trying to reach customers, sending 50-60 emails!!! I relied on your product but it just broke on me without a valid reason. I shouldn't have to email support, wait 100000000000000000 hours for your reply! Your agressive limited junk activation scheme made me lose a couple of hours of work, which in turn, translates : I bought a junk from you for what, $30? and I lost $100/hour because it got ape on me!

I have worked in this business for 14-15 years, and I tell you that your way of doing business is indeed broken! I have for example mIRC installed and it also have activation. I have activated it many times! reinstalled etc but it didn't go ape on me.

Your explanation is just a bad excuse. Your way of activation made you lose a customer. Made the customer angry and annoyed. That isn't how I treat my customers. Thankfully this is still somewhat of a free market. So I warn everyone again and will continue to warn them from your products until you fix this agressive idiotic activation limit.

Who do you think you are, Microsoft? Not even Microsoft is this agressive. You sell a half baked outlook add-in which I almost made myself in 10minutes. I bought your product to save time, not to lose time.

You should rethink this. You go around advertise how productive this product will be etc etc, but at the same time, you waste the customers' time.

I don't accept your excuse. I don't accept your way of doing business. As I stated above, you already lost me as a customer. I will never ever do business with you. and not only that! I will be VERY careful next time I buy something with activation in it. Unless it's from Microsoft. You see, I trust Microsoft.

• User profile image
    turrican

TommyCarlier said:
    DS Dev said:
    *snip*
    I was very upset, I edited two times. However, I think I have a valid point nevertheless. If you please try to look beyond the upsetness of the post, you will see the reason for the rant better. Also, He sais BIOS and MB ID... how come Hyper-V altered it then? My BIOS nor MB never changed. I don't believe him. and having such agressive activation is very annoying. I never read their license agreeent. Heck, WHO DOES?

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

turrican said:
    TommyCarlier said:
    *snip*
    I was very upset, I edited two times. However, I think I have a valid point nevertheless. If you please try to look beyond the upsetness of the post, you will see the reason for the rant better. Also, He sais BIOS and MB ID... how come Hyper-V altered it then? My BIOS nor MB never changed. I don't believe him. and having such agressive activation is very annoying. I never read their license agreeent. Heck, WHO DOES?
    At least give him kudos for coming here and posting about it.

Chill out, have some coffee,...

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

turrican said:
    TommyCarlier said:
    *snip*
    The way I see this is if access to this application is so important that you can't go a day or even a few hours without it then a install of Hyper-V on the same machine proberbly wasn't a great idea Wink On the flip side, there should be a grace period in the deactivation scheme that if it detects a hardware change it should give you a least 72 hours (i.e. cover a long weekend) before it shuts down so you can contact support.

• User profile image
    turrican

Maddus Mattus said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*

Ok, true enough. I'll give him that.
    Smiley

• User profile image
    turrican

PerfectPhase said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*
    The way I see this is if access to this application is so important that you can't go a day or even a few hours without it then a install of Hyper-V on the same machine proberbly wasn't a great idea Wink On the flip side, there should be a grace period in the deactivation scheme that if it detects a hardware change it should give you a least 72 hours (i.e. cover a long weekend) before it shuts down so you can contact support.
    Maybe but then again, who thinks installing Hyper-V would inferfer with some minimal add-in in Outlook! *lol*

• User profile image
    turrican

Maddus Mattus said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*

You know, I should almost make a similar product like theirs and then open source it! haha, that'd be show them why activaton sucks!

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

turrican said:
    Maddus Mattus said:
    *snip*
    You know, I should almost make a similar product like theirs and then open source it! haha, that'd be show them why activaton sucks!

I will then fork your project and include all kinds of nonsense halfbaked features and we can start an outlook add-in fued between the two of us!

Good idea!

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Maddus Mattus said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*

I will then fork your project and include all kinds of nonsense halfbaked features and we can start an outlook add-in fued between the two of us!

Good idea!

Unless turrican puts a Maddus Mattus-clause in his license that states something like this: This project is open-source, except for Maddus Mattus, who is not allowed to fork it.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.