Coffeehouse Thread

30 posts

Why is Windows Server 2008 a better desktop OS than Windows Vista?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

http://www.win2008workstation.com/wordpress/2008/03/16/why-should-i-use-a-server-os-for-my-workstation/

I looked though some of the links that were listed there and I am surprised by the numbers I am seeing for the benchmarks people are running. Video games run faster on Windows Server 2008 than on Vista. Windows Server 2008 uses less memory than Vista. Certain things run faster on Windows Server 2008 than on Windows XP. Despite all of this, the processes that are running are generally the same.

Many people that work at Microsoft visit these forums. Does anyone have any idea why there is this discrepancy?

• User profile image
    turrican
  • User profile image
    turrican

yepp, I agree. I don't know why but 2k8 IS indeed faster. I am very happy with it.

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

turrican said:
    yepp, I agree. I don't know why but 2k8 IS indeed faster. I am very happy with it.
    Vista was compiled in "Debug" mode by mistake.
    Win2008 was compiled in "Release".

Big Smile

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Minh

BlackTiger said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*
    Vista was compiled in "Debug" mode by mistake.
    Win2008 was compiled in "Release".

Big Smile

I guess you can run whatever legal version of Windows on your desktop that you want, I supposed Smiley

But it's a really BAD idea for MS to combine the 2 lines, simply because the desktop, consumer version needs to have aggressive, user-centric features implemented (maybe to compete with a certain cat-theme OS?). Damn it, I need my animated 3D folder NOW!

Where as the server, business version needs stability.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Minh said:
    BlackTiger said:
    *snip*
    I guess you can run whatever legal version of Windows on your desktop that you want, I supposed Smiley

But it's a really BAD idea for MS to combine the 2 lines, simply because the desktop, consumer version needs to have aggressive, user-centric features implemented (maybe to compete with a certain cat-theme OS?). Damn it, I need my animated 3D folder NOW!

The kernels are the same though. Under the hood, Vista SP1 and Windows Server 2008 are identical, and that's the first time in the history of Windows that has happened (unless you count Windows XP x64, which was built on the same base as Windows Server 2003 SP1).

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Sven Groot said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*
    The kernels are the same though. Under the hood, Vista SP1 and Windows Server 2008 are identical, and that's the first time in the history of Windows that has happened (unless you count Windows XP x64, which was built on the same base as Windows Server 2003 SP1).
    Which is great for building servers out of commodity parts since you can use any hardware with "Vista" drivers.

But as for the "...the first time in history..." what about Windows NT 3.x, 4.0, and 2000? They all had both workstation and server variants with the same kernel version.

• User profile image
    Minh

W3bbo said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*
    Which is great for building servers out of commodity parts since you can use any hardware with "Vista" drivers.

But as for the "...the first time in history..." what about Windows NT 3.x, 4.0, and 2000? They all had both workstation and server variants with the same kernel version.
    He's talking about the consumer vs the business version of Windows Wink

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Minh said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*
    Can it be said NT4 Workstation was sort-of a consumer OS? Pretty much everything that came out of Microsoft since 1996 had "Designed for Windows NT" stickers on it, including stuff from Microsoft Games.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Minh said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*
    That's what I meant yeah. It used to be 9x vs. NT, then XP and 2003.

• User profile image
    stevo_

W3bbo said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*
    Can it be said NT4 Workstation was sort-of a consumer OS? Pretty much everything that came out of Microsoft since 1996 had "Designed for Windows NT" stickers on it, including stuff from Microsoft Games.

Clutching at straws me thinks trying to say NT4 would be classified as a consumer OS.. I base this purely on asking anyone I know who just uses computers, doesn't actually know much about them.. (usual comsumer).. if they have ever heard of NT4 workstation.

Anyway.. I'm interested in this, if these are both out of the box experiences, I kinda could see 08 being that tad bit faster.. but it looks a lot faster.. and I just doesn't sound right that a consumer based OS would be doing more work than a server based OS.. I know theres a lot of little things that can be setup on a consumer OS.. but I'm willing to bet that a default consumer OS shouldn't be doing much more than the default server OS..

Why doesn't Vista have a feature picker thats more like 08's roles and features (but of course; more pretty looking)? then I can say.. yea I plan to do nothing really but play games on this..

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

stevo_ said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

Clutching at straws me thinks trying to say NT4 would be classified as a consumer OS.. I base this purely on asking anyone I know who just uses computers, doesn't actually know much about them.. (usual comsumer).. if they have ever heard of NT4 workstation.

Anyway.. I'm interested in this, if these are both out of the box experiences, I kinda could see 08 being that tad bit faster.. but it looks a lot faster.. and I just doesn't sound right that a consumer based OS would be doing more work than a server based OS.. I know theres a lot of little things that can be setup on a consumer OS.. but I'm willing to bet that a default consumer OS shouldn't be doing much more than the default server OS..

Why doesn't Vista have a feature picker thats more like 08's roles and features (but of course; more pretty looking)? then I can say.. yea I plan to do nothing really but play games on this..

I think on Win2k8, superfetch and the search indexer are disabled by default, among other things.

• User profile image
    Bass

Sven Groot said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*
    I think on Win2k8, superfetch and the search indexer are disabled by default, among other things.
    Can you remove all the server junk from it too? Another useful thing is you can get Win2k8 for free if you are a student.

• User profile image
    phreaks

Sven Groot said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*
    Also Media Sharing via WMP has been completely removed and I have been unable to figure out a way to install it so far.

So no streaming mp3's/mpg's to your xbox, unless you use some third party tool.

• User profile image
    Minh

phreaks said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*
    Also Media Sharing via WMP has been completely removed and I have been unable to figure out a way to install it so far.

So no streaming mp3's/mpg's to your xbox, unless you use some third party tool.
    I believe Aero is disabled by default on 2K8, too

• User profile image
    stevo_

Minh said:
    phreaks said:
    *snip*
    I believe Aero is disabled by default on 2K8, too

But Aero disables itself when a full screen app launches.. so I can't see how that would effect games..

• User profile image
    jamie

Minh said:
    BlackTiger said:
    *snip*

re: (maybe to compete with a certain cat-theme OS?).

LolCats OS?

..hmmm.  Wink

• User profile image
    spivonious

stevo_ said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

I agree with that.  What happened to the custom setup option?  I'd like to pick through every single non-essential component of Vista and not install it if I feel that I don't need it.  If something ends up needing it, then just download it.  Would it be that hard to implement?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.