Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

SSD , do you have one?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    turrican

I just read http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2221522/flash-chip-long-life-created regarding a new type of flash which instead of 10K times, it can handle 100 million times writes. I wonder when we'll see this on the market.

Does any of you have a SSD? specially in server environment. I'm pondering of building a new server and was curious if I could trust these SSDs. Imagine having 24x7 server swap/log/sql etc on these. How long will it "actually" last? Or should I go with SAS15Krpm?

Is SSD faster than a SAS15Krpm?

How often should SSDs be replaced?

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

Usually once... By HDD. Big Smile

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    turrican

BlackTiger said:
    Usually once... By HDD. Big Smile

hm, you mean SSDs are no good?
    :o

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

For a desktop or even a development machine SSD it's fine I guess..., but for a server... For the servers there are other ways to improve performance like RAID and stuff, I'll go with four 15K drives in RAID stripping Tongue Out

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

turrican said:
    BlackTiger said:
    *snip*
    hm, you mean SSDs are no good?
    :o
    SSD just doesn't worth it's price. SSD not faster than HDD, sometimes even slower.
    Lower power consumption? Kinda stupid argument after looking at it's price tag. Smiley
    And number of MBytes per device...

Ofcoz, if you have a lot of unnecessary money... Big Smile Send it to me... Big Smile

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    turrican

I see. Well I was more into performance and reliability issues. Perhaps more of a reliability rather than performance. I always felt kind'a weird each time I think the HDD is rotating at 15K rpm, god knows what could go wrong there. *lol* I guess I'll stick to SAS for a while longer.

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

turrican said:
    I see. Well I was more into performance and reliability issues. Perhaps more of a reliability rather than performance. I always felt kind'a weird each time I think the HDD is rotating at 15K rpm, god knows what could go wrong there. *lol* I guess I'll stick to SAS for a while longer.
    Review/comparison: http://techreport.com/articles.x/15079

Last modified
  • User profile image
    Philip C

There are other types of Flash SSD that are specifically intended for server environments.

Example:  http://www.ramsan.com/products/ramsan-500/

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.