Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

win2k8 as workstation

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    turrican

Suddenly, I don't feel as crazy anymore : http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/07/15/2325215

I got to agree with it. I was on Vx64 and it was not fun at all. Honestly, win2k8 as a workstation is amazing. I'm pretty sure it isn't my imagination but it actually IS more snappier than V. It also has (now) Hyper-V in it, much nicer than slow VirtualPC. I don't see how a developer would feel better on V rather than 2k8.

Well, there is a price issue, but still I think it was worth the buy.

Edit : wait, damn it! Did I just agree with something on Slashdot? I Must be going crazy then after all! Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

I would think there wouldn't be much of a difference (post Vista-SP1) since they're the same thing (for the most part) just with different configurations.  I'd be interested to see someone configure the same machine with both set ups and the same services running (like no Aero and things like that) to see if there really is a legitimate reason why one is faster than the other.  Give me an apples to apples comparison please.  Smiley  Because if there is a real reason why 2K8 is faster than Vista, I'd switch tomorrow.

• User profile image
    turrican

HumanCompiler said:

I would think there wouldn't be much of a difference (post Vista-SP1) since they're the same thing (for the most part) just with different configurations.  I'd be interested to see someone configure the same machine with both set ups and the same services running (like no Aero and things like that) to see if there really is a legitimate reason why one is faster than the other.  Give me an apples to apples comparison please.  Smiley  Because if there is a real reason why 2K8 is faster than Vista, I'd switch tomorrow.

Hm, well one big plus is that I get to learn the server OS as well. Since I got a 100/100 at home as well, I can serve a lot of stuff too ( WWW / FTP ). Hyper-V is also a big plus.

I have Aero enabled in 2k8. I can't give you any hard facts but everything feel snappier : ( ... In case I get my hand on some extra PC I'll try to install both and do a compare for you.

• User profile image
    dahat

HumanCompiler said:

2K8 isn't so much faster than Vista in my experience but comes with Hyper-V which is the sole reason I use it as my OS both at home and at work.

• User profile image
    Minh

turrican said:
    HumanCompiler said:
    *snip*
    Hm, well one big plus is that I get to learn the server OS as well. Since I got a 100/100 at home as well, I can serve a lot of stuff too ( WWW / FTP ). Hyper-V is also a big plus.

I have Aero enabled in 2k8. I can't give you any hard facts but everything feel snappier : ( ... In case I get my hand on some extra PC I'll try to install both and do a compare for you.
    I heard from .Net rocks (they did a Hyper-V show recently) that Hyper-V disables your laptop's suspend/resume abilities. So, beware.

• User profile image
    turrican

Minh said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*
    I heard from .Net rocks (they did a Hyper-V show recently) that Hyper-V disables your laptop's suspend/resume abilities. So, beware.
    Ok thanks for the warning. However I don't use a laptop. I actually hate'em. hehhe... GOOD OLD BIG TOWER FOR THE WIN! Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Dexter

HumanCompiler said:

Well, I have both Vista and Win2008 on my laptop so I think I can answer: they're pretty much the same.

Yes, Win2008 takes less memory than Vista and is perhaps a bit more responsive (tough here I'm not sure it is real or just some form of autosuggestion). But the thing is that Win2008 doesn't have a lot of things installed by default. There's no Aero, there's no Windows Search, there's no Windows Media Player, there's not audio stack, there's no prefetcher etc. Install all those on Win2008 or remove/disable them on Vista and you'll end up with the same results.

I think Win2003 was better than WinXP for various reasons (newer kernel, IIS6 etc.) but in the case of Win2008/Vista there's not much difference.

PS: I forgot to mention that on my laptop Win2008 has a ton of audio glitches while Vista does not have any problems. Odd.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.