Coffeehouse Thread

4 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Hyper-V vs VMware

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    PerfectPhase

Just got this bit of info from our VMware VAR this morning

"As of September 1st VMware are increasing its pricing across all products by an average of 10%. They say it is because of the dollar and market conditions but I think it is a bold, and somewhat clever way of saying to Microsoft, you may give away Hyper-V for nothing but our product is so superior we will prove it by increasing our price. You can make your own conclusions. "

Not sure I agree with his assessment, but it's going to be Interesting to see how this whole Hyper-V vs VMware thing plays out.  I already have an investment in ESX for production servers and IT testing and had been planning to expand this via Lab manager to our development staff.   I am now seriously back tracking and looking at building this new cluster on Hyper-V as it's cheaper, runs on more commodity hardware and as I have no need of the extra features such as V-Motion the lack of features isn't a major issue, couple that all with the fact next Virtual Machine Manager from MS will allow me to manage both VMware and Hyper-V I'm having a hard reason to find a reason to stay with VMware.

• User profile image
    Bass

I think if this kills VMWare it would be terrible. I know very good people who work at VMWare and VMWare is generally a good company to work for. Microsoft is in a position where they can kill any software company they want by their sheer numbers and economics.

• User profile image
    Sabot

Bass said:
    I think if this kills VMWare it would be terrible. I know very good people who work at VMWare and VMWare is generally a good company to work for. Microsoft is in a position where they can kill any software company they want by their sheer numbers and economics.
    1) Hyper-V isn't 'free' you will need to purchase Windows 2008.
    2) VMware Server is also 'free' well as 'free' as Hyper-V in that you will need an OS to run it ... but the OS can be Linux.
    3) ESX has two killer features VMotion and Consolidated Backup ... Hyper-V doesn't have a comparison.
    4) Don't forget Citrix (XenSource)
    5) VMware sells LabManager which is a sweet product for Developers and Testers ... however VMLogix LabManager is good competition ... HINT 2 MICROSOFT: now if there was a LabManager product that could link up to Team Foundation Server
    6) Vmware is supported by Dell, HP, IBM, Fujitsu etc etc etc ... Hyper-V isn't yet

Anymore questions for the Virtualisation Guru ? :o)

• User profile image
    sriharivmlo​gix

Sabot said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*
    1) Hyper-V isn't 'free' you will need to purchase Windows 2008.
    2) VMware Server is also 'free' well as 'free' as Hyper-V in that you will need an OS to run it ... but the OS can be Linux.
    3) ESX has two killer features VMotion and Consolidated Backup ... Hyper-V doesn't have a comparison.
    4) Don't forget Citrix (XenSource)
    5) VMware sells LabManager which is a sweet product for Developers and Testers ... however VMLogix LabManager is good competition ... HINT 2 MICROSOFT: now if there was a LabManager product that could link up to Team Foundation Server
    6) Vmware is supported by Dell, HP, IBM, Fujitsu etc etc etc ... Hyper-V isn't yet

Anymore questions for the Virtualisation Guru ? :o)
    Sabot - thank you for thinking about VMLogix LabManager.

PerfectPhase - Yesterday we announced support for Microsoft Hyper-V with VMLogix LabManager. We are a hypervisor agnostic virtual lab automation solution (and an award winning one at that!) supporting Citrix, Microsoft and VMware.

If you are interested, you can request for a free 30 day evaluation

Srihari Palangala
    http://blog.vmlogix.com

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.