Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

.NET & JDBC

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    rbilter

    Is it possible to connect to a DBMS from .NET using JDBC drivers? From what I have read about JDBC these are drivers which were created for Java but I'm being told this is possible. If anyone out there knows, would it be possible to provide some links to how this would be done.

    Thanks is advance.

  • User profile image
    figuerres

    what database?

  • User profile image
    DCMonkey
  • User profile image
    rbilter

    figuerres said:
    what database?

    DB2 on an AS/400. We have suggested using the data connector which HIS uses but we are being told that JDBC is faster and more stable.

  • User profile image
    PerfectPhase

    rbilter said:
    figuerres said:
    *snip*
    DB2 on an AS/400. We have suggested using the data connector which HIS uses but we are being told that JDBC is faster and more stable.

    Is there a reason you can't just use IBM's .Net provider for DB2

    As far as I know JDBC<->.Net involves some hackary with ODBC.

  • User profile image
    rbilter

    PerfectPhase said:
    rbilter said:
    *snip*

    Is there a reason you can't just use IBM's .Net provider for DB2

    As far as I know JDBC<->.Net involves some hackary with ODBC.
    JDBC is being pushed by people much higher in the food chain then myself for the reasons I stated above, performance and stability.

    I'm trying to prove that using what you suggested, .NET provider for DB2,  makes more sense but I need more information on how exactly .NET <-> JDBC actually works.

    I think you are correct about ODBC, I found some links that I'm investigating about a JDBC-ODBC bridge which would be needed in order to use JDBC from .NET.

  • User profile image
    figuerres

    rbilter said:
    PerfectPhase said:
    *snip*
    JDBC is being pushed by people much higher in the food chain then myself for the reasons I stated above, performance and stability.

    I'm trying to prove that using what you suggested, .NET provider for DB2,  makes more sense but I need more information on how exactly .NET <-> JDBC actually works.

    I think you are correct about ODBC, I found some links that I'm investigating about a JDBC-ODBC bridge which would be needed in order to use JDBC from .NET.

    using ODBC is not prefered / recomended for a number of reasons.

    I am amazed if IBM does not have a stable / working  .net driver.

    using ODBC means having COM Interop and probably a perfomance hit.

    it is an old tech that is not beeing updated and will be phased out in time.

    can you check with IBM support on the status of .net drivers??

    I know that native drivers for Oracle and for SQL server are much faster than ODBC for them.

  • User profile image
    figuerres

    rbilter said:
    figuerres said:
    *snip*
    DB2 on an AS/400. We have suggested using the data connector which HIS uses but we are being told that JDBC is faster and more stable.
    also you may want to check this out:

    http://www.datadirect.com/products/net/net_for_db2/index.ssp

    they have been doing database drivers for a long time.

  • User profile image
    rbilter

    figuerres said:
    rbilter said:
    *snip*

    using ODBC is not prefered / recomended for a number of reasons.

    I am amazed if IBM does not have a stable / working  .net driver.

    using ODBC means having COM Interop and probably a perfomance hit.

    it is an old tech that is not beeing updated and will be phased out in time.

    can you check with IBM support on the status of .net drivers??

    I know that native drivers for Oracle and for SQL server are much faster than ODBC for them.

    Actually someone from IBM is the one that is pushing us in the direction of JDBC to connect to our AS/400 systems from the Windows side. This would be one way for use to interop with our AS/400 systems. I've been pushing more for a web services approach which has been agreed upon as another option.

    The reason we are being directed to use JDBC over other data providers including the one provided by IBM is performance, reliability and JDBC is built on open standards. According to the IBM rep we are working with the data provider built by IBM uses ODBC.

    But from what I have read so far this is the only way this will work anyway as we would need a JDBC-ODBC bridge? in order for us to use JDBC within .NET.

    Thanks for the link you provided, I will definitely check this out.

  • User profile image
    figuerres

    rbilter said:
    figuerres said:
    *snip*
    Actually someone from IBM is the one that is pushing us in the direction of JDBC to connect to our AS/400 systems from the Windows side. This would be one way for use to interop with our AS/400 systems. I've been pushing more for a web services approach which has been agreed upon as another option.

    The reason we are being directed to use JDBC over other data providers including the one provided by IBM is performance, reliability and JDBC is built on open standards. According to the IBM rep we are working with the data provider built by IBM uses ODBC.

    But from what I have read so far this is the only way this will work anyway as we would need a JDBC-ODBC bridge? in order for us to use JDBC within .NET.

    Thanks for the link you provided, I will definitely check this out.
    My reply to IBM would be as follows:

    you know that we are developing in .net

    you want us to use JDBC to connect.

    then give us a working example to base our code from.

    it's your product, your drivers, and you are telling us what you want us to do.

    so show us how this will work, provide us with a working example.

    then they can show you how to do it and if does not work right you can tell your bosses they are the ones who created the problem.

    if they can't supply an example / prototype of this then they are full of it and that will make them stop.
    if they can supply the sample then you do not have to spend time huning for one.

    or as they say "put up or shut up"  Smiley

  • User profile image
    DCMonkey

    rbilter said:
    figuerres said:
    *snip*
    Actually someone from IBM is the one that is pushing us in the direction of JDBC to connect to our AS/400 systems from the Windows side. This would be one way for use to interop with our AS/400 systems. I've been pushing more for a web services approach which has been agreed upon as another option.

    The reason we are being directed to use JDBC over other data providers including the one provided by IBM is performance, reliability and JDBC is built on open standards. According to the IBM rep we are working with the data provider built by IBM uses ODBC.

    But from what I have read so far this is the only way this will work anyway as we would need a JDBC-ODBC bridge? in order for us to use JDBC within .NET.

    Thanks for the link you provided, I will definitely check this out.

    http://codemesh.com/products/juggernet/index.html

    http://www.codemesh.com/products/juggernet/examples/jdbc.html

  • User profile image
    rbilter

    figuerres said:
    rbilter said:
    *snip*
    My reply to IBM would be as follows:

    you know that we are developing in .net

    you want us to use JDBC to connect.

    then give us a working example to base our code from.

    it's your product, your drivers, and you are telling us what you want us to do.

    so show us how this will work, provide us with a working example.

    then they can show you how to do it and if does not work right you can tell your bosses they are the ones who created the problem.

    if they can't supply an example / prototype of this then they are full of it and that will make them stop.
    if they can supply the sample then you do not have to spend time huning for one.

    or as they say "put up or shut up"  Smiley
    We had another meeting with the IBM folks and I actually got them to admin JDBC may not be the best solution for a .NET shop so we are going to look at some of the .NET data connectors.

    Thanks for all of your responses!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.