Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Microsoft's Annual Revenue Reaches $60 Billion

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    eagle

Microsoft Corp. today announced revenue of $15.84 billion for the fiscal fourth quarter ended June 30, 2008, an 18% increase over the same period of the prior year. Operating income and diluted earnings per share for the quarter were $5.68 billion and $0.46, representing growth of 42% and 48%, respectively, over the same period of the prior year.

• User profile image
    BitFlipper

Funny, if you go to ZDNet etc, it sounds like MS is doing badly.  Amazing how those anti-MS sites can spin this into something bad.

• User profile image
    Dovella

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

I want a piece of that pie Big Smile

• User profile image
    Ray7

BitFlipper said:
    Funny, if you go to ZDNet etc, it sounds like MS is doing badly.  Amazing how those anti-MS sites can spin this into something bad.
    You're right, but I think they're touching on the long term prospects for further growth.

Year after year, MS's revenues come from pretty much the same source; the increasingly costly Windows and Office licenses.

This year, we have Apple moving up to No.3 in US PC sales (though US PC sales are not as significant as they used to be.)

We have the Wii now outselling the XBox.

We still don't seem to have any other divisions in MS making a significant profit.

MS seems unable to come up with a strategy to match Google in search and ad revenue.

MS can probably carry on for decades just pushing licenses for Windows and Office, but let's face it ... it's not new and it's not very exciting; they've been doing the same thing for the last fifteen years.

Whether we like it or not, Apple generates interest which translates to space on the IT web pages.

• User profile image
    Dovella

Ray7 said:
    BitFlipper said:
    *snip*
    You're right, but I think they're touching on the long term prospects for further growth.

Year after year, MS's revenues come from pretty much the same source; the increasingly costly Windows and Office licenses.

This year, we have Apple moving up to No.3 in US PC sales (though US PC sales are not as significant as they used to be.)

We have the Wii now outselling the XBox.

We still don't seem to have any other divisions in MS making a significant profit.

MS seems unable to come up with a strategy to match Google in search and ad revenue.

MS can probably carry on for decades just pushing licenses for Windows and Office, but let's face it ... it's not new and it's not very exciting; they've been doing the same thing for the last fifteen years.

Whether we like it or not, Apple generates interest which translates to space on the IT web pages.

Nintendo is coming to an end petrol.

Zelda, Mario Galaxy, Mario Striker, Mario kart, Smash Browl,Metroid  etc . is out   , and now??

Nintendo has secular brand , I love Nintendo games and I have them all , once over the host brand the Wii remains a beautiful relic in my wardrobe.

on the contrary nintendo DS is the real product guessed, and sales of the Wii are more driven from their DS.

Next nintendo DS?  Game cube hardware, 2 multitouch screen, and sensor movement  + recycling Wii games and game cube .

Apple? 

Apple Vs microsoft remember   290 M  vs 10 m

Google??

stay tuned!!

• User profile image
    K0ogle

Dovella said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*
    Nintendo is coming to an end petrol.

Zelda, Mario Galaxy, Mario Striker, Mario kart, Smash Browl,Metroid  etc . is out   , and now??

Nintendo has secular brand , I love Nintendo games and I have them all , once over the host brand the Wii remains a beautiful relic in my wardrobe.

on the contrary nintendo DS is the real product guessed, and sales of the Wii are more driven from their DS.

Next nintendo DS?  Game cube hardware, 2 multitouch screen, and sensor movement  + recycling Wii games and game cube .

Apple? 

Apple Vs microsoft remember   290 M  vs 10 m

Google??

stay tuned!!

I wonder what the percentage of that is Vista sales Tongue Out pfff not a lot, at least I hope not it doesn't deserve good sales overal.. be better to buy a cheap xp license and a few good addons/smaller software to make up for the shity lackluster areas of a Windows OS.. (pss vista explorer, what a joke)

• User profile image
    phreaks

Yet, even with that news and coupled with the fact that all the major analysts gave MSFT a 5 or 4 star rating, stock prices still fell %6.

More drama driven by the US governement.

Thanks, Uncle Sam for having a heavy hand in completely ruining my economic viability in all areas.

• User profile image
    Bass

phreaks said:
    Yet, even with that news and coupled with the fact that all the major analysts gave MSFT a 5 or 4 star rating, stock prices still fell %6.

More drama driven by the US governement.

Thanks, Uncle Sam for having a heavy hand in completely ruining my economic viability in all areas.
    The stock dropped because they failed to meet the revenue goals set by the major investment banks. Google stock also crashed for much the same reason.

• User profile image
    phreaks

Bass said:
    phreaks said:
    *snip*
    The stock dropped because they failed to meet the revenue goals set by the major investment banks. Google stock also crashed for much the same reason.

Yeah, that has something to do with it, but it wouldn't have fallen 6% on the same news if the markets weren't in the condition that they currently are.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.