Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

MSDN & Expression 2?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    phreaks

Why are all the Expression 2 SKU's disabled when I login to MSDN subscriber downloads?

I have a "VS Professional with MSDN Professional" subscription.

Is MS really not going to make the Blend product available for Professional subscriptions, because when the MS sales person sold me on the "professional" subscription, they stated that the professional subscription would include all the developer tools, and clearly if they are not including Expression, then that was a lie.

Can someone please clarify this for me?

MSDN Concierge said:

AgentAlvin W
    Sorry, Jason. I am afraid Expression Blend 2 is not available for the Visual Studio Professional with MSDN Professional subscription. For the detail information, we can refer to the following website:
    Compare MSDN Subscriptions
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/aa718657.aspx

Thats is really pretty lame, nice way to convince people to develop for silverlight / WPF and not Flash / Flex.

Outstanding.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Expression is a "Designer" product, not a "Developer Tool", so I guess that's why.

VS2008 is pretty much a superset of Expression Web, which I can understand, but they should put the other Expression tools out for developers.

• User profile image
    figuerres

I agree  MSFT should hand out the full set of tools to any developer who wants them at this time. make some kind of "signup for free stuff"  deal.  for SL to make a good showing and get market share they need to make it easy and cheap for at least another year or two.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

Yeah it's pretty lame, but at least you can get Expression Studio now for the $349 upgrade price if you own any of the following:

• Adobe Creative Suite - any version
  • Adobe/Macromedia Flash or Director - any version
  • Visual Studio® w/MSDN Subscription
  • CorelDraw X3, X4
  • User profile image
    stevo_

I was a little gutted to when I finally sorted out an MSDN again at work a couple of months back, the upgrade thing is nice but that $349 becomes £349, which is pretty much twice as much.. would really love blend to be put on msdn proat least Sad

• User profile image
    Pace

stevo_ said:
    I was a little gutted to when I finally sorted out an MSDN again at work a couple of months back, the upgrade thing is nice but that $349 becomes £349, which is pretty much twice as much.. would really love blend to be put on msdn proat least Sad
    yeah me too.

Good point that its a designer tool. However, I cant play with it or make any demo's. So I have no clought to push for this as a new toolset.

Couldnt we have an express?

• User profile image
    alexmac

Pace said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*
    yeah me too.

Good point that its a designer tool. However, I cant play with it or make any demo's. So I have no clought to push for this as a new toolset.

Couldnt we have an express?

Yeah I agree Blend should be included with MSDN professional. I would have thought they want as many people as possible to get involved with WPF & Silverlight.

WPF & Silverlight support in VS2008 is pretty basic at the mo so I am a bit reliant on mocking up stuff in Blend.

• User profile image
    wisemx

I do think we'll see more attractive bundles in the near future.
    For my own I bought VS2008 Pro after Expression Studio 1, was still using VS2005 Pro at that time.
    Then Microsoft offered the free upgrade to Expression Studio 2, which came with VS2008 Standard.
    The one remaining question is how will SQL Server 2008 Developer make it out to VS2008 Pro owners.

By the way, you guys who have VS2008 and Expression Web v2...
    Which of the CSS designers do you like the best?

(This is for feedback to the Expression team.)

• Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.