Coffeehouse Thread

19 posts

Craziest eBay auction you have seen?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    vvjoe2002

so i was searching around on eBay just looking at random stuff and I came across this random auction.  What I'm wondering is...  Do you guys think that something like this is actually realistic?  Or do you think that is way too much money to ask?  I actually think that something like this still may be possible, you see things like this in the news every once in a while?  Also, what is the craziest or most expensive weird eBay auction that you have came across, or actually been a part of?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300242385013&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=020

Why can't I do something like this?  This person will probably make a ton of money just from sitting around and doing nothing.  You think?

• User profile image
    Bas

Craziest eBay auction I've ever seen was a couple of weeks ago, for a selection of Bill Cosby's sweaters, worn on the Cosby Show. With a certificate of authenticity.

And they were out of my budget. Dang!

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

Bas said:
    Craziest eBay auction I've ever seen was a couple of weeks ago, for a selection of Bill Cosby's sweaters, worn on the Cosby Show. With a certificate of authenticity.

And they were out of my budget. Dang!
    Any eBay auction is crazy. Just hate them.

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

The craziest I've seen is when my brother sold his Ultimate Online account for $400. Smiley

• User profile image
    Pace

Sven Groot said:
    The craziest I've seen is when my brother sold his Ultimate Online account for $400. Smiley
    One of the devs here sold a * shaped walkers crisp for about 40 quid ($80ish)

Link to article

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

Pace said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*
    One of the devs here sold a * shaped walkers crisp for about 40 quid ($80ish)

Link to article
    You cant say p3nis on Channel9, it's a dirty word!

• User profile image
    Pace

Maddus Mattus said:
    Pace said:
    *snip*
    You cant say p3nis on Channel9, it's a dirty word!
    lol I noticed, ive been *'d!

• User profile image
    Bas

BlackTiger said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

Yes, because buying second hand books and stuff is the craziest thing ever.

• User profile image
    K0ogle

Bas said:
    BlackTiger said:
    *snip*
    Yes, because buying second hand books and stuff is the craziest thing ever.
    ebay and fking feepal area a pile of stinking sh/t!  Avoid! as a Seller and Buyer tbh

sorry off topic Smiley

• User profile image
    BitFlipper

I have not personally seen this one, but I have heard of the following (anyone know any more info about it, and whether it is even true or not?):

In one of those movies like "Red October", or whatever, where they used submarines, a submarine was restored to its original state. After the movie, the submarine was eventually auctioned off on eBay. 

I often wondered what the shipping cost on that would have been...

• User profile image
    Pace

BitFlipper said:
    I have not personally seen this one, but I have heard of the following (anyone know any more info about it, and whether it is even true or not?):

In one of those movies like "Red October", or whatever, where they used submarines, a submarine was restored to its original state. After the movie, the submarine was eventually auctioned off on eBay. 

Never mind the shipping cost... where ya gonne keep it ?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

BitFlipper said:

I did once hear of a submarine being auctioned, no idea whether it was tied to Hunt for Red October though.

In a similar category, a real aircraft carrier was once put up for auction on eBay too, with a starting bid of $10,000,000 if I recall correctly (no idea if it was sold and if so for how much).

EDIT: Didn't some guy also once try to sell his children on eBay?

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

BlackTiger said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

A large part of my DVD collection (currently at 125 titles) was purchased via eBay. I got some pretty good deals. What's there to hate?

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

TommyCarlier said:
    BlackTiger said:
    *snip*
    A large part of my DVD collection (currently at 125 titles) was purchased via eBay. I got some pretty good deals. What's there to hate?
    I extremely hate stupid annoying "bidding bots"!
    This feature makes me very angry.
    It's NOT FAIR. Bidding MUST TO BE manual!

Just today... I've tried to "buy" Apple iMac G4 ("sunflower")... Placing a bid and getting IMMIDIATELY "Congratulations!... You're just outbidded by 2 quid!" It reminds me stupid pathetic moronic TV show like "2+2=?"...

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    TommyCarlier

BlackTiger said:
    TommyCarlier said:
    *snip*

Just today... I've tried to "buy" Apple iMac G4 ("sunflower")... Placing a bid and getting IMMIDIATELY "Congratulations!... You're just outbidded by 2 quid!" It reminds me stupid pathetic moronic TV show like "2+2=?"...
    You're right that bidding bots can be annoying. But that's just a small problem. I've only encountered this problem only once. My reaction: better luck next time. When I bid on a regular DVD, I start with a maximum bid of €20 and I almost always win the bid and usually only pay a few euros.

• User profile image
    BitFlipper

BlackTiger said:
    TommyCarlier said:
    *snip*

I never bid on eBay.  If an item does not have a "Buy Now" option, or the Buy Now amount is too high for me, I just move on to the next item.  Much easier.  You never have to wonder whether you are actually going to end up with the item or not (wasted time if you didn't get it - time is money).  And with Buy Now, the deal is done, so no waiting for the aution to time out.  Seriously, way less stress.

BitFlipper

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

BitFlipper said:

There was a sub the K-77 which went up for auction on ebay twice, but never sold but was later brought by a film company and used in the movie K-19.

• User profile image
    Bas

BlackTiger said:
    TommyCarlier said:
    *snip*

That's not because of a bidding bot. That means the other guy just had a higher maximum bid. If the current bid is $50, and the current high bidder has a maximum bid of $100, and you bid $70, that means the current bid gets raised to $70, and then, say, two more dollars. Because the other guy was just willing to pay more (up to $100 in this case.) Had you bid $101, you would've been the high bidder.

There's no point in using a bidding bot on eBay. You just set the maximum amount you want to pay for the item and whenever someone else bids, eBay keeps upping your bid until you reach your max.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.