Coffeehouse Thread

4 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Update Takes Windows Live Calendar Beta to the Next Level

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Dovella

Windows Live Calendar beta update with birthday, holiday, ical calendars and more

The Windows Live Calendar team has been working hard the last few months on a cool update to the Windows Live Calendar beta. After many more bowls of udon noodles, lots of lattes and many late nights …we’re live! Everyone on our team is fired up about the release and we’re looking forward to your feedback. Give Windows Live Calendar beta a try by clicking the calendar tab in your Hotmail account or by going directly to http://calendar.live.com/">http://calendar.live.com if you haven’t done so already. New coolness delivered in this update includes:

1. Birthday Calendars that automatically create events and reminders for your contacts’ birthdays. (Make sure to add birthdays to your contacts. Add the birthday to your own profile, too: http://spaces.live.com/profile.aspx?action=edit&mode=activecontacts. That way others who subscribe to your contact update will get a reminder about your own birthday!)
    2. iCal Subscriptions that allow you to show calendars that update automatically from around the web. (This will be up and running very shortly!)
    3. Holiday Calendars that are automatically added to your account depending on what country you’re in. Many more are coming, but in this update, there are holidays for: China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Korea, Indonesia, Philippines, India, Russia, France, the United States, Spain, German and the United Kingdom
    4. A number of user interface changes including the ability to right click on calendars in the calendar list and to reorder that list
    5. Improvements to accessibility functionality, including better tabbing and F6 key support
    6. Additional print views that allow you to print from the day, week and month views
    7. The ability to directly connect to the Windows Live Calendar beta via the calendar tab in Windows Live Hotmail
    8. Vikram S., one of our dev leads, says that we shouldn’t add any more to this list as it will look like we’re trying to squeeze juice from a rock!

We’re already busy working on our next beta update and look forward to sharing more when we’re ready to release it.

The Windows Live Calendar Team

Link

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Impressive, except that most of that has been in Outlook for years. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Bas

Windows Experience Blog said:

Windows Live Calendar and this first beta release is just step one of the Windows Live calendar story that will be improving over time.

I see your point about being unable to create a new appointment in Windows Calendar and have it sync with Windows Live Calendar. Truthfully based on my experience - I tend to spend time on Windows Live Calendar adding events and what not. I use Windows Calendar for the reminder mechanism and quick look access to my events.

Again - let me stress this - Windows Live Calendar's first beta is just the first step in an overall calendaring effort for Windows Live.

[...]

I highly doubt the Windows Live Calendar Team will leave us in the lurch until version 3.0 two years away Wink

And still no such feature. Smiley Very SaaS, guys.

I guess the interface changes are good. Didn't we already have iCal subscriptions?

• User profile image
    wisemx

I like it. Smiley

• Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.