Coffeehouse Thread

38 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Can we have the old forum back please ....?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ray7

Y'know, the much-maligned, universally-hated, faster one that worked?

Seriously, this thing is buggy as hell ....

When I hit the add button, it's anybody's guess what will happen next.

• User profile image
    Ray7

Ray7 said:

When I hit the add button, it's anybody's guess what will happen next.

Oh ... it added the post .... this time.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Ray7 said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*

Oh ... it added the post .... this time.
    User#Ray? 
    User=Ray7.

IMHO, C9v4 == Vista.  At first it was so buggy and slow it was totally unusable... But they kept patching and patching, and even released a major revision or two.  Eventually it's gotten to the point where I don't mind it.  I'm sure that with a little more work, it'll be downright awesome.  Just like Vista... finally... over a year later (Not counting the near-decade in Dev).  Good things take time.

However, they do need to work on the speed of their INSERT queries, or make the page wait longer after a comment add.  Kinda sucks when you click 'Add' and the screen refreshes, but you have to hit F5 to see your post.

• User profile image
    La Bomba

SlackmasterK said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*
    User#Ray? 
    User=Ray7.

IMHO, C9v4 == Vista.  At first it was so buggy and slow it was totally unusable... But they kept patching and patching, and even released a major revision or two.  Eventually it's gotten to the point where I don't mind it.  I'm sure that with a little more work, it'll be downright awesome.  Just like Vista... finally... over a year later (Not counting the near-decade in Dev).  Good things take time.

However, they do need to work on the speed of their INSERT queries, or make the page wait longer after a comment add.  Kinda sucks when you click 'Add' and the screen refreshes, but you have to hit F5 to see your post.
    Wtf is up with insistence on using Live ID? Why can't it just be a simple login not tied in to a service, frikin' pain having to switch Live ID's just to sign in to the site...

It requires more work to participate in the forums in V4, a lot more patience is required. v3 was tolerable, still used to check out the coffeehouse everday, but not anymore with v4.

Site is slow now, pages don't update quickly, edits don't show up. No fonts, no quoting,

whatever...

• User profile image
    jamie

if only it were ..that...simple.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

La Bomba said:
    SlackmasterK said:
    *snip*
    Wtf is up with insistence on using Live ID? Why can't it just be a simple login not tied in to a service, frikin' pain having to switch Live ID's just to sign in to the site...

It requires more work to participate in the forums in V4, a lot more patience is required. v3 was tolerable, still used to check out the coffeehouse everday, but not anymore with v4.

Site is slow now, pages don't update quickly, edits don't show up. No fonts, no quoting,

whatever...
    La Bomba said:
    no quoting

Eh?

• User profile image
    Ray7

SlackmasterK said:

User#Ray? 
    User=Ray7.

Yes, I should have changed it, but I really wasn't in the mood to fight the forum over it ....

Fixed now.

• User profile image
    La Bomba

CannotResolveSymbol said:
    La Bomba said:
    *snip*

Eh?
    That's bull, you have to put in more work than before to get a basic forum feature like quoting to work.

• User profile image
    stevo_

La Bomba said:
    *snip*
    That's bull, you have to put in more work than before to get a basic forum feature like quoting to work.

The ajax experience for posting is horrible.. majority of posts I've done either:

Don't tell me they posted
    Take ages to realize
    Don't show up until I re-enter the thread

• User profile image
    La Bomba

stevo_ said:
    La Bomba said:
    *snip*
    The ajax experience for posting is horrible.. majority of posts I've done either:

Don't tell me they posted
    Take ages to realize
    Don't show up until I re-enter the thread
    I've come to conclusion this forum is fuxxored up, performance and feature wise.

Devs are probably in a meeting though right now working hard, deciding whether or not to give the 9 Guy a moustache or not...you know something important like that.

Quoting and being able to edit posts, and clicking 'Reply' a thousand times but nothing happening is not important to making a great forum.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

La Bomba said:
    *snip*

La Bomba said:

[ quote user=[username] ]....[/quote]

Not good enough? It's the same syntax as in v3, just there's no button that automatically inserts it.

• User profile image
    turrican

+1 , yes please. This new version sucks. Actually, I suggest lets just use a phpBB forum. I don't know why the guys who created C9 forum never even looked at phpBB, they could learn so much from it.

• User profile image
    Bass

turrican said:
    +1 , yes please. This new version sucks. Actually, I suggest lets just use a phpBB forum. I don't know why the guys who created C9 forum never even looked at phpBB, they could learn so much from it.
    PHP and PHPBB is "not invented here™". Plus it's an open sores software running on an open sores framework typically on the open sores Linsux operating system. Remember this is the website of the glorious leader in software developments.

So we are pretty much stuck with this crap, errr I mean, amazing Web 2.0 technology, instead.

• User profile image
    Ray7

La Bomba said:

True on all points, apart from the quoting; that does work.

The thing to remember is that you have to set the radio button on the edit window,  to 'Reply to root'. Otherwise, it doesn't work.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Ray7 said:
    La Bomba said:
    *snip*

True on all points, apart from the quoting; that does work.

The thing to remember is that you have to set the radio button on the edit window,  to 'Reply to root'. Otherwise, it doesn't work.
    Ray7 said:

Really? Wink ...

• User profile image
    Ray7

littleguru said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*

Really? Wink ...
    littleguru said:

Really? Wink ...

Apparently not.

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

Eah, the new version is... not perfect... Far from perfect... It actually sucks. Sorry.
    AJAX is not as perfect as advertised on every street corner.

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    littleguru

Ray7 said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*

Apparently not.

Hehe Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.