Coffeehouse Thread

53 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

WHS: The honeymoon is over ....

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ray7

Well, that didn't last. 

Installed at my house, behaves for a month, then goes completely off the rails; the server is now called 'HeatherMills'

Fortunately, I'm paranoid, so I regularly open the backups to make sure that I can mount them. Tried this other day, and WHS reaches 79%, then chokes. I try again. It reaches 79% then gives up again.

Off to the internet, and as it turns out, quite a few other people are having the same problem. Seems that Windows Home Server has trouble mounting hard disks over 250GB in size ....

WHAT THE F...!!!

Well, I understand that things are tight at MS, with barely enough profit made this year to refit the washrooms, but how the hell did they manage to release a product that doesn't work with big disks? Are large hard disks unusual or something?

• User profile image
    Erisan

WHS team - "8G ought to be enough for anybody"

Ok ok, not funny. Sorry I was a bit bored ...

• User profile image
    Bas

That's weird, I have two 500GB disks in mine and my backups restore just fine.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Bas said:
    That's weird, I have two 500GB disks in mine and my backups restore just fine.
    Same here.

You could email Charlie Kindel; he's the PM and see what's up.

Alternatively the power pack is due "real soon now" (he tweeted that they had their RTM party)

• User profile image
    dahat

What version of WHS are you running? Pre-Power Pack 1 or a beta of it?

PP1 fixes a number of issues related to crashing around 79% when doing a single file restore and if you haven't already tried the beta I'd encourage it... otherwise you can wait a bit until the final PP1 bits which are... coming.

If you are running some version of Power Pack one I'd suggest installing the updated toolkit and run Talq on the client and server and email me with the cab #'s (my addy is FirstName.LastName@microsoft.com where my name is Brendan Grant) and I'll make sure they get to the person responsible for backup.

• User profile image
    Ray7

dahat said:

What version of WHS are you running? Pre-Power Pack 1 or a beta of it?

PP1 fixes a number of issues related to crashing around 79% when doing a single file restore and if you haven't already tried the beta I'd encourage it... otherwise you can wait a bit until the final PP1 bits which are... coming.

If you are running some version of Power Pack one I'd suggest installing the updated toolkit and run Talq on the client and server and email me with the cab #'s (my addy is FirstName.LastName@microsoft.com where my name is Brendan Grant) and I'll make sure they get to the person responsible for backup.

No, I'm just running a plain vanilla WHS (Pre-PP1) and with the luck of been having with MS betas of late, I think I'll wait until the thing is released and been up and see how other folk are finding it.

In the meantime, I can switch back to the old NAS box lying underneath HeatherMills.

• User profile image
    dahat

Ray7 said:
    dahat said:
    *snip*
    No, I'm just running a plain vanilla WHS (Pre-PP1) and with the luck of been having with MS betas of late, I think I'll wait until the thing is released and been up and see how other folk are finding it.

In the meantime, I can switch back to the old NAS box lying underneath HeatherMills.

I understand. I would bet good money though that even though you are failing ~79% during a single file restore… if you were to throw a clean HD into your system you'd be able to successfully be able to do a bare metal restore... so you are still protected, just not as accessible as we'd like (I've been bit by issues @ 79% prior to moving to PP1.

I'll be very eager to hear if Power Pack 1 resolves this issue, please do let me know either here or via email.

• User profile image
    Ray7

dahat said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*

I understand. I would bet good money though that even though you are failing ~79% during a single file restore… if you were to throw a clean HD into your system you'd be able to successfully be able to do a bare metal restore... so you are still protected, just not as accessible as we'd like (I've been bit by issues @ 79% prior to moving to PP1.

I'll be very eager to hear if Power Pack 1 resolves this issue, please do let me know either here or via email.

Yep, no problem.

I'll leave a note on HeatherMills with your address on it.

Will PP1 be an automatic update? Any idea when it's going to land?

• User profile image
    La Bomba

Ray7 said:
    dahat said:
    *snip*
    Yep, no problem.

I'll leave a note on HeatherMills with your address on it.

Will PP1 be an automatic update? Any idea when it's going to land?

lol @ heathermills

• User profile image
    androidi

I feel kind of bad that MS had all this trouble with WHS. When I first heard about it I thought it was cool that MS was finally doing something (new at low level of OS) FIRST in the consumer space rather than the usual approach of introduce something in Windows Server then have Fortune 500 beta test it and then offer it for (bug) free in the next Windows for consumers. Or something to that effect.

If I were really cynical and evil I might dream up something like MS managers thinking that this new low level file system feature is very risky tech and can't really risk critical business user data on this one so lets have the first run with this new tech in the consumer space. :twisted:

• User profile image
    dahat
  • User profile image
    Bas

dahat said:

Awesome! Do we need to uninstall the beta? And how?

• User profile image
    AndyC

Bas said:
    dahat said:
    *snip*

Awesome! Do we need to uninstall the beta? And how?

Yes, you need to uninstall the beta. Instructions are given on the MSFT downloads page.

• User profile image
    Bas

AndyC said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*
    Yes, you need to uninstall the beta. Instructions are given on the MSFT downloads page.
    Sigh. I always forget to check that 'Show Updates' box. Thanks!

• User profile image
    blowdart

Huh. So where's the backup to external drive functionality that was promised?

• User profile image
    blowdart

Still an issue;

Opening a backup may stop at 79%

You may not be able to open some backups to restore individual files, as opening the backup may stop at 79% and not continue. However, you may still be able to restore your entire home computer using the backup.

• User profile image
    blowdart

OK so really not impressed with the outstanding issues list; this took how long and still backups fail to open, the backup of devices on UPSes may fail and it still doesn't tell you if the server is out of space during a backup?

Really, WTF?

• User profile image
    Bas

blowdart said:
    OK so really not impressed with the outstanding issues list; this took how long and still backups fail to open, the backup of devices on UPSes may fail and it still doesn't tell you if the server is out of space during a backup?

Really, WTF?

Yeah, this isn't exactly feeling like I'm getting my money's worth, guys. What's up?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.