Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

"You need this piece of software to get that piece of software."

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Bas

So, slightly in the same vein of the whole iTunes/MobileMe thing, and at the risk of igniting another "Adobe is evil!!!" discussion, why on earth do I need to install the Adobe Download Manager addon just to get the Adobe Reader?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

It does resumable downloads. I suppose it's for the benefit of people on dialup really (yes, they do exist).

You can download Acrobat Reader without the Download Manager if you hunt around Adobe's site, but I've got a better idea: Use Foxit instead.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

You don't, at least not on Firefox.  It prompts you to install the addon, but if you don't allow it, you can click the "click here to download" link to get a regular download.

• User profile image
    stevo_

Adobe are pretty intrusive I think, flash, reader, yadda yadda - all have their own updaters running constantly.. the flash one is really obnoxious in that it pops up on your desktop in a gigantic window, and tells you theres an update for flash.. yes thats right, theres an update for flash - you know, that little plugin for when you browse onto a website that might use flash..

Not flash, the core most crucial part of your operating system that you just must know needs an update asap..

I don't like adobe, and flash is a pile of crap anyway while we're at it..

• User profile image
    zian

stevo_ said:
    Adobe are pretty intrusive I think, flash, reader, yadda yadda - all have their own updaters running constantly.. the flash one is really obnoxious in that it pops up on your desktop in a gigantic window, and tells you theres an update for flash.. yes thats right, theres an update for flash - you know, that little plugin for when you browse onto a website that might use flash..

Not flash, the core most crucial part of your operating system that you just must know needs an update asap..

I would think that companies would be better off letting Secunia handle those updates anyway, because Secunia takes care of most (or almost all?) of the programs whereas if each company had a little background updating program, our computers would grind to a halt.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

You learn to live with it...

Windows Update / Microsoft Update
    Windows Installer 3
    MSXML
    .NET Framework  (Well, okay, i guess we kinda need that one anyway)
    Internet Explorer (How else you gonna get it?)

There's a line there... it's just a matter of where you draw that line.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

stevo_ said:

++

• User profile image
    Harlequin

SlackmasterK said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*
    ++
    I just updated Java and the install from Sun recommended I also download OpenOffice.....sad.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Harlequin said:
    SlackmasterK said:
    *snip*
    I just updated Java and the install from Sun recommended I also download OpenOffice.....sad.
    Not only does it recommend that you install OpenOffice (thankfully, you're not downloading it along with the Java update, though), Java update tries to push the Yahoo toolbar on you.  Frustrating.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.