Coffeehouse Thread

30 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

any Iphone user?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Dovella

    My friend must buy a new phone and asked me for advice  ,

    I have recommended ">http://www.samsung.com/it/consumer/detail/detail.do%3Fgroup%3Dmobilephone%26type%3Dmobilephone%26subtype%3Domnia%26model_cd%3DSGH-I900DABXTC%26cid%3Dgoogle_cell_omnia"> Omnia, but he first wants to be sure that iphone can do what I asked for


    the iPhone can do this..

    Here is the list

    The videocalling ?
    Cut / Copy / Paste are there?
    The MMS?
    The voice recorder?
    The movies can not be done?
     The Radio?
    The memory can be expanded?
    Bluetooth is? (or just for headphones?)
    The battery can replace?
    THE S.O. is a multitask? (eye exceptions)
    Can I download from the Internet? (not just pictures? ..)
    Can I attach to e-mail?
    The support java exist?
    Support Flash now?
    Can I use my cellphone as a modem for my notebook ?
    The camera has a flash?
    The camera has an autofocus?
    The camera is stabilized?
    Can grardare DivX movies / Xvid?
    Advanced search on Heading Contacts?
    Reporting characters on SMS? (careful not to send SMS to 2 mistake ...)
    SMS, I can erase 1 or 2? (incredible, if I have to delete all or nothing)
    Explorer for the contents of the cell?
    Mouse?
    Feedback tactile?
    Can connect  easily to a PC (without Itunes) ?
    Can I edit Word, Exel ?

    Many THX!

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    So you've setup a list you already know it can't do some of? Why exactly?

    Amusingly of course some of those Windows mobile doesn't do either.

  • User profile image
    Dovella

    blowdart said:
    So you've setup a list you already know it can't do some of? Why exactly?

    Amusingly of course some of those Windows mobile doesn't do either.
    I did not detail the characteristics of 'iphone 3G
    I asked for this to you.

    Whereas you re so kind, you can also say I can not do what Samsung Omnia with windows mobile 6.1 from this list

    THX

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    Dovella said:
    blowdart said:
    *snip*
    I did not detail the characteristics of 'iphone 3G
    I asked for this to you.

    Whereas you re so kind, you can also say I can not do what Samsung Omnia with windows mobile 6.1 from this list

    THX
    Lets see.

    Memory cannot be expanded. Storage however can.
    You can't use it as a modem (as a dialup device). That was removed from WM6. Instead it appears as an internet gateway. Sometimes. If you use the cable.

    What does "The S.O. is a multitask" anyway.

    But at the end of the day (setting your fanatical I hate apple, so I'll make up a list that the iPhone will fail and then I WILL WIN list) the touch interfaces on top of WM suck right now (he says with am HTC touchflo thingy that I just don't use because it's so bad); WM is flakey and hangs and is slow (but so's the iPhone), you need ActiveSync or Vista (not iTunes, and forget about syncing to a Mac without 3rd party software) and even then the connection is often buggy and needs reboots, especially when you're connected to an Exchange server, mouse support isn't there at all, and WM has very few bluetooth profiles.

  • User profile image
    ZippyV

    Dovella said:
    blowdart said:
    *snip*
    I did not detail the characteristics of 'iphone 3G
    I asked for this to you.

    Whereas you re so kind, you can also say I can not do what Samsung Omnia with windows mobile 6.1 from this list

    THX
    Decent Flash support is not available on any mobile device.

  • User profile image
    littleguru

    blowdart said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*
    Lets see.

    Memory cannot be expanded. Storage however can.
    You can't use it as a modem (as a dialup device). That was removed from WM6. Instead it appears as an internet gateway. Sometimes. If you use the cable.

    What does "The S.O. is a multitask" anyway.

    But at the end of the day (setting your fanatical I hate apple, so I'll make up a list that the iPhone will fail and then I WILL WIN list) the touch interfaces on top of WM suck right now (he says with am HTC touchflo thingy that I just don't use because it's so bad); WM is flakey and hangs and is slow (but so's the iPhone), you need ActiveSync or Vista (not iTunes, and forget about syncing to a Mac without 3rd party software) and even then the connection is often buggy and needs reboots, especially when you're connected to an Exchange server, mouse support isn't there at all, and WM has very few bluetooth profiles.
    What do you find so bad about the HTC TouchFlow? I find it snappy and very well done.

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    littleguru said:
    blowdart said:
    *snip*
    What do you find so bad about the HTC TouchFlow? I find it snappy and very well done.
    It just doesn't feel natural; I dunno, I can't pinpoint it. There seem to be a lot of complaints about the diamond as well.

    Maybe I just need more time with it *shrug*

  • User profile image
    ZippyV

    littleguru said:
    blowdart said:
    *snip*
    What do you find so bad about the HTC TouchFlow? I find it snappy and very well done.
    Well, even with the latest version I find that the TouchFlo menu sometimes doesn't respond at all. In the evening I switch it to "Airplane mode" to shut down all the wireless connections and then in the morning I put it back on but the menu doesn't respond.

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    Oh and it we're going along the root of choosing things that the other phone can't do.

    Update itself easily. ROM updates are painful when you buy from the network with Windows Mobile; HTC and others don't produce generic updates for network locked phones.

  • User profile image
    littleguru

    ZippyV said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*
    Well, even with the latest version I find that the TouchFlo menu sometimes doesn't respond at all. In the evening I switch it to "Airplane mode" to shut down all the wireless connections and then in the morning I put it back on but the menu doesn't respond.
    I found that too... It has to do with the wireless (WI-FI) device trying to connect.

  • User profile image
    La Bomba

    Hey Dovella, you know you are not going to recommend iPhone to your friend, unless you really hate the friend. 

    Don't waste time making more threads.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    blowdart said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*
    Lets see.

    Memory cannot be expanded. Storage however can.
    You can't use it as a modem (as a dialup device). That was removed from WM6. Instead it appears as an internet gateway. Sometimes. If you use the cable.

    What does "The S.O. is a multitask" anyway.

    But at the end of the day (setting your fanatical I hate apple, so I'll make up a list that the iPhone will fail and then I WILL WIN list) the touch interfaces on top of WM suck right now (he says with am HTC touchflo thingy that I just don't use because it's so bad); WM is flakey and hangs and is slow (but so's the iPhone), you need ActiveSync or Vista (not iTunes, and forget about syncing to a Mac without 3rd party software) and even then the connection is often buggy and needs reboots, especially when you're connected to an Exchange server, mouse support isn't there at all, and WM has very few bluetooth profiles.
    Windows Mobile is essentially a composite of a series of patches on a GUI made to a very basic shell on top of the CE kernel originally developed in the late 1990s for PocketPC2000 / CE3.... which itself was a series of superficial (but at least consistent) changes on top of CE2.

    So it's no wonder it's so broken as they try to hack on feeble attempts of appearing "modern" when compared to platforms that were built from scratch for the modern form-factor, such as the iPhone (its featureset might not be so good, but what matters is the execution of the features it does have).

    The CE kernel is fine, it's a nice real-time OS with a lot going for it; Windows Mobile, however, is doomed a slow and painful death by a thousand patches. It's been nearly 10 years now and they should start anew... with proper hardware mandates, like 800Mhz minimum processor speed, 24-hour constant use battery life, and Nvidia GoForce GPU.

  • User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

    La Bomba said:
    Hey Dovella, you know you are not going to recommend iPhone to your friend, unless you really hate the friend. 

    Don't waste time making more threads.
    Of course the friend is really he himself, he's in kind of strange love-hate relationship with Apple... Tongue Out

  • User profile image
    JChung2006

    Hmm, I wonder if Dovella uses some automated Italian-to-English translation software to write his posts.

    Tutti i vostri basi sono appartengono a noi!

  • User profile image
    Bass

    iPhone killer COOL!



    iPhone DOOMED

  • User profile image
    Dovella

    La Bomba said:
    Hey Dovella, you know you are not going to recommend iPhone to your friend, unless you really hate the friend. 

    Don't waste time making more threads.
    Big Smile Big Smile Big Smile YES sure!!The problem was that whereas media spots on TV. etc. people has not yet quite clear that iphone is like a Sagem or Nokia of 5 years ago + multitouch +eye candy (and people are using it to 98% only touch)

    Even in a company would be almost useless

  • User profile image
    Ray7

    Dovella said:
    La Bomba said:
    *snip*
    Big Smile Big Smile Big Smile YES sure!!The problem was that whereas media spots on TV. etc. people has not yet quite clear that iphone is like a Sagem or Nokia of 5 years ago + multitouch +eye candy (and people are using it to 98% only touch)

    Even in a company would be almost useless
    If other companies don't want to spend the money on marketing their phones, then that is hardly Apple's fault is it?

    You're right; there is nothing new in the iPhone, but Apple has put nothing new into a package that is easily understood and useable by consumers.

    I don't really understand this obsession with the lack of multi-tasking either.  How many times does your average bod need to do two things at once on the phone? While writing a text message, she also wants to .... what?

    Microsoft started with the mistaken assumption that folk wanted Windows shrunk down onto a tiny screen. Years later, I have a PDA that I still need to reset every other day if I run the wrong combination of applications.

    Apple started with the customer and built the UI from there.


  • User profile image
    Bass

    Ray7 said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*
    If other companies don't want to spend the money on marketing their phones, then that is hardly Apple's fault is it?

    You're right; there is nothing new in the iPhone, but Apple has put nothing new into a package that is easily understood and useable by consumers.

    I don't really understand this obsession with the lack of multi-tasking either.  How many times does your average bod need to do two things at once on the phone? While writing a text message, she also wants to .... what?

    Microsoft started with the mistaken assumption that folk wanted Windows shrunk down onto a tiny screen. Years later, I have a PDA that I still need to reset every other day if I run the wrong combination of applications.

    Apple started with the customer and built the UI from there.


    I think the tell tale sign that the iPhone is doing extremely well is the fact that even people as anti-Apple like Dovella seem to have the need to compare every phone on the market to the iPhone.

    I really think Dovella has massive iPhone envy.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.