Coffeehouse Thread

14 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

First proper 'gobsmacking' WPF Enterprise Application

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    vesuvius

The Lawson Mango application has been the one favored by Channel 9 and the media, see below

I must admit that it looked fabulous, but could never quite fathom why on earth everyone got over excited by a single picture. The 'proof of the pudding is in the eating' which was what I missed about this application. A screen cast or code demo would have been so welcome.

Luckily dnrtv have an excellent example of an enterprise application, written top down in WPF (and completely in Visual Basic, not a single {} or Wink. Some screenshots;

or

I would recommend you download and watch the vid for this stunning application, and witness the shape of things to come. When you compare this with the usual diet of Office type mimicks or themes favored in business applications you really wonder why you're not involved in something that looks at fabulous as this.

This is a major application that will have a Silverlight version, leveraging the true power of running the .NET framework in a browser.

• User profile image
    jh71283

That is a nice looking app.... big fan of that!

• User profile image
    androidi

Looks fancy but I would like to get to the age where names and contact info would transfer itself and I could control what I want to transfer. For example a phone could handshake with the biz/shop side terminal wirelessly and on my phone I would be able to choose what identity and what information I want to give away.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

androidi said:

Looks fancy but I would like to get to the age where names and contact info would transfer itself and I could control what I want to transfer. For example a phone could handshake with the biz/shop side terminal wirelessly and on my phone I would be able to choose what identity and what information I want to give away.

But does it perform well on relatively low-end hardware?  There's no reason why an HR manager should need a quad-core machine with 4 GB of memory and a top-end graphics card to be able to do their job.

• User profile image
    jonathansam​pson

Did anybody notice that the second demo contains exclusively information from the American TV Show, The Office? Smiley Dunder-mifflin, Stan Hudson, Jim Halpert etc Smiley

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

CannotResolveSymbol said:
    androidi said:
    *snip*
    But does it perform well on relatively low-end hardware?  There's no reason why an HR manager should need a quad-core machine with 4 GB of memory and a top-end graphics card to be able to do their job.

There's no reason why an HR manager should need a quad-core machine with 4 GB of memory and a top-end graphics card to be able to do their job.

But that's always where the hi-spec machines end up!  Never mind who can actually make best use of them, it's a matter of 'seniority'!  That's why the manager always need mostrously fast PCs to send their emails and sit looking a pr0n all day ...

Herbie (as you may have guessed, I'm not a manager).

• User profile image
    dentaku

That is very good and well thought out without being needlessly flashy. It kind of reminds me of the new Zune software in some ways.
    The little things like being smart enough to know if an entry has changed and then reverted back to it's original state so saving isn't needed anymore makes it nice too. I've seen software that will ask if you want to save changes even though nothing is different.

• User profile image
    jh71283

androidi said:
    *snip*
    WPF does run quite nicely on pretty low spec machines (some of mine are around 600MHz at the moment), and as for graphics hardware, any notebook that is around these days will handle WPF stuff without breaking into a sweat...

• User profile image
    Verve

jh71283 said:
    *snip*
    WPF does run quite nicely on pretty low spec machines (some of mine are around 600MHz at the moment), and as for graphics hardware, any notebook that is around these days will handle WPF stuff without breaking into a sweat...
    Agreed, we are running our internal WPF app on pretty low spec machines using Windows XP.  It runs quite well.

• User profile image
    dentaku

Verve said:
    jh71283 said:
    *snip*
    Agreed, we are running our internal WPF app on pretty low spec machines using Windows XP.  It runs quite well.
    You hear about "internal WPS apps" but there doesn't seem to be much publicly available stuff out there.
    Are poeple just afraid of the problems that might arise when they need to explain how to get it working in XP?

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

dentaku said:
    Verve said:
    *snip*
    You hear about "internal WPS apps" but there doesn't seem to be much publicly available stuff out there.
    Are poeple just afraid of the problems that might arise when they need to explain how to get it working in XP?
    People have been bundling runtimes with commercial software for years, so that's not the problem (Windows Installer  handles this quite nicely).

• User profile image
    stevo_

dentaku said:
    Verve said:
    *snip*
    I imagine as was stated in the video.. theres an edge right now to doing WPF apps, they look and work really nicely, something the client can appreciate very easily..

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

dentaku said:
    *snip*
    People have been bundling runtimes with commercial software for years, so that's not the problem (Windows Installer  handles this quite nicely).

No, it really doesn't. Merge modules are a failure. Stuff like the .Net Framework can only be installed properly through a bootstrapper which in itself has nothing to do with MSI, and removing a product inlcuding all its dependencies is especially terrible.

• User profile image
    Verve

dentaku said:
    Verve said:
    *snip*
    Its not a conspiracy.  Honestly though we did not do anything special to get it to work on XP.  The app was developed and deployed on Windows XP (not my choice, but it worked out great) the same as any other WPF app.  The XAML was written by hand and in Blend.

The app posted here looks very nice, great job to the developer.  Its so true about WPF apps, screenshots can't do them justice because the interactivity is a large part of the user experience Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.