Coffeehouse Thread

35 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

GTalk or Live?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Itslloydhere

I find it difficult to decide. Now, I love GTalk, but if I were allowed to talk to my WLM friends (ie the 200 WLM friends vs the ..5 GTalk)via GTalk I'd do it. The windows are clean and tidy and they all tab nicely. WLM only gets to the same "place" once you strip away all the menus, and even then it's not my favourite. Then again, WLM is nice, and it's packed with features, and maybe that's its problem? Too many features packed. GTalks minimalistic UI has the VOIP, and the file transfer, and I've never found a *need* for webcam.

So GTalk + WLM friend list. Plus, GTalk works on my Blackberry (its pretty much a straight port, apart from VOIP), which is really useful. WLM refuses to, unless I use the dreadful online service which refreshes every time I send a message Expressionless Painful on a mobile device.

• User profile image
    Rowan

What was the question again?

I also use GTalk and I like it.

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

Rowan said:
    What was the question again?

I also use GTalk and I like it.

Never used GTalk, but I like live messenger and my office communicator.

Don't need anything else really.

• User profile image
    Bas

Maddus Mattus said:
    Rowan said:
    *snip*

Never used GTalk, but I like live messenger and my office communicator.

Don't need anything else really.

The only thing I'd want out of Live Messenger is a slightly cleaner interface, and very rudimentary text decoration that allows me to emphasize a single word by making it italic. Apart from that, it's working fine.

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

Bas said:
    Maddus Mattus said:
    *snip*
    The only thing I'd want out of Live Messenger is a slightly cleaner interface, and very rudimentary text decoration that allows me to emphasize a single word by making it italic. Apart from that, it's working fine.
    Better then ICQ anyway Smiley

Anyone still using that?

• User profile image
    Bas

Maddus Mattus said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

Anyone still using that?
    True, but it's on the verge of going down the same slippery slope ICQ went down.

• User profile image
    Itslloydhere

Bas said:
    Maddus Mattus said:
    *snip*
    That's something GTalk's missing too. Then it'd really rock Smiley

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Bas said:
    Maddus Mattus said:
    *snip*
    True, but it's on the verge of going down the same slippery slope ICQ went down.
    I dread the end-days of Windows XP support when they will undoubtably remove the ability for users of Windows Messenger 4.x and 5.x from connecting to the Messenger servers.

GIVE ME CLEAN, UNADULTERATED IM OR GIVE ME DEATH!

• User profile image
    Ix

I prefer WLM. I really dont care about the UI bloat or the crappy "today" page. I just use it because it's universal and a popular medium for IM. It works well with my phone, pda, personal laptop, work laptop (office communicator), and my systems at home. Everyone I know has a Live account, and until that changes I'll stick with it.

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

W3bbo said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*
    I dread the end-days of Windows XP support when they will undoubtably remove the ability for users of Windows Messenger 4.x and 5.x from connecting to the Messenger servers.

GIVE ME CLEAN, UNADULTERATED IM OR GIVE ME DEATH!
    ...or, you can just use any of a dozen clients out there, all slimmer than the default WLM. I use Digsby, which is slick and nice, though a bit slow and memory-hoggish. They promised a big bugfix version soon, though. You can use Miranda, which is as barebones as you want it to be. Using Trillian. Use Pidgin. Why this fixation on Windows Messenger and Windows Messenger only?

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

Ix said:
    I prefer WLM. I really dont care about the UI bloat or the crappy "today" page. I just use it because it's universal and a popular medium for IM. It works well with my phone, pda, personal laptop, work laptop (office communicator), and my systems at home. Everyone I know has a Live account, and until that changes I'll stick with it.
    You can turn the today page off, together with those annoying tabs,..

Only thing that remains is a banner,.. Wich I really dont mind,.. At all!

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Yggdrasil said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*
    ...or, you can just use any of a dozen clients out there, all slimmer than the default WLM. I use Digsby, which is slick and nice, though a bit slow and memory-hoggish. They promised a big bugfix version soon, though. You can use Miranda, which is as barebones as you want it to be. Using Trillian. Use Pidgin. Why this fixation on Windows Messenger and Windows Messenger only?
    Accountability.

• User profile image
    Itslloydhere

Maddus Mattus said:
    Ix said:
    *snip*
    You can turn the today page off, together with those annoying tabs,..

Only thing that remains is a banner,.. Wich I really dont mind,.. At all!
    And you can cut down the UI of all the windows by removing all the toolbars. I still wish the windows would tab like GTalk though (one above and below etc and then you flick through them)

• User profile image
    Bas

I'd like it if they cleaned up the toolbar and moved most of the less-frequently used functions in a dropdown menu. I really don't care about the ads, personally:

• User profile image
    sushovande

Bas said:
    Maddus Mattus said:
    *snip*
    You can make a single word (sentence, para) italic in gtalk by enclosing it in underscores.
    So typing _this_ will render as this

• User profile image
    Itslloydhere

sushovande said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*
    You can make a single word (sentence, para) italic in gtalk by enclosing it in underscores.
    So typing _this_ will render as this
    Oh cool! Bold is *bold*

Edit: I googled some stuff and found out that iGoogle has a GTalk widget, and when you're talking through it and paste a Youtube link, it pastes the video right there in the chat for you to view. I think thats pretty cool Smiley If executed well that'd work nicely in GTalk.

• User profile image
    jonathansam​pson

Maddus Mattus said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

Anyone still using that?
    15373634 Smiley

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

jonathansampson said:
    Maddus Mattus said:
    *snip*
    15373634 Smiley
    uh-oh!

I lost my number ages ago,..

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.