Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Popular music genres.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    androidi

Based on what you might hear from the radio or MTV you might think otherwise but here's latest data from a global ranking database where users tag the genres they like.

In order from most liked to least

rock, jazz, electro, punk, ambient, funk, house, (similar rankings: reggae, blues, metal, soul, techno, classical) ... (50+ genres) ... disco, r&b, ... on the other end of the list ...   "pop", country, rap, "emo".

Looking at this I think this ranking might be biased by what is on tv/radio a lot? That kind of cancels it all except r&b & disco which end up being least liked genres of all? Kind of a shame I actually like some disco!

• User profile image
    androidi

correction: global -> primarily euro/us.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

androidi said:
    correction: global -> primarily euro/us.
    Last.fm?

• User profile image
    androidi

Ion Todirel said:
    androidi said:
    *snip*
    Last.fm?
    Nope. I just checked what last.fm provides and couldn't find a clear list but I gathered that last.fm users like  pop , metal more than the users from the other ranking. They've also tagged alternative, indie but looking at definitions of those it seems they're a bit vague or a sub genre of something else.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Did it occur to you that what's on TV/Radio a lot might be what's most popular, and that you're not really seeing bias, you're just seeing what's popular?  You're also going to find a lot of regional variation, even within countries, so a global "what music is most popular" is essentially meaningless.

Alternative and indie are odd categories.  Alternative would probably qualify as a subgenre of rock, but "indie" can be pretty much any genre of music.  Most of what people term "indie" is pop or rock (or punk, since that's a top-level genre in the source you quote), but indie's really defined as being music that's not produced by one of the major record labels, so it doesn't qualify as a genre of music per se.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

androidi said:
    Ion Todirel said:
    *snip*
    Nope. I just checked what last.fm provides and couldn't find a clear list but I gathered that last.fm users like  pop , metal more than the users from the other ranking. They've also tagged alternative, indie but looking at definitions of those it seems they're a bit vague or a sub genre of something else.
    then maybe: http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=73:p ?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.