Coffeehouse Thread

24 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows Search 4.0 hit Automatic Update in Vista today ...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Dr Herbie

I have a rule about not installing stuff until it's in the update list in Vista, so I've been waiting for the new search to appear for a while now, and up it popped just now!

Any fantastic new features I'll immediately notice on my stand-alone home PC?

Download 48% complete ....

Herbie

• User profile image
    Bas

I've just installed it. Can't say I noticed any difference, but then I never found Vista's search to be slow.

One thing I've tried, though: OneNote is in the list of indexed locations. I just re-indexed everything. I have the word "Bananaphone" (for example) in one of my OneNote notes. I search for "Bananaphone": the onenote notebook doesn't show up. What am I doing wrong? Paolo?

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

Bas said:
    I've just installed it. Can't say I noticed any difference, but then I never found Vista's search to be slow.

One thing I've tried, though: OneNote is in the list of indexed locations. I just re-indexed everything. I have the word "Bananaphone" (for example) in one of my OneNote notes. I search for "Bananaphone": the onenote notebook doesn't show up. What am I doing wrong? Paolo?
    Hit Microsoft Update for Windows XP too today (yesterday? sometime around now?). Not come down auto update (yet) on xp for me though.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

I didn't see any difference. It's all in the search engine.

Topic hijack: what happened with the 'SQL server 2008, vs 2008 sp1 released' post?

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

GoddersUK said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*
    Hit Microsoft Update for Windows XP too today (yesterday? sometime around now?). Not come down auto update (yet) on xp for me though.
    Does anyone know how to make it compatible with Windows Live Mail.

I'm having problems making it index my WLM emails atm Sad

• User profile image
    Lizard​Rumsfeld

GoddersUK said:
    GoddersUK said:
    *snip*

I definitely notice the results return much more quickly in Vista, then again I've been using 4.0 since the beta.

The XP version, however seems to have changed little.  Still does not show Program shortcuts like I did in version 2.65 (how the hell does the search team miss this?), and still doesn't index Windows Live Mail Desktop, which after all this time is rather odd, to say the least.

• User profile image
    Itslloydhere

Bas said:

Knowing the weird name you've got for your online storage place (you said it) it wouldn't surprise me if you actually did have the word bananaphone in a OneNote notebook Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

Bas said:

Generic Forum Image 

Too silly keyword maybe?

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

ZippyV said:
    I didn't see any difference. It's all in the search engine.

Topic hijack: what happened with the 'SQL server 2008, vs 2008 sp1 released' post?

ZippyV said:

Scott Hanselman emailed me and asked if I could do him a favour and get the post removed -- they don't want the thunder stolen from any official announcements. He said please, so I was happy to help.

Herbie

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

We had performance issues with the search indexer process. It went to 100% CPU for several minutes, did that get fixed in 4.0?

• User profile image
    Bas

Maddus Mattus said:

We had performance issues with the search indexer process. It went to 100% CPU for several minutes, did that get fixed in 4.0?

I reindexed my stuff yesterday, and CPU use was pretty high when I wasn't doing anything (which I obviously didn't care about since I wasn't doing anything), but it immediately jumped to the back seat when I started using the pc again.

Still, that's only my experience.

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

Bas said:
    Maddus Mattus said:
    *snip*
    I reindexed my stuff yesterday, and CPU use was pretty high when I wasn't doing anything (which I obviously didn't care about since I wasn't doing anything), but it immediately jumped to the back seat when I started using the pc again.

Still, that's only my experience.
    Just installed it, didnt notice anything different.

Time will tell,...

• User profile image
    hakster

Maddus Mattus said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*
    Just installed it, didnt notice anything different.

Time will tell,...
    Just installed Windows Search 4.0 via Vista auto-update. Now, searches in some folders that used to work before don't return anything. This is very annoying since I have 160 documents in one that I need to search for my thesis! Is this because the update trashes the index? Looks like the index is currently indexing, and has done 12,000 files. Not sure how many it had before. Any ideas how long it will take to index my disk, about 80Gb? Can I force it to prioritise the indexing of a particular folder and sub-folders? Grrrrr......

• User profile image
    PaoloM

hakster said:
    Maddus Mattus said:
    *snip*
    Just installed Windows Search 4.0 via Vista auto-update. Now, searches in some folders that used to work before don't return anything. This is very annoying since I have 160 documents in one that I need to search for my thesis! Is this because the update trashes the index? Looks like the index is currently indexing, and has done 12,000 files. Not sure how many it had before. Any ideas how long it will take to index my disk, about 80Gb? Can I force it to prioritise the indexing of a particular folder and sub-folders? Grrrrr......
    WS4 rebuilds the index, it shouldn't take long for 160 documents. Unfortunately, there is no way to prioritize folders...

• User profile image
    hakster

PaoloM said:
    hakster said:
    *snip*
    WS4 rebuilds the index, it shouldn't take long for 160 documents. Unfortunately, there is no way to prioritize folders...
    Thanks. It has finally got there for the folder I need.... Just in case anyone finds this info useful, my search/index locations are at their defaults. I have 100Gb of files, typical mix, on the disk. The index service has indexed 26,000 files so far in 6 hours on a Dell D630 laptop, and indexing is slow since I have been using the machine all day, so it says in the Index applet in Control Panel.

It's a shame Search 4.0 trashes the index when it is installed, since even though my data is in the normal place, as a user, my first experience was of the Search function effectively being broken until the rebuild is complete or sufficiently advanced. I would suggest that there should be a warning, so I could have delayed until tonight and then it could have happily rebuilt overnight. Or, it could use the old index maybe read-only, and then rebuild the new one in parallel - that maybe is a bit too clever and hard to implement though Smiley

• User profile image
    PaoloM

hakster said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*
    Thanks. It has finally got there for the folder I need.... Just in case anyone finds this info useful, my search/index locations are at their defaults. I have 100Gb of files, typical mix, on the disk. The index service has indexed 26,000 files so far in 6 hours on a Dell D630 laptop, and indexing is slow since I have been using the machine all day, so it says in the Index applet in Control Panel.

It's a shame Search 4.0 trashes the index when it is installed, since even though my data is in the normal place, as a user, my first experience was of the Search function effectively being broken until the rebuild is complete or sufficiently advanced. I would suggest that there should be a warning, so I could have delayed until tonight and then it could have happily rebuilt overnight. Or, it could use the old index maybe read-only, and then rebuild the new one in parallel - that maybe is a bit too clever and hard to implement though Smiley
    Yeah, I feel your pain Smiley

WS4 should update automatically during the night and immediately start rebuilding your index so, by the time you start working, everything is indexed.

Notifying you that indexing is not done is a very tricky business. Should we do it everytime a new item is added to the index? Or when the index is empty?

See? Tricky business... Wink

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

GoddersUK said:
    GoddersUK said:
    *snip*

now they just need to make it easy to find the result you want Perplexed :

EDIT: BTW to make those show up I manually had to add the WLM folder in local settings to the index. Not something the average user would want/know to do or would be able to do.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

PaoloM said:
    hakster said:
    *snip*
    Yeah, I feel your pain Smiley

WS4 should update automatically during the night and immediately start rebuilding your index so, by the time you start working, everything is indexed.

Notifying you that indexing is not done is a very tricky business. Should we do it everytime a new item is added to the index? Or when the index is empty?

See? Tricky business... Wink

We don't all leave our computers on 24/7 Paolo. Besides, can't you set automatic update to update at your choice of time?

Notifying you that indexing is not done is a very tricky business.

Notifying that the index has been reset, however, is not. Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.