Coffeehouse Thread

23 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Introducing Games for Windows – LIVE

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    eagle

Free multiplayer is just the beginning.

Introducing Games for Windows – LIVE, the free gaming service built for Windows that makes great Windows games even better.  With Games for Windows – LIVE, you get an online identity – called a gamertag – and a friends list that works across multiple games, the XBOX 360, and even the Zune music service.  You can easily find and communicate with your friends online with text and voice chat.  Earn achievements and Gamerscore that lets you track and compare your accomplishments. 

Get Started

• User profile image
    Itslloydhere

It's only free 'cause they couldn't sell it Tongue Out
    Achievements on PC sounds good, I've got a stack of games for PC I don't play much. I wonder if GfW will work with my XBL account?

Also, do you know how annoying it is when you just copy and paste? Give an opinion or something, but at least write it yourself...

• User profile image
    Bas

Didn't we already have Games for Windows Live? What's happening here? Is the equivalent of a silver xbox live membership, or a gold one?

• User profile image
    Itslloydhere

Bas said:

Didn't we already have Games for Windows Live? What's happening here? Is the equivalent of a silver xbox live membership, or a gold one?

This is the equivolent of Gold, if I read Giz's breakdown properly Tongue Out I wonder if my mate who has COD4 for PC can play me on Xbox?

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

Itslloydhere said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*
    This is the equivolent of Gold, if I read Giz's breakdown properly Tongue Out I wonder if my mate who has COD4 for PC can play me on Xbox?
    That wouldnt be fair, keyboard + mouse owns XBox controller.

• User profile image
    Bas

Itslloydhere said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*
    So Xbox players get to pay for gold, but PC players get it for free? That's kind of odd.

• User profile image
    Itslloydhere

Maddus Mattus said:
    Itslloydhere said:
    *snip*
    That wouldnt be fair, keyboard + mouse owns XBox controller.
    I beg to differ. I'm faster with a controller than I am with a keyboard.
     @Bas that's because they could actually sell Gold Tongue Out Also, with PC games, none of the gaming is run through MS's servers (Like XBL is) because people game through the creators servers, so perhaps the cash isn't needed? Not sure though so don't quote me on that.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Itslloydhere said:
    Maddus Mattus said:
    *snip*
    I beg to differ. I'm faster with a controller than I am with a keyboard.
     @Bas that's because they could actually sell Gold Tongue Out Also, with PC games, none of the gaming is run through MS's servers (Like XBL is) because people game through the creators servers, so perhaps the cash isn't needed? Not sure though so don't quote me on that.
    Itslloydhere said:

so perhaps the cash isn't needed?

MS is a business, cash is always needed. They wouldn't be giving this away for free unless there was a revenue generation somewhere along the line (even if only indirectly).

Herbie

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Dr Herbie said:
    Itslloydhere said:
    *snip*

MS is a business, cash is always needed. They wouldn't be giving this away for free unless there was a revenue generation somewhere along the line (even if only indirectly).

Herbie

Well, for starters, you still have to pay for the game.

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

mVPstar said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*
    Well, for starters, you still have to pay for the game.
    Maybe they want to promote Windows more as a gaming platform?

Windows has been losing market share in the gaming market to consoles. And game designers are starting to ignoring the PC.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

Maddus Mattus said:
    mVPstar said:
    *snip*
    Maybe they want to promote Windows more as a gaming platform?

Windows has been losing market share in the gaming market to consoles. And game designers are starting to ignoring the PC.
    So now instead of being able to play games for free online I will be able to play games free online?!

Wow, this is so new and exciting... Oh wait... It is just a dumb gametag with more of what these games already offer. It really begs the question - what is the point?

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

ManipUni said:
    Maddus Mattus said:
    *snip*
    So now instead of being able to play games for free online I will be able to play games free online?!

Wow, this is so new and exciting... Oh wait... It is just a dumb gametag with more of what these games already offer. It really begs the question - what is the point?
    Anti piracy.

YARRRRrrr!

• User profile image
    K0ogle

"Achievements on PC sounds good"

oh pls this stuff is for fking noobs.. leave it on the nooby console systems.. already seen valve try this bullshit on with TF2.. get the achievements and get sshity weapon unlocks wooppdee f\cking doo that really improved the playability of the game. those achievments are only there to get noobs to play the game longer, its like quests and grinding sh/t in wow, waste of time. If you're losing interest in a game its because its SH/T... achievements are like a game developers easy way out of making a game seem better and have longer playability value.. wake up.

"And game designers are starting to ignoring the PC."

let em.. the majority of pc<>console port sh/t bomb crap larger game developers have been putting out, i really couldn't careless if they ignored the pc market.. they can blame it on piracy and i'll blame on shitty noob games!!!!  Anyway it might open the market up for some more innovative smaller game developers to step in while things go stale and all the big players turn there back on the pc market or just continue to bring out dumb down console game sh/t. I've already decided to only support pc only game developments now and tbh I'd rather buy directly from the developer shareware syle than support these bloody useless middleman platforms.. I want direct desktop to game launching and built in server lists.. or just one main powerful, fast, streamlined game server list like ASE(all seeing eye) was before it got bought out by those bloody morrons at yahoo! .. and now they redirect you to that bloated gamespy sh/t!! I mean these are areas where directx should be making it easier for game developers, instead they announce what looks to be another sh/t bomb called directx11,which smells just as bad as the poor effort that went into Dx10.. perhaps they'll get a Dx12 out for Win7 and nvidia or amd might sort out some real next gen hardware features.

as for Games for Windows – LIVE

pfff I wouldn't trust em to get jack sh/t right they screwed it up big time the first time around, and do i really want to be running another crap platform on my pc that does nothing to enhance the actual game with built in browser/messaging.. or does it just sit on my desktop chucking out ads and doing jackshit.. I mean we already got one of those platforms on the pc its  called "steam"-ing pile of sh/t.. and tbh that puts me off playing most the games I have bought from valve .. i mean do i launch steam wait around for it piss around and update, finally get to the game tab, or server list, and then launch my game.. takes fking ages!!, I want instant as possible before I lose interest in pwning noobs.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I've known about GfWL since early 2007, of course I was under an NDA then.

GfWL isn't anything like XBL since it's entirely up to the developer if they want to tie in or not, and I doubt it'll be popular since we've always had free online play that's been independent of the publisher since... well... the beginning.

It'll become popular, but not as hip as XBL.

I understand Microsoft is also planning an Xbox Live Arcade-style product for Windows too.

• User profile image
    eagle

W3bbo said:
    I've known about GfWL since early 2007, of course I was under an NDA then.

GfWL isn't anything like XBL since it's entirely up to the developer if they want to tie in or not, and I doubt it'll be popular since we've always had free online play that's been independent of the publisher since... well... the beginning.

It'll become popular, but not as hip as XBL.

I understand Microsoft is also planning an Xbox Live Arcade-style product for Windows too.
    I've been in on the beta, but I never had to sign an NDA.

Gaming is growing and the better the network and it's community the better the games will be.

This is about having FUN

• User profile image
    Minh

K0ogle said:

"Achievements on PC sounds good"

oh pls this stuff is for fking noobs.. leave it on the nooby console systems.. already seen valve try this bullshit on with TF2.. get the achievements and get sshity weapon unlocks wooppdee f\cking doo that really improved the playability of the game. those achievments are only there to get noobs to play the game longer, its like quests and grinding sh/t in wow, waste of time. If you're losing interest in a game its because its SH/T... achievements are like a game developers easy way out of making a game seem better and have longer playability value.. wake up.

"And game designers are starting to ignoring the PC."

let em.. the majority of pc<>console port sh/t bomb crap larger game developers have been putting out, i really couldn't careless if they ignored the pc market.. they can blame it on piracy and i'll blame on shitty noob games!!!!  Anyway it might open the market up for some more innovative smaller game developers to step in while things go stale and all the big players turn there back on the pc market or just continue to bring out dumb down console game sh/t. I've already decided to only support pc only game developments now and tbh I'd rather buy directly from the developer shareware syle than support these bloody useless middleman platforms.. I want direct desktop to game launching and built in server lists.. or just one main powerful, fast, streamlined game server list like ASE(all seeing eye) was before it got bought out by those bloody morrons at yahoo! .. and now they redirect you to that bloated gamespy sh/t!! I mean these are areas where directx should be making it easier for game developers, instead they announce what looks to be another sh/t bomb called directx11,which smells just as bad as the poor effort that went into Dx10.. perhaps they'll get a Dx12 out for Win7 and nvidia or amd might sort out some real next gen hardware features.

as for Games for Windows – LIVE

pfff I wouldn't trust em to get jack sh/t right they screwed it up big time the first time around, and do i really want to be running another crap platform on my pc that does nothing to enhance the actual game with built in browser/messaging.. or does it just sit on my desktop chucking out ads and doing jackshit.. I mean we already got one of those platforms on the pc its  called "steam"-ing pile of sh/t.. and tbh that puts me off playing most the games I have bought from valve .. i mean do i launch steam wait around for it piss around and update, finally get to the game tab, or server list, and then launch my game.. takes fking ages!!, I want instant as possible before I lose interest in pwning noobs.

K0ogle... take a deep breath...

• User profile image
    K0ogle

Minh said:
    K0ogle said:
    *snip*
    K0ogle... take a deep breath...

Smiley don't worry i'm all cooled down now

• User profile image
    W3bbo

eagle said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*
    I've been in on the beta, but I never had to sign an NDA.

Gaming is growing and the better the network and it's community the better the games will be.

This is about having FUN
    I never said I was in the beta Wink

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.