Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Brent Ozar says SQL Server 2008 "sucks"

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    wisemx

    http://www.brentozar.com/archive/2008/07/sql-server-2008-sucks/

    On the contrary, I say SQL Server 2008 Rocks!
    Shall we get out the Bamboo?

  • User profile image
    Bass

    Are you saying SQL Server 2008 rocks because you have first hand experience with it, or are you just saying SQL Server 2008 rocks in your typical "<Insert Any Product From Microsoft> rocks" manner?

  • User profile image
    JeremyJ

    I think it was just an article to get hits on his blog because at the end he says:

    Okay, reality check: I’ve got gripes with SQL Server 2008, but they’re pretty small, especially relative to the other platforms out there.  It’s like saying my Ferrari Superamerica* doesn’t have enough seats for my drinking buddies, so I’ll be switching to a minivan.  Some compromises are worth making.

    So it sounds like he actually really likes SQL 2008.

  • User profile image
    wisemx

    Bass said:
    Are you saying SQL Server 2008 rocks because you have first hand experience with it, or are you just saying SQL Server 2008 rocks in your typical "<Insert Any Product From Microsoft> rocks" manner?
    I'm not only using it but making Webcasts for it.
    On IIS7...
    For me the combination rocks. Love it.

  • User profile image
    Mark Brown

    Yes, curious. I titilating headline sure to bring in the ABM crowd yet a conclusion that he indeed likes it albeit with a few pet peeves. Not unheard of Smiley

  • User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

    Mark Brown said:
    Yes, curious. I titilating headline sure to bring in the ABM crowd yet a conclusion that he indeed likes it albeit with a few pet peeves. Not unheard of Smiley
    Too bad I didnt get the Full Text index to work on my VPC.

    Screwed my installation very good when I tried to go back to 2005.

    That's what you get for installing beta's. Other then that, auto completion RULES!

  • User profile image
    BrentO

    Mark Brown said:
    Yes, curious. I titilating headline sure to bring in the ABM crowd yet a conclusion that he indeed likes it albeit with a few pet peeves. Not unheard of Smiley
    Mark Brown just about nailed it.  One of my coworkers wrote a blog post called "Free Beer and Porn for Life" to see how many blog posts he'd get.  I said nah, people aren't searching for that - I'll show you what they're really searching for.

    I meant what I said in the post, though - there's a lot about SQL 2008 that does indeed suck, things that will surprise the DBA when it's time to get down to business.  It's almost as if they're building in features just to say they've got 'em (to fend off Oracle), but they're not making it easy for DBAs to use those features.  I'm already cringing at the next big support problem: DBAs who used transparent data encryption to back up their databases, then the server crashed and they didn't realize they had to back up the certificate file.

    WiseMX - I'm curious - when you say it rocks in conjunction with IIS7, what specifically makes it rock that you didn't already have in SQL 2005?

  • User profile image
    wisemx

    BrentO said:
    Mark Brown said:
    *snip*
    Mark Brown just about nailed it.  One of my coworkers wrote a blog post called "Free Beer and Porn for Life" to see how many blog posts he'd get.  I said nah, people aren't searching for that - I'll show you what they're really searching for.

    I meant what I said in the post, though - there's a lot about SQL 2008 that does indeed suck, things that will surprise the DBA when it's time to get down to business.  It's almost as if they're building in features just to say they've got 'em (to fend off Oracle), but they're not making it easy for DBAs to use those features.  I'm already cringing at the next big support problem: DBAs who used transparent data encryption to back up their databases, then the server crashed and they didn't realize they had to back up the certificate file.

    WiseMX - I'm curious - when you say it rocks in conjunction with IIS7, what specifically makes it rock that you didn't already have in SQL 2005?
    You make a good point Brent.
    I'm one of the guys who migrated Oracle worlds over to SQL Server 2000.
    The Oracle "number" alone was a nightmare on some projects back then.

    When I said "the combination", I meant with both of them in your hands, not necessarily a conjunction.
    Back when we were using SQL Server 7 with ASP, before we were blessed with the server directives...
    I dreamt of the things we have now in the year 2008. It took a long time. We have a sweet combo now.
      Salute,
        Mark Wisecarver

  • User profile image
    BlackTiger

    wisemx said:
    BrentO said:
    *snip*
    You make a good point Brent.
    I'm one of the guys who migrated Oracle worlds over to SQL Server 2000.
    The Oracle "number" alone was a nightmare on some projects back then.

    When I said "the combination", I meant with both of them in your hands, not necessarily a conjunction.
    Back when we were using SQL Server 7 with ASP, before we were blessed with the server directives...
    I dreamt of the things we have now in the year 2008. It took a long time. We have a sweet combo now.
      Salute,
        Mark Wisecarver
    SQL2008 looks too overcomplicated for me... Like a most of last MS products.

    If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Ix

    BlackTiger said:
    wisemx said:
    *snip*
    SQL2008 looks too overcomplicated for me... Like a most of last MS products.

    I hadn't really looked at it...
    Does it come with a ribbon bar?

  • User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

    Ix said:
    BlackTiger said:
    *snip*
    I hadn't really looked at it...
    Does it come with a ribbon bar?
    No ribbon, it's a server product not an Office suite Wink

  • User profile image
    Ix

    Maddus Mattus said:
    Ix said:
    *snip*
    No ribbon, it's a server product not an Office suite Wink

    But the ribbon bar is universally annoying, it doesn't only belong to the office team, it should be shared with all products so my misery can be shared by the masses.

    Thinking..maybe if they released SP4 for XP with a ribbon bar more people would convert to Vista...Nah, that's too evil....or is it?

  • User profile image
    vesuvius

    Maddus Mattus said:
    Ix said:
    *snip*
    No ribbon, it's a server product not an Office suite Wink
    I think it does have a ribbon (or it's meant to). Microsoft purchased Dundas charting (channel 9 link editor not working) http://blogs.msdn.com/bimusings/archive/2007/06/04/microsoft-acquires-dundas-s-data-visualization-components-sql-2008-news-download-ctp3.aspx

    One of the things I hated with SQL 2005 was all reports had to be hosted in IIS. this is no longer the case and users will have a report editor with a ribbon control supposedly. This link has the info http://www.vinodunny.com/blog/post/SQL-Server-2008-Reporting-Services---Big-Changes.aspx

    In the Wisecarver tradition.
     
    Salute.

    PS. Was Ix not called Ixdatul or something similar. How can I modify my name?

  • User profile image
    Ix

    vesuvius said:
    Maddus Mattus said:
    *snip*
    I think it does have a ribbon (or it's meant to). Microsoft purchased Dundas charting (channel 9 link editor not working) http://blogs.msdn.com/bimusings/archive/2007/06/04/microsoft-acquires-dundas-s-data-visualization-components-sql-2008-news-download-ctp3.aspx

    One of the things I hated with SQL 2005 was all reports had to be hosted in IIS. this is no longer the case and users will have a report editor with a ribbon control supposedly. This link has the info http://www.vinodunny.com/blog/post/SQL-Server-2008-Reporting-Services---Big-Changes.aspx

    In the Wisecarver tradition.
     
    Salute.

    PS. Was Ix not called Ixdatul or something similar. How can I modify my name?

    Yes, and change your full name under profile

    EDIT: for reasoning, Ix seemed easier, and it seems to be the defacto that people use when shortening my username. By accommodating the masses, if I add up all the keystrokes used by said masses, I have successfully healed at least one case of carpal tunnel.

    Go me

  • User profile image
    BlackTiger

    Ix said:
    BlackTiger said:
    *snip*
    I hadn't really looked at it...
    Does it come with a ribbon bar?
    I think it has own "A Ribbon"...
    MS lost it's focus and any new product is just a enormous mix of... different features.
    It's annoying. I've even stopped any "learning" of any "new cool technology" (WPF, WCF, LINQ-Synq, Mesh-smesh-blesh-whatever, etc).
    I'm just tired. Just enough.

    If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.