Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Some people actually think the "subject line" is important

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Minh

    ... and that seeing it & able to edit it actually aides effective communication.

     Clip here

    Those some people are John Faughnan and C9's own Jon Udell, in a discussion about
    Knowledge Representation in Health Care (IT Conversations)

  • User profile image
    Rowan

    Yesterday I received an email with the subject "build this ASAP" and no message - just an attached ZIP file - I had to extract the ZIP and open the contents to find out what it was about.

    I don't know what's so hard about writing a meaningful subject.

  • User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

    Rowan said:
    Yesterday I received an email with the subject "build this ASAP" and no message - just an attached ZIP file - I had to extract the ZIP and open the contents to find out what it was about.

    I don't know what's so hard about writing a meaningful subject.
    Open zip file, open project and press f5.

    Reply to e-mail; done!

    Some tips, that I always use in my e-mail conversations;

    • Your subject you should always place the purpose of your e-mail.
    • In the e-mail itself you should not use words if the don't add to the message, each word must have a purpose.
    • Use bullets when communicating lists
    • Write a intro, body and a closing
    • Be as concrete as possible (e.a. I need this done for Friday 13:00PM)
    • Ask confirmation of your message/agreements

  • User profile image
    littleguru

    Oh Sven could sing a song about it Tongue Out

    AFAIK there's no limit in the length of the subject line. Why not use it instead of the body Wink Might get funny.

  • User profile image
    Minh

    littleguru said:
    Oh Sven could sing a song about it Tongue Out

    AFAIK there's no limit in the length of the subject line. Why not use it instead of the body Wink Might get funny.
    Of course, I brought it up because there's some apparent irrational fear of the subject line here on C9. Or perhaps Subject lines are a rare commodity. Only one per 25 posts only. Sigh...

  • User profile image
    Lee_Dale

    Maddus Mattus said:
    Rowan said:
    *snip*
    Open zip file, open project and press f5.

    Reply to e-mail; done!

    Some tips, that I always use in my e-mail conversations;

    • Your subject you should always place the purpose of your e-mail.
    • In the e-mail itself you should not use words if the don't add to the message, each word must have a purpose.
    • Use bullets when communicating lists
    • Write a intro, body and a closing
    • Be as concrete as possible (e.a. I need this done for Friday 13:00PM)
    • Ask confirmation of your message/agreements
    You want it by Friday 13:00PM?

    As opposed to 13:00AM?

  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

    leeappdalecom said:
    Maddus Mattus said:
    *snip*
    You want it by Friday 13:00PM?

    As opposed to 13:00AM?
    The truth comes out!  Maddus Mattus is an alien from a planet with 26-hour days!

    Wink

  • User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

    CannotResolveSymbol said:
    leeappdalecom said:
    *snip*
    The truth comes out!  Maddus Mattus is an alien from a planet with 26-hour days!

    Wink
    Wiseguys Big Smile

    Here's me trying to teach you some business skills and all you can do is make fun of my mistake.

    Real nice Wink

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.