22 posts

MS Promises Pony for Upgrade

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ScanIAm

What the FUD?

• User profile image
    NeoTOM

Ah, save some money and upgrade to 2003, ya sissies.

Who uses NT4 server nowadays, anyway?

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

People with specialied hardware that doesn't have W2k/WinXP drivers Smiley

• User profile image
    AndyC

Personally I like it, it gets the message across well:

If you've gone mad, use Linux.

It is a Microsoft ad, right?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

NeoTOM wrote:
    Who uses NT4 server nowadays, anyway?

I use NT4 Workstation sometimes, is that still supported? Wink

• User profile image
    lars

So, where do I sign up for this free pony?

• User profile image
    AndyC

The real irony of that advert is that Novell would've expired support for NT4 years ago if it had been under their own lifecycle policy.

Novell Lifecycles

Still, wouldn't want the facts to get in the way of a bit of MSFT bashing, would we.

• User profile image
    jamie

the first guy... im crashing.. need a fix - try a patch? they cut me off

hahaha

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I'm just shocked that it seems I've been pronouncing Novell wrong for the past 23 years.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Sven Groot wrote:
    I'm just shocked that it seems I've been pronouncing Novell wrong for the past 23 years.

I'm pretty sure they'd mispronounce yours.

• User profile image
    Manip

AndyC wrote:

The real irony of that advert is that Novell would've expired support for NT4 years ago if it had been under their own lifecycle policy.

Novell Lifecycles

Still, wouldn't want the facts to get in the way of a bit of MSFT bashing, would we.

\\\\ Woosh \\\\

That was the sound as the joke / fact went past AndyC. The point is, Linux is open-source, it is updated by the community, so reguardless of what novell do ....

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

Manip wrote:
    so reguardless of what novell do ....

.... you'd be left with a product that only Novell is really doing any updating on. And you'd have no idea where to find anything anyone else did anyways.

Plus, if you have apps that only run on NT4, you're unlikely to be able to run on NetWare or SuSE unless you're using emulators. Which you can run on 2003 Server as well.

I know it's a joke, and I quite enjoyed the ad, but I've come to expect better from Novell. Especially because I know the directors of marketing and PR personally. I emailed them to let them know I've come to expect better as well.

• User profile image
    harumscarum

well that was awful. I  really saw no reason to swtich to Novell by watching that. What benefit would I get from moving to Novell except some pseudo clever commercials? I guess their marketing must be open source Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Tensor

I find it interesting beer, that you choose to make your linux desktop resemble windows (with taskbar, notification icons, clock). Do you have a Start button too? Smiley

• User profile image
    Rossj

Tensor wrote:
    I find it interesting beer, that you choose to make your linux desktop resemble windows (with taskbar, notification icons, clock). Do you have a Start button too? Smiley

Actually the menu bar icons look like OSX, except they are both on the wrong corner.

I thought Beer, we were going to stop with the Linux sales pitch?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Tensor wrote:

That's just the default Gnome look. If you want something different, you should try WindowMaker, which is cool (but I still use Gnome anyway, cause its easier)

• User profile image
    Ovidiu.​Platon

Rossj wrote:
    I thought Beer, we were going to stop with the Linux sales pitch?

I think Beer is some sort of bot. When bashed, it admits being wrong, then resets itself and starts all over again. I've seen such an experiment on http://nonsense.sourceforge.net/ and they are able to imitate slashdot quite well for instance.

A "ignore user" filter would come in handy at this time.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I get that too, for free, on FC3:

The big red exclamation point appears when there are updates available, and when clicked it shows that window. Note that I don't actually use up2date to update anymore. Up2date is too slow! I use yum instead, which rules, not just for updating but also installing stuff. I can install any package from the web using yum (for instance by typing 'yum install tuxracer' to install tuxracer) and it'll automatically go and get the latest versions available from the configured repositories. By default, it's configured with two repositories, base and updates-released, but I've configured it with a few additional repositories from www.fedorafaq.org (which also includes precompiled kernel-specific RPMs of the ATI drivers, which still don't work) and the Mono repository so I can just use 'yum install mono-1.1.4' to get Mono.

Beer28 wrote:
    It's very similar to XP, Gnome 2.8 is supposed to be alot better, MDK 10.2 is in beta with it

FC3 already has Gnome 2.8. Tongue Out

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.