Coffeehouse Thread

20 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Long's back, wheee

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

Corrupted kernel a few weeks ago, took a while to recover.

• User profile image
    Bas

And still that damned Holy SKU newspost.

I realise he's been busy and that his server blew up, but I'm so tired of seeing that guy.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Bas said:
    And still that damned Holy SKU newspost.

I realise he's been busy and that his server blew up, but I'm so tired of seeing that guy.

There's this new technology you might have heard about that pushes news to you without you having to check a website manually, called RSS.

PS: I'm using the term push like Apple uses it: it's actually pulling/polling.

• User profile image
    Dovella

Big Smile

• User profile image
    Bas

TommyCarlier said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

There's this new technology you might have heard about that pushes news to you without you having to check a website manually, called RSS.

PS: I'm using the term push like Apple uses it: it's actually pulling/polling.

Yeah, see, I only go to Long's blog when I'm bored. I'm not that big of a fan that I need to read each new newspost when it comes out. I just go there once a week or every two weeks, and catch up on stuff. So the RSS feed does nothing to me.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Bas said:
    TommyCarlier said:
    *snip*

Yeah, see, I only go to Long's blog when I'm bored. I'm not that big of a fan that I need to read each new newspost when it comes out. I just go there once a week or every two weeks, and catch up on stuff. So the RSS feed does nothing to me.

I love my feeds. I'm currently subscribed to 162 feeds, not just developer stuff, but also web comics, lolcats, graphics design, gaming, life hacking, ... Developer-wise, it's not limited to technologies I use (.NET, ...) but it also contains a lot of feeds about alternative technologies I don't currently (Mono, Flash/Flex, Qt, Smalltalk, Linux, ...).

Of course, when you get that much news each day, you can't possibly read every article completely. I skip a lot of articles I don't care about, but I'm kept up-to-date about what's going on on the interweb. It's also a great way to detect hypes: when a lot of news feeds talk about something new. The current hypes seem to be the iPhone and Live Mesh (although the iPhone gets more attention).

• User profile image
    Bas

TommyCarlier said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

I love my feeds. I'm currently subscribed to 162 feeds, not just developer stuff, but also web comics, lolcats, graphics design, gaming, life hacking, ... Developer-wise, it's not limited to technologies I use (.NET, ...) but it also contains a lot of feeds about alternative technologies I don't currently (Mono, Flash/Flex, Qt, Smalltalk, Linux, ...).

Of course, when you get that much news each day, you can't possibly read every article completely. I skip a lot of articles I don't care about, but I'm kept up-to-date about what's going on on the interweb. It's also a great way to detect hypes: when a lot of news feeds talk about something new. The current hypes seem to be the iPhone and Live Mesh (although the iPhone gets more attention).

Oh, hey, I love feeds too, especially for infrequently updated stuff. But I never use them for websites that I just visit when I'm bored. Because if I had read the feed when the news hit, I wouldn't have anything left to read when boredom strikes. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Bas said:
    TommyCarlier said:
    *snip*
    Oh, hey, I love feeds too, especially for infrequently updated stuff. But I never use them for websites that I just visit when I'm bored. Because if I had read the feed when the news hit, I wouldn't have anything left to read when boredom strikes. Tongue Out
    Isn't that why we have the Coffeehouse? I think a lot of the posts here are the result of boredom.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

TommyCarlier said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*
    Isn't that why we have the Coffeehouse? I think a lot of the posts here are the result of boredom.
    I mean, a thread called "Long's back, wheee" is not created by someone who's very busy Wink

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Bas said:
    TommyCarlier said:
    *snip*
    Bas, quickly! Long has updated his blog!

• User profile image
    Bas

TommyCarlier said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*
    Bas, quickly! Long has updated his blog!
    OMFG, and just as I was getting bored!

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

LOL, he went down because of a patch that broke the Linux kernel on his machine, now that sux.

****!KERNEL PANIC!*****

I dread those messages.

• User profile image
    longzheng

Maddus Mattus said:
    LOL, he went down because of a patch that broke the Linux kernel on his machine, now that sux.

****!KERNEL PANIC!*****

I dread those messages.
    Wow, I think I can get used to this level of concern Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

TommyCarlier said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

hey! I'm using Feed Demon, do you want to exchange OPML (or whatever) feeds list? Please? Pretty Please? Smiley

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Ion Todirel said:
    TommyCarlier said:
    *snip*
    hey! I'm using Feed Demon, do you want to exchange OPML (or whatever) feeds list? Please? Pretty Please? Smiley
    I just uploaded my feed list to http://files.myopera.com/TommyCarlier/files/opera-newsfeeds.xml.

• User profile image
    Minh

TommyCarlier said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

TommyCarlier said:

I'm currently subscribed to 162 feeds

That's all? Light weight! Wink

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

TommyCarlier said:
    Ion Todirel said:
    *snip*
    I just uploaded my feed list to http://files.myopera.com/TommyCarlier/files/opera-newsfeeds.xml.
    thanks! hmmm, where can I upload my list?

• User profile image
    La Bomba

Minh said:
    TommyCarlier said:
    *snip*

That's all? Light weight! Wink
    Post yours champ..

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.