Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

directx11

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    aL_

so microsoft announced dx11 a few days back,
    it would be really cool to see some interviews about the new stuff in there Smiley
    (hardware tesselation ftw;))

• User profile image
    littleguru

Hardware tesselation is really FTW, since it allows completely get rid of all this kind of LOD techniques that we see right now. Smiley It's a big step forward into the right direction.

• User profile image
    Dovella

littleguru said:
    Hardware tesselation is really FTW, since it allows completely get rid of all this kind of LOD techniques that we see right now. Smiley It's a big step forward into the right direction.
    Christian Raytracing News??

• User profile image
    ZippyV

littleguru said:
    What's tesselation?

• User profile image
    Dovella

ZippyV said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*
    What's tesselation?
    * Full support (including all DX11 hardware features) on Windows Vista as well as future versions of Windows ( e gia si sapeva)
    * Compatibility with DirectX 10 and 10.1 hardware, as well as support for new DirectX 11 hardware (questa mi piace)
    * New compute shader technology that lays the groundwork for the GPU to be used for more than just 3D graphics, so that developers can take advantage of the graphics card as a parallel processor
    * Multi-threaded resource handling that will allow games to better take advantage of multi-core machines
    * Support for tessellation, which blurs the line between super high quality pre-rendered scenes and scenes rendered in real-time, allowing game developers to refine models to be smoother and more attractive when seen up close

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53810

• User profile image
    littleguru

ZippyV said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*
    What's tesselation?
    You kind of give the graphic card a low res model and tell it to make the edges round... to break it down into very simple words. The graphic card can then decide based upon the z-value how many new polygons are going to be created. This happens during each frame, which means that you can really smoothly do the LODs...

@Dovella: tesellation is also useful for raytracing.

Tesellation has been in the discussions for quite a few DX versions now... it's cool to finally have it in hardware.

• User profile image
    Dovella

littleguru said:
    ZippyV said:
    *snip*
    You kind of give the graphic card a low res model and tell it to make the edges round... to break it down into very simple words. The graphic card can then decide based upon the z-value how many new polygons are going to be created. This happens during each frame, which means that you can really smoothly do the LODs...

@Dovella: tesellation is also useful for raytracing.

Tesellation has been in the discussions for quite a few DX versions now... it's cool to finally have it in hardware.
    Christian See here

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Major-Partners-Abandon-the-NVIDIA-Ship-90474.shtml

and now??
    Larrabee Intel??

(i have 8800 GTX Nvidia)

• User profile image
    stevo_

Dovella said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*
    Christian See here

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Major-Partners-Abandon-the-NVIDIA-Ship-90474.shtml

and now??
    Larrabee Intel??

(i have 8800 GTX Nvidia)
    Dovella, nvidia are still the kings right now.. AMD was overhyped the last few weeks.. until now they haven't made a card recently thats even come close to nvidia.. but their last card did.. it finally came on-par.. and forced nvidia to drop their prices (although aparently these guys have been price fixing for awhile)..

Intels offerings won't add much.. intel stated their graphics power would increase ten fold over the next few years.. sadly.. ten fold wouldn't even beat nvidia TODAY.. so uh.. yea, count them out.. they make the best cpus right now but gpus are generally a ton more powerful..

Tessellation is really cool though, but really interesting is ms doing their own "cuda" like system.. that should make dx a ton more flexible in what it lets developers do..

• User profile image
    littleguru

stevo_ said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*
    Dovella, nvidia are still the kings right now.. AMD was overhyped the last few weeks.. until now they haven't made a card recently thats even come close to nvidia.. but their last card did.. it finally came on-par.. and forced nvidia to drop their prices (although aparently these guys have been price fixing for awhile)..

Intels offerings won't add much.. intel stated their graphics power would increase ten fold over the next few years.. sadly.. ten fold wouldn't even beat nvidia TODAY.. so uh.. yea, count them out.. they make the best cpus right now but gpus are generally a ton more powerful..

Tessellation is really cool though, but really interesting is ms doing their own "cuda" like system.. that should make dx a ton more flexible in what it lets developers do..

Does DX11 really include a "cuda" like system? Doesn't the current implementation (from NVIDIA) rely on another driver that's optimized for that...

• User profile image
    Dovella

stevo_ said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*

In fact, I play  Most titles with full details with an incredible fluidity.
    I am very satisfied with the 8800 gtx

(OT. PS. I also advise everyone to try devil may cry 4 is spectacular, capcom has done an extraordinary job)

• User profile image
    stevo_

Dovella said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*
    In fact, I play  Most titles with full details with an incredible fluidity.
    I am very satisfied with the 8800 gtx

(OT. PS. I also advise everyone to try devil may cry 4 is spectacular, capcom has done an extraordinary job)

Dovella, I have the same card Wink but I'm a call of duty 4 guy right now..

• User profile image
    Dovella

stevo_ said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*
    Dovella, I have the same card Wink but I'm a call of duty 4 guy right now..
    Great Big Smile !!!!!!!

remember your Next Game  Devil may cry 4 and gamepad x360 (impossible play DMC4 with keyboard)

Wink

• User profile image
    aL_

ZippyV said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*
    What's tesselation?
    tesselation is the act of figureing out how to represent a shape in using triangles :)its required for higher order surfices live nurbs and subdivs, but can also help with lod, when you re-tesselate the mesh to a lower resolution

if you think the current games look good you should check ot the raytracing demos that are beeing run on amd cards..
    just to give you an idea, the trailers for the transformers movie where rendered in real time on a 2900 xt and ~25 fps.. on the r770 chips the scenes are renderd at 60fps with anti aliasing.. gpus are incredebly powerful Perplexed i whish there where more attention to direct x and gpgpu computing from channel 9 :/  that accelerator project was awsome..

• User profile image
    littleguru

aL_ said:
    ZippyV said:
    *snip*
    tesselation is the act of figureing out how to represent a shape in using triangles :)its required for higher order surfices live nurbs and subdivs, but can also help with lod, when you re-tesselate the mesh to a lower resolution

if you think the current games look good you should check ot the raytracing demos that are beeing run on amd cards..
    just to give you an idea, the trailers for the transformers movie where rendered in real time on a 2900 xt and ~25 fps.. on the r770 chips the scenes are renderd at 60fps with anti aliasing.. gpus are incredebly powerful Perplexed i whish there where more attention to direct x and gpgpu computing from channel 9 :/  that accelerator project was awsome..
    Yeah, I'm also missing a little bit the DirectX coverage on Channel 9... perhaps Charles, Dan, ... could step by their offices and ask them some neath questions about dx11.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

littleguru said:
    aL_ said:
    *snip*
    Yeah, I'm also missing a little bit the DirectX coverage on Channel 9... perhaps Charles, Dan, ... could step by their offices and ask them some neath questions about dx11.
    Yes, more coverage. And ask the team why they didn't do anything around physics.

DirectPhysics

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.