Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Does this name sound familiar?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jonathansam​pson

To all of the computer-history buffs, and students out there, does this name sound familiar?

Gary Random

It's apparently not a pseudoname. The guys last name is allegedly "Random." He claims to have invented Random Access, and also helped invent the Internet. So far, all I can find about memory-accessing invenstors is Robert Dennard, who invented DRAM, building upon the word of Farber Schlig, and Agusta.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Sounds entirely plausible and not at all like a wind-up, honest guv'nor. BTW if you are interested I have several bridges for sale in London.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Random Access Memory is something so fundamental it couldn't have been "invented" or developed. The Internet wasn't "invented" either, it's a developed system built on earlier key advances in Computer Science like packet switching. For someone to have been instrumental in both the development of modern-day RAM and the Internet would mean they'd be in their late 90s by now.

Also, "Random" isn't a name (well, not in England; there are zero "Random"s in the phone book).

i.e. Someone's pulling your leg.

• User profile image
    jonathansam​pson

AndyC said:
    Sounds entirely plausible and not at all like a wind-up, honest guv'nor. BTW if you are interested I have several bridges for sale in London.
    I don't buy the guy's story, but I figured I'd pass it along. Oh, anybody want to share Nigerian wealth with me? I've gotten a series of emails confirming a transaction of a lifetime.

• User profile image
    AndyC

W3bbo said:
    Random Access Memory is something so fundamental it couldn't have been "invented" or developed. The Internet wasn't "invented" either, it's a developed system built on earlier key advances in Computer Science like packet switching. For someone to have been instrumental in both the development of modern-day RAM and the Internet would mean they'd be in their late 90s by now.

Also, "Random" isn't a name (well, not in England; there are zero "Random"s in the phone book).

It could be a name, however the fact the word dates back to the 15th Century suggests ever so slightly that it didn't arise from the name of a guy who invented computer memory....

• User profile image
    W3bbo

AndyC said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*
    It could be a name, however the fact the word dates back to the 15th Century suggests ever so slightly that it didn't arise from the name of a guy who invented computer memory....
    Well, anything can be a name thanks to Deed Polls; but I don't believe "Random" has ever been adopted as a last name by any sane individual (and I actually did look it up in the phone book).

• User profile image
    AndyC

W3bbo said:
    AndyC said:
    *snip*
    Well, anything can be a name thanks to Deed Polls; but I don't believe "Random" has ever been adopted as a last name by any sane individual (and I actually did look it up in the phone book).
    I'm tempted to change my name to Joe Random now, just to prove a point. Although that would probably still mean it hadn't ever been adopted by any sane person.... Wink

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

W3bbo said:

A quick search of an online phone book shows 84 people with the last name Random in the United States, including a Gary Random living in Florida, and a Joseph Random living just outside DC.  Not that I believe this story's true, but there are people out there with that name.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

CannotResolveSymbol said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*
    A quick search of an online phone book shows 84 people with the last name Random in the United States, including a Gary Random living in Florida, and a Joseph Random living just outside DC.  Not that I believe this story's true, but there are people out there with that name.
    Maybe it was one of the names on Homer Simpsons list he wanted to change his name to:
    Rembrandt Q. Einstein
    Handsome B. Wonderful
    Hercules Rockefeller
    Max Power

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

AndyC said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*
    I'm tempted to change my name to Joe Random now, just to prove a point. Although that would probably still mean it hadn't ever been adopted by any sane person.... Wink
    Gerolsteiner (German company that sells mineral water) now has a competition: the first Belgian to change his last name to Gerolsteiner for at least 5 years wins a white Porche 911.

• User profile image
    AndyC

TommyCarlier said:
    AndyC said:
    *snip*
    Gerolsteiner (German company that sells mineral water) now has a competition: the first Belgian to change his last name to Gerolsteiner for at least 5 years wins a white Porche 911.
    If I were Belgian, I'd do that in a shot.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

AndyC said:
    TommyCarlier said:
    *snip*
    The problem is that the authorities responsible for name changing have already declared they will not allow it. If, by 2010, no-one has managed to do this, they will change the rules so the first one to change his first name to Gerolsteiner will win the Porche.

• User profile image
    SaraJoRedux

TommyCarlier said:
    AndyC said:
    *snip*
    The problem is that the authorities responsible for name changing have already declared they will not allow it. If, by 2010, no-one has managed to do this, they will change the rules so the first one to change his first name to Gerolsteiner will win the Porche.

• User profile image
    Ix

SaraJoRedux said:
    TommyCarlier said:
    *snip*
    omg lol, I hadn't seent that one yet, how awesome

• User profile image
    Bas

AndyC said:
    TommyCarlier said:
    *snip*
    Same here. You can still keep your original name around friends and family, and just use the Gerolsteiner name for paperwork.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.