Coffeehouse Thread

85 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows "Mojave"

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    RamblingGeek​UK

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/214812/nine-out-of-ten-users-love-windows-mojave.html

They sould run a series of tv ads with out mentioning the product name or Micrososft, say 3 or 4 and by the 5th say something simple at the end, like the windows orb then Windows Vista

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Not surprising, but interesting.

• User profile image
    stevo_

PaoloM said:
    Not surprising, but interesting.
    Yep

• User profile image
    Bas

I say out with that video. I wonder how vastly different it is.

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

Bas said:
    I say out with that video. I wonder how vastly different it is.

wow...

edit:
    whoops.  didn't mean to reply to Bas.

• User profile image
    littleguru

stevo_ said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*
    Yep
    Really interesting. Matches with what I have seen... most people who say Vista is crap haven't tested it. As they get it with a new PC they start to ask me questions like: "isn't vista supposed to run slower than XP?"...

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

littleguru said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*
    Really interesting. Matches with what I have seen... most people who say Vista is crap haven't tested it. As they get it with a new PC they start to ask me questions like: "isn't vista supposed to run slower than XP?"...
    I have a neighbor who has Vista on a new PC, she was having problems with her PC, and because someone told her Vista is bad, she assumes its because of Vista and so she asked me help her to downgrade to XP.

• User profile image
    harumscarum

Anyone can make a video look good. Ask them to use it for a week and then let them respond.

• User profile image
    littleguru

harumscarum said:
    Anyone can make a video look good. Ask them to use it for a week and then let them respond.
    For the records: the same applies for the opposite too.

• User profile image
    Dovella

littleguru said:
    harumscarum said:
    *snip*
    For the records: the same applies for the opposite too.
    were is video?

• User profile image
    spivonious

Dovella said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*
    were is video?
    Yeah, I want to see this video too.  I love Vista, but have a hard time believing that "Mojave" would fool users who already tried Vista and gave it the boot.

• User profile image
    Detroit Muscle

Let me get this straight, these people just watched a video, and never actually used the OS? And this is the only way MS could get people to like Vista, is by not actually letting them use the OS? And MS is advertising this fact?

• User profile image
    Ray7

Detroit Muscle said:
    Let me get this straight, these people just watched a video, and never actually used the OS? And this is the only way MS could get people to like Vista, is by not actually letting them use the OS? And MS is advertising this fact?
    I don't think the point of the excercise was to get them to like Vista.

It was to see what their reaction to the operating system would be , if they weren't being influenced by negative press and hearsay.

If they let them use the operating system, they would have known it was Vista and said it was crap because someone on the internet said so.

I still think that much of the negativity was down to the poor marketing by Microsoft. Since it was released, they've almost looked as though they were ashamed of it.  Hardly surprising that folk form a negative opinion without even trying it.

From the original CNet article

CNet said:

"I've got to start having that discussion in the marketplace," Veghte said. "I've got to start driving that now. People feel guilty (about Vista). It's wrong."

Is he talking about the developers?

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

Ray7 said:
    Detroit Muscle said:
    *snip*

Is he talking about the developers?

I really like Vista and enjoy using it, but I think part of the problem with people not realizing there's a lot there is that a lot of the features aren't easily discoverable and the interface isn't completely unified.

For one, many people don't realize the advanced search capabilities in Vista, and explorer features like stacking, sorting, grouping. I think thats one thing that Microsoft had planned to do better, but because they had to get Vista out on time they had to get out something simple that worked and didn't lead to more confusion.

There's also a problem in there being many different applications that do similar things, but don't have any integration with one another, like Photo Gallery vs. Explorer vs Media Player. Then, the only way all of these things are discoverable by the user is looking through the list of All Programs on the Start Menu; Windows needs a more organized way of presenting applications to users; hopefully something is planned for Windows 7.

But I think its obvious some of whats influencing people's views is just the negativity surrounding Vista. As I mentioned, even though my neighbor's computer came with Vista pre-installed she blamed it for all of her problems, just because someone told her Vista was bad. She brought it into someplace to fix, but after looking at it, they seemed to have done a lot of things that didn't help, including things that made her experience worse, while not addressing the real issues. One thing she was complaining about was that the computer would shut down when she didn't want it to, it turns out it was just her power settings.

Not just aero, but theming was disabled, so she was running in classic mode, even though she has a 4.0 rating on the Windows Experience Index (128mb graphics memory). When I asked her if I could enable all of this in Windows, she didn't even realize it was disabled. Whoever did that also changed the start menu to the classic menu without asking her. The person also told her to use Safari (not Firefox--Safari), and replaced Windows Sidebar with Google Sidebar. Apparently whoever helped her hated Microsoft and blamed Microsoft programs for all of her problems.

Meanwhile she has three toolbars in IE she doesn't need, a lot of useless programs that load up on the system tray, her desktop is cluttered with icons. She had an older version of her anti-virus program that I don't think worked well with Vista, so I upgraded it. She also had several update installers running in the background, that were having problems, including for Adobe Reader 7.  That was having problems with Vista, because version 7 has compatibility problems with Vista, and because the computer came with Vista I have no idea why it was installed in the first place. I cancelled that, and downloaded Adobe Reader 9. Windows apparently downloaded SP1, but nobody went through and installed it. I don't think she would have even noticed it with all the junk on her screen.

So I asked if it was okay if I could set up her computer in the way that I thought would make it easiest for her to use, and she agreed to that.

So I'm setting Windows Vista back to default settings, getting rid of a lot of useless things, and I don't see any problems with it on her machine whatsoever.

• User profile image
    Dovella

brian.shapiro said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*
    I really like Vista and enjoy using it, but I think part of the problem with people not realizing there's a lot there is that a lot of the features aren't easily discoverable and the interface isn't completely unified.

For one, many people don't realize the advanced search capabilities in Vista, and explorer features like stacking, sorting, grouping. I think thats one thing that Microsoft had planned to do better, but because they had to get Vista out on time they had to get out something simple that worked and didn't lead to more confusion.

There's also a problem in there being many different applications that do similar things, but don't have any integration with one another, like Photo Gallery vs. Explorer vs Media Player. Then, the only way all of these things are discoverable by the user is looking through the list of All Programs on the Start Menu; Windows needs a more organized way of presenting applications to users; hopefully something is planned for Windows 7.

But I think its obvious some of whats influencing people's views is just the negativity surrounding Vista. As I mentioned, even though my neighbor's computer came with Vista pre-installed she blamed it for all of her problems, just because someone told her Vista was bad. She brought it into someplace to fix, but after looking at it, they seemed to have done a lot of things that didn't help, including things that made her experience worse, while not addressing the real issues. One thing she was complaining about was that the computer would shut down when she didn't want it to, it turns out it was just her power settings.

Not just aero, but theming was disabled, so she was running in classic mode, even though she has a 4.0 rating on the Windows Experience Index (128mb graphics memory). When I asked her if I could enable all of this in Windows, she didn't even realize it was disabled. Whoever did that also changed the start menu to the classic menu without asking her. The person also told her to use Safari (not Firefox--Safari), and replaced Windows Sidebar with Google Sidebar. Apparently whoever helped her hated Microsoft and blamed Microsoft programs for all of her problems.

Meanwhile she has three toolbars in IE she doesn't need, a lot of useless programs that load up on the system tray, her desktop is cluttered with icons. She had an older version of her anti-virus program that I don't think worked well with Vista, so I upgraded it. She also had several update installers running in the background, that were having problems, including for Adobe Reader 7.  That was having problems with Vista, because version 7 has compatibility problems with Vista, and because the computer came with Vista I have no idea why it was installed in the first place. I cancelled that, and downloaded Adobe Reader 9. Windows apparently downloaded SP1, but nobody went through and installed it. I don't think she would have even noticed it with all the junk on her screen.

So I asked if it was okay if I could set up her computer in the way that I thought would make it easiest for her to use, and she agreed to that.

So I'm setting Windows Vista back to default settings, getting rid of a lot of useless things, and I don't see any problems with it on her machine whatsoever.
    29 July
    Moave video

WOW

http://www.mojaveexperiment.com/

start countdown Big Smile Big Smile

• User profile image
    dentaku

brian.shapiro said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*

There are so many stressed out old guys in computer stores who hate change. They just stopped using Windows 2000 recently and have no clue about what the average user needs. They're the least cool people in the world so if they can jump into the cool guy camp of Vista haters they will do it and spread their ignorance to all the uninformed moms and dads who enter their store. They will disable anything modern on thier customers computers and install weird stuff that just makes the machine worse and that the average user doesn't need.

Of coure big OEMs make the problem worse too by installing so much useless shovelware that it makes the computer a chore to use. Because it's cool to dislike Vista many people will think that the problem with their new computer is that it has Vista on it but in fact it's the only thing that actually works well and the useless junk is slowing them down and annoying.
    Most people think Office is part of windows so how are they supposed to know that HP's shovelware (for example) or Google Desktop isn't also part of the OS?
    I hate to sound like a conspiracy nut but doesn't it seem like iTunes for Windows has been needlessly problematic and that Apple likes it that way because it makes Vista look bad?

I see that Dell is advertising Live Photo Gallery on their TV adds now. At least one company is bundling something useful with their machines.
    I still wish they'd just give the option to buy a new machine with nothing but the OS.  The Vostro line can be ordered with a nice clean OS  but the consumer ones still can't which is a shame because it just annoys people and makes Vista look bad.

Everyone should get on Ideastorm and take up the anti-shovelware cause.

rant rant rant... Wink

• User profile image
    Bas

dentaku said:
    brian.shapiro said:
    *snip*
    There are so many stressed out old guys in computer stores who hate change. They just stopped using Windows 2000 recently and have no clue about what the average user needs. They're the least cool people in the world so if they can jump into the cool guy camp of Vista haters they will do it and spread their ignorance to all the uninformed moms and dads who enter their store. They will disable anything modern on thier customers computers and install weird stuff that just makes the machine worse and that the average user doesn't need.

Of coure big OEMs make the problem worse too by installing so much useless shovelware that it makes the computer a chore to use. Because it's cool to dislike Vista many people will think that the problem with their new computer is that it has Vista on it but in fact it's the only thing that actually works well and the useless junk is slowing them down and annoying.
    Most people think Office is part of windows so how are they supposed to know that HP's shovelware (for example) or Google Desktop isn't also part of the OS?
    I hate to sound like a conspiracy nut but doesn't it seem like iTunes for Windows has been needlessly problematic and that Apple likes it that way because it makes Vista look bad?

I see that Dell is advertising Live Photo Gallery on their TV adds now. At least one company is bundling something useful with their machines.
    I still wish they'd just give the option to buy a new machine with nothing but the OS.  The Vostro line can be ordered with a nice clean OS  but the consumer ones still can't which is a shame because it just annoys people and makes Vista look bad.

Everyone should get on Ideastorm and take up the anti-shovelware cause.

rant rant rant... Wink
    My XPS laptop came with a crapware-less Vista DVD, and all the drivers and crapware on a separate disc. Of course, that still isn't the same as preinstalled, which means the average user won't benefit from it.

• User profile image
    dentaku

Bas said:
    dentaku said:
    *snip*
    My XPS laptop came with a crapware-less Vista DVD, and all the drivers and crapware on a separate disc. Of course, that still isn't the same as preinstalled, which means the average user won't benefit from it.
    Yeah, but at least it's a start.
    The Vostro systems can be ordered with nothing extra on them but they still haven't done that with the inspirons.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.