Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Desperate non-story at Linux.com

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ray7

And this is what they call a feature?

Veteran developer ditches Microsoft for Open Source

I cannot begin to imagine the number of happy/unhappy contractors who have worked for Microsoft over the years. Can't see what's so special about a disgruntled one that warrants a whole page for a Linux gloat (which he doesn't appear to be using.)

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

The dude is now so rich, he doesnt need to work anymore.

That's why he is devoting his life to charity.

• User profile image
    CKurt

Maddus Mattus said:

LOLZ

He went back to the way he programmed 10 years ago... so now he's just slow and al the competitors have there product on the market mush earlier.

It will eventualy become impossible to teach students everything from the basics up to the deep stuff in 3 years. (It is already) So what microsoft is doing is making sure you can still build apps that are currently of ANY value when you leave school. Okay you might not know about the assembly code that is produced by the compiler to make the machine understand. But at least you have got a preatty fancy program that does something.

• User profile image
    Pace

Maddus Mattus said:

lol! nice point

• User profile image
    Bass

If it's a desperate non-story why exactly are you posting it? Is it important enough for Channel 9?

• User profile image
    Bas

Bass said:
    If it's a desperate non-story why exactly are you posting it? Is it important enough for Channel 9?
    Because there's an unintended added value by the fact that somebody can gloat so confidently over something that is such a non-issue. It's like watching an Uwe Boll movie.

• User profile image
    Ray7

Bass said:
    I'm not posting about the story, I'm posting about the depth of the barrel that Linux.com is willing to scrape,  in its desperate attempt to have a pop at Microsoft.

I mean I know a bloke who was unhappy contracting for Microsoft, right up until the day he took a permanent job with them.

• User profile image
    Ray7

CKurt said:
    Maddus Mattus said:
    *snip*
    LOLZ

He went back to the way he programmed 10 years ago... so now he's just slow and al the competitors have there product on the market mush earlier.

It will eventualy become impossible to teach students everything from the basics up to the deep stuff in 3 years. (It is already) So what microsoft is doing is making sure you can still build apps that are currently of ANY value when you leave school. Okay you might not know about the assembly code that is produced by the compiler to make the machine understand. But at least you have got a preatty fancy program that does something.
    I wonder if they still teach assembly programming on CS courses these days.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Ray7 said:
    CKurt said:
    *snip*
    I wonder if they still teach assembly programming on CS courses these days.

Our computer engineering department teaches 68HC12 assembly, but I don't know if our CS department teaches any assembly now.

We are still primarily a C/C++ school, though.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

CannotResolveSymbol said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*
    Our computer engineering department teaches 68HC12 assembly, but I don't know if our CS department teaches any assembly now.

The irony of using RoR and not "contibuting to the death of programming" shouldn't escape anyone Smiley

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

Ray7 said:
    *snip*

In Berkeley CS, there's a required course in assembly. Their focus is more academic than practical, so the first three courses go from Scheme to Java (and briefly understanding pointers in C++) to Assembly.

• User profile image
    Ray7

Linux.com said:

It was good work that paid well. But over the last several years, changes crept in that began to bother Gunderloy. "I saw Office 2007 really, really early -- alpha code. I gave feedback on parts of the code I was less than satisfied with. It was pretty clear my feedback and that of others was pretty much ignored. That was different from [my experiences with] Office 97, 2000, and 2003. It seems the Office team felt they didn't need any outside" opinions, Gunderloy recalls.

Is it even remotely possible that the Office Team did listen, but just disagreed?

• User profile image
    Bass

brian.shapiro said:
    *snip*
    In Berkeley CS, there's a required course in assembly. Their focus is more academic than practical, so the first three courses go from Scheme to Java (and briefly understanding pointers in C++) to Assembly.
    Academic institutions teaching academically. The horror. :o

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.