Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Randy Pausch

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    eagle

    Randy Pausch loses battle with pancreatic cancer at 47

    Randy Pausch, noted CMU prof, succumbs to cancer 

    In May Randy spoke at the Carnegie Mellon University commencement ...we don't beat the Reaper by living longer. We beat the Reaper by living well.

  • User profile image
    jeffsand

    an amazing life.

  • User profile image
    Dan

    It's sad, if you haven't yet, watch his "last lecture" video.

  • User profile image
    wisemx

    Dan said:
    It's sad, if you haven't yet, watch his "last lecture" video.

    He was a great guy, I've admired his community teaching and works for years.

  • User profile image
    Bas

    Aw, too bad. That Last Lecture was amazing.

  • User profile image
    stevo_

    Bas said:
    Aw, too bad. That Last Lecture was amazing.
    That lecture was fantastic..

  • User profile image
    Deactivated User

    Comment removed at user's request.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Dan said:
    It's sad, if you haven't yet, watch his "last lecture" video.

    I finally got around to watching it (I remember seeing it on digg back when it was published but never clicked it). Whilst it's meant to be uplifting, I found the whole thing depressing and now I feel demotivated.

  • User profile image
    stevo_

    W3bbo said:
    Dan said:
    *snip*
    I finally got around to watching it (I remember seeing it on digg back when it was published but never clicked it). Whilst it's meant to be uplifting, I found the whole thing depressing and now I feel demotivated.
    I don't think anyone else got that w3bbo.. your just too much like marvin (the paranoid android).

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    stevo_ said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*
    I don't think anyone else got that w3bbo.. your just too much like marvin (the paranoid android).
    I'm very existentialist (right now) and things like death (in a personal sense) get to me in a profound way.

  • User profile image
    Dan

    W3bbo said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*
    I'm very existentialist (right now) and things like death (in a personal sense) get to me in a profound way.

    I hear you man, sorry, I didn't mean to bring you down, that whole mortality thing sucks and I can imagine that watching the video now, after he's passed would be harder. That being said, you should take this in a positive light, we are only handed a few cards so play them as best you can.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Dan said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

    I hear you man, sorry, I didn't mean to bring you down, that whole mortality thing sucks and I can imagine that watching the video now, after he's passed would be harder. That being said, you should take this in a positive light, we are only handed a few cards so play them as best you can.

    Now don't you start taking it personally Wink It was good of you to post the video; sure, I felt slightly bad initially, but I've found more motiviation. Dare I suggest he's made me seriously consider being a Professor (rather than cop-out after becoming a Doctorate, my original plan).

  • User profile image
    Rd_Falcon

    Wow, that was a really great lecture.  It really made me think about all that there is to do yet, and that you never know where life will take you.  Thanks for sharing that video.

  • User profile image
    Zeus

    I have watched the last lecutre a couple of times, and bought the book too ... loved his outlook on life, and his illness. Really sad to see him go ...

  • User profile image
    La Bomba

    Zeus said:
    I have watched the last lecutre a couple of times, and bought the book too ... loved his outlook on life, and his illness. Really sad to see him go ...

    It was a great lecture...and it was for his kids, some great advice in there. What a winner.

  • User profile image
    MasterPi

    La Bomba said:
    Zeus said:
    *snip*

    It was a great lecture...and it was for his kids, some great advice in there. What a winner.

    He was an amazing guy and his lecture was great.

    Ironically, I just received his book in the mail as part of orientation. Can't wait to get started on it. 

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.