Coffeehouse Thread

4 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

excel 2007 whats going on with vlookup?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Pace

Create a new worksheet with 3 rows
    a
    b
    c

now in a new worksheet create 3 rows with 2 colums
    a  1
    b  2
    c  3

do a vlookup on the first sheet on the second column, =VLOOKUP(A:A,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE)
    do the plus expandy thingy that copies it down.

What do you see?

I get
    a 1
    b 1
    c 1

• User profile image
    Rd_Falcon

I did it, and had some wierd results.  The first time I did it, I ended up with this:

A True
    B True
    C True

And that was with a copy and paste of the formula that you provided.  I then went back and entered the formula manually, and I got the results that you were expecting to get of A 1, B2, C3.  Does it change anything if you leave the false out of the formula to where it is just =vlookup(A:A,Sheet2!,A:B,2)? 

• User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

Works for me.  I get A/1, B/2, C/3.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

What happens if you change your formula to =vlookup(a1,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE) and copy it down (so a1 becomes a2, a3 etc.)?

VLOOKUP expects a value in the first parameter. Perhaps there's a bug or undocumented change in behavior (aka: bug) in Excel 2007 when passed a range (a:a). Your version worked as expected for me in Excel 2003.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.