Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Microsoft Office Accounting Professional 2008

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    wisemx

    One of my customers still uses Peachtree Classic but wants to switch.
    They do it all so next package needs to be good.
     I'm going to recommend Microsoft Office Accounting Professional 2008.
     Any input?

    Note: They are not willing to move up to large packages like Msft Dynamics.
    It is important for them that their Finance Secretary can manage the accounting package.

    Thanks Big Smile

  • User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

    Speaking of which, I just found a free version of Microsoft Office Accounting on their website, an Express edition

  • User profile image
    wisemx

    brian.shapiro said:
    Speaking of which, I just found a free version of Microsoft Office Accounting on their website, an Express edition
    Yeah, that is pretty cool.
    You can compare Editions:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/accounting/FX102462271033.aspx

    I'm not going to recommend the Express version to them, the Pro version has an attractive price I think.

  • User profile image
    DCMonkey

    We use Quickbooks here. While it's not perfect it does the job and "everyone else" uses it. It also has an API (XML messages with an optional COM wrapper) if you need that kind of thing.

    I looked at SBA a couple of years ago and found it a bit lacking. A limit of 1 level of subaccount made it a no-go here (we go up to about 4 levels here on one of our companies), though they've apparently extended that to 5 levels in the 2008 version.

    It would help if you could say why they want to switch away from their current package.

     

  • User profile image
    wisemx

    DCMonkey said:

    We use Quickbooks here. While it's not perfect it does the job and "everyone else" uses it. It also has an API (XML messages with an optional COM wrapper) if you need that kind of thing.

    I looked at SBA a couple of years ago and found it a bit lacking. A limit of 1 level of subaccount made it a no-go here (we go up to about 4 levels here on one of our companies), though they've apparently extended that to 5 levels in the 2008 version.

    It would help if you could say why they want to switch away from their current package.

     

    They have been spending a fortune on upgrades and annual tax updates for payroll and invoicing.
    The other factors are a lack of decent backups and the DOS like interface in Windows that has remained.
    One additional quirk has been the lack of support, which is paid for through 3rd party support now.

    This is for a fairly large construction company, not a Tech savvy person in the entire operation. Big Smile

  • User profile image
    DCMonkey

    wisemx said:
    DCMonkey said:
    *snip*
    They have been spending a fortune on upgrades and annual tax updates for payroll and invoicing.
    The other factors are a lack of decent backups and the DOS like interface in Windows that has remained.
    One additional quirk has been the lack of support, which is paid for through 3rd party support now.

    This is for a fairly large construction company, not a Tech savvy person in the entire operation. Big Smile
    Well you won't escape the tax update treadmill with QB. And though they do put a new version out every year, we usually stay on one version until the payroll subscription stops supporting it. We just updated from 2005 to 2008 because of this.

    How many people need to access it? QB is limited to 5 unless you go with the IMHO overpriced "Enterprise" version.

    I don't know what Intuit's direct support is like, but they have an official community forum and there is at least one other 3rd party forum I'm aware of. They also have a "ProAdvisor" program for accountants that support Quickbooks.

    As for backups, a company is just 1 file, so just backup that one file. It used to be a proprietary file-based DB format, but now its a real server based format (based on Sybase I think). But the data is still in one file.

    The UI isn't the greatest, especially visually, and there are some annoying quirks (why someone put the OK button on the right in one of the newer dialogs I don't know), but it is pretty efficient for keyboard data entry (good autocomplete) as well as just clicking around.

    Transfering the existing data could be an issue with any new system, and I'd probably get an accountant that knows Quickbooks or whatever you switch to to make sure things are set right from the beginning.

  • User profile image
    wisemx

    DCMonkey said:
    wisemx said:
    *snip*
    Well you won't escape the tax update treadmill with QB. And though they do put a new version out every year, we usually stay on one version until the payroll subscription stops supporting it. We just updated from 2005 to 2008 because of this.

    How many people need to access it? QB is limited to 5 unless you go with the IMHO overpriced "Enterprise" version.

    I don't know what Intuit's direct support is like, but they have an official community forum and there is at least one other 3rd party forum I'm aware of. They also have a "ProAdvisor" program for accountants that support Quickbooks.

    As for backups, a company is just 1 file, so just backup that one file. It used to be a proprietary file-based DB format, but now its a real server based format (based on Sybase I think). But the data is still in one file.

    The UI isn't the greatest, especially visually, and there are some annoying quirks (why someone put the OK button on the right in one of the newer dialogs I don't know), but it is pretty efficient for keyboard data entry (good autocomplete) as well as just clicking around.

    Transfering the existing data could be an issue with any new system, and I'd probably get an accountant that knows Quickbooks or whatever you switch to to make sure things are set right from the beginning.

    Thanks..Lots of info there but I'm interested if the Msft Office Accounting Pro 2008 is good for them.
    As for how many people, only one person is allowed in the finance room.
    There are however large FIFO accounts and payrolls.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.